Sponsored by:

Noob and a high mileage CT

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Diesel Dog
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noob and a high mileage CT

Greetings all, yes it's fresh meat, be nice.

Previous Porsche owner of a few different beasts, never a Cayenne, and all older models. Big car guy and have some knowledge of repairing them internally combusted engines, so not totally useless at maintaining my own stuff.

Here's the question, what's "too many miles" on an '04 CT. I can pick one up at a reasonable price, for this area, but it's high mileage, around 110K miles. I haven't gone to check coolant tubes yet, and I'm prepared to do coils if need be. What else should I expect to need to replace at this kind of longevity?

I have been told all dealer service has been done and there are the records to prove it, I have not seen them yet, but do believe it to be true. Last fact of note, there no stealership where I live, almost 4 hours trip to the nearest official representative who will take my money.

All opinions and comments welcome

Cheers

Dog
Old 02-19-2010, 02:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fore !
Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel Dog
Greetings all, yes it's fresh meat, be nice.

Previous Porsche owner of a few different beasts, never a Cayenne, and all older models. Big car guy and have some knowledge of repairing them internally combusted engines, so not totally useless at maintaining my own stuff.

Here's the question, what's "too many miles" on an '04 CT. I can pick one up at a reasonable price, for this area, but it's high mileage, around 110K miles. I haven't gone to check coolant tubes yet, and I'm prepared to do coils if need be. What else should I expect to need to replace at this kind of longevity?

I have been told all dealer service has been done and there are the records to prove it, I have not seen them yet, but do believe it to be true. Last fact of note, there no stealership where I live, almost 4 hours trip to the nearest official representative who will take my money.

All opinions and comments welcome

Cheers

Dog
It's an 04, low teens I hope for the price...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:08 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it, don't be scared...what's the worse that could happen?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whazzup, Dog!

Do you REALLY have to get a p!g with THAT many miles on it and an '04 of all years?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If I may be 'optimistic' for a brief moment....

Veteran RL member 'T2' has 250,000 miles on his 03 996 Turbo and (IIRC), 175,000 miles on his Turbo P!g.

He is also in complete control of his faculties and a great person...so clearly he is the exception rather than the rule.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Diesel Dog
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really....

have to buy that p!g.... no, but it is the only Turbo I've seen that wouldn't cause me to have a third ex wife. There's lot's of S's around, '05's and '06's but only that one CT. So I gather it's the strong recommendation of the learned, '04 - bad, high miles - bad. Anybody got a newer, less miles, CT for $20k??
Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see why these things should not be as reliable as many other Porsche cars that get into the hundreds of thousands of miles.

I think at this point it is simply untracked territory for most of the owners with relatively low mile Cayennes.

My impression is that *most* of the current owners are not DIY high mileage type of owners. They are new car, warranty type of owners.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:12 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I could be serious for a moment....I would want to see the records, and perhaps more important than routine maint. I would want to know what TSBs, Parts, and Issues have been addressed while the P!G was under warranty.

Then we will know what you have left to go wrong with the car.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cole
I don't see why these things should not be as reliable as many other Porsche cars that get into the hundreds of thousands of miles.

I think at this point it is simply untracked territory for most of the owners with relatively low mile Cayennes.

My impression is that *most* of the current owners are not DIY high mileage type of owners. They are new car, warranty type of owners.
I'm assuming you arrived late to this movie....
Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

and when at the movies, it's customary to bring lots of

- signed,

a high mileage owner, who had the p!g since it was brand new
Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I'm assuming you arrived late to this movie....

I've been reading hundreds of threads on the Cayenne. I don't see anything that indicates a car that can't last hundreds of thousands of miles with reasonable care.

EVERY car has issues.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cole
I've been reading hundreds of threads on the Cayenne. I don't see anything that indicates a car that can't last hundreds of thousands of miles with reasonable care.

EVERY car has issues.
Define "reasonable care"...

IMHO, owning a high mileage naked Cayenne is the equivalent of an automotive "Do Not Resuscitate" order.
It's sometimes better to just let go...trust me, been there, done that. I buried Larry and the Cayenne.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Well, if "reasonable care" = replacing every single part and sometimes more than once, and sometimes more than twice, then yes - OP should definitely go ahead with that '04 110k p!g
Old 02-19-2010, 09:31 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is reason why people stay away from the 1st or 2nd year production models and high mileage cars.

This CTT satisfies these conditions, I would definitely stay away, unless have a warranty to cover bumper to bumper.

$20k for CTT? I haven't seen them go that far yet.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Noob and a high mileage CT