Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

light brown creamy substance inside oil cap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Shikku
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light brown creamy substance inside oil cap??

I recently added a 2003 Cayenne turbo to my list of turbo vehicles (rare 93 Supra hard top 6spd 650+hp at wheels, and 94 Supra Targa 6spd 400+hp at wheels).

For some reason when I was checking the oil level the other day I decided to look under the oil cap and noticed a light brown (think coffee ice cream color) creamy like substance. Any ideas???

Also, middle digital gauge started blinking and is now completely blank. Nashville Porsche said it was probably the radio or amp...anyone with similar experience?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

I can't comment on the display... it certainly could be something to do with the amp or the head unit.

As for the oil, I've seen this on other cars, although not on my Cayenne. Typically this is caused by condensation that gathers under the cap, mixes with the residual oil there and emulsifies into the creamy goo you see under your oil cap. This tends to happen if you drive lots of short trips where the engine never has enough time to properly warm up. It can also happen in very cold climates where the car is driven every day. I see it in the filler neck on my 996, and also on the dipstick on my son's Volvo during winter months. If you want a little more peace of mind, I'd recommend sending an oil sample off to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis. Look for them on the web at www.blackstone-labs.com and they'll send you a free test kit.

If this is, in fact, your issue - it can also be resolved by more frequent oil changes.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

The cream is oil and water vapour from running the car on short trips which do not allow it to burn off the moisture in the oil.
This is normal. Specially in colder months. Also if you take it for a long drive you'll find that the oil level will drop quite a bit due to the moisture in the oil getting burnt off. So bring a extra bottle of oil with you. They explain it in the owners manual somewhere better.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very common, especially in 911's.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Shikku
AutoX

Wow. Thanks to everyone for their input. I do all the work on my Supras and have done the maintenance on most of my cars 20+ years including VW, BMW, Audi etc. Never noticed this before; maybe because I am **** about changing my oil...on the Supras I use Mobil1 synthetic, but still change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles.

Another question...Can you upgrade the CD Nav-Stereo (PCM) to a DVD unit?

Thanks again,
Aaron
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

In regards to the light brown goo.......I have the same issue on both VW's and the 911.

No worries.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 AM
bbcoach51
Intermediate

Default CD to DVD Nav

Aaron, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. I'm in the process of purchasing a used PCM2.1 head unit, dvd drive and new cable. I can't believe how confusing the numbering of each part is. I'll let you know how it turns out. Not cheap, even buying used. Butch
Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you doing messing around with that oil cap? You're going to void the warranty screwing around in there. The only people qualified to work on that oil cap are at your Porsche dealer, I strongly suggest you take it there next time you think it needs attention.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Shikku
AutoX

Originally Posted by richc
What are you doing messing around with that oil cap? You're going to void the warranty screwing around in there. The only people qualified to work on that oil cap are at your Porsche dealer, I strongly suggest you take it there next time you think it needs attention.
Should have done my research on this point prior to buying Porsche....I like working on my own car...cant even find a freaking factory service manual...oh well still like driving the Cayenne
Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shikku
Should have done my research on this point prior to buying Porsche....I like working on my own car...cant even find a freaking factory service manual...oh well still like driving the Cayenne
Just so you know he's only pulling your chain. Many of us work on our Porsche's, I do most of the work on my Cayenne and all the work on the 993.

Quick Reply: light brown creamy substance inside oil cap??