transmission strangeness?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission strangeness?

Or maybe its normal?

On my '06 S, Auto tranny, After I put it in reverse to get out of a parking spot, then put it in drive, there is like a hesitation when I start off. Its not always, generally when its cold. This morning I swear once I put it in D (D2) and took off it seemed OK, but then I felt a clunk after I got to a couple mph.

This a sign of things to come? 60K on it, and just last week I had the 60K $ervice done at the dealer, and all was well according to them.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mxquattro
Or maybe its normal?

On my '06 S, Auto tranny, After I put it in reverse to get out of a parking spot, then put it in drive, there is like a hesitation when I start off. Its not always, generally when its cold. This morning I swear once I put it in D (D2) and took off it seemed OK, but then I felt a clunk after I got to a couple mph.

This a sign of things to come? 60K on it, and just last week I had the 60K $ervice done at the dealer, and all was well according to them.
My touareg has been doing the same thing since it was new. I have 68k on it. Was always told it was fine. Feels like a slow shift from reverse to foward in the tranny to me.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

exactly! Sometimes it almost feels like an engine hesitation but its tough to tell. Only happens for a split second and only once. 50 feet later it runs perfectly the rest of the day! Thanks for the peace of mind, phew!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:45 PM
colo993
Advanced

I have noticed the same hesitation from my '06 also. Have you noticed after going from reverse to drive that the transmission is in D1 - not the normal D2? Maybe this explains the hesitation?

Paul
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by colo993
I have noticed the same hesitation from my '06 also. Have you noticed after going from reverse to drive that the transmission is in D1 - not the normal D2? Maybe this explains the hesitation?

Paul
If you'll do a search you'll find this is normal when the vehicle is cold, it's to get the car to warm up quicker for emissions reasons.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:39 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

Bill, I think youre thinking about it hanging in the low gear for a bit to warm up the cat. this is something different.

Paul, I havent noticed it going into D1, but I wasnt really paying attention either. Ill be sure to next time.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Alot of P!G owners recommend using paddle shifters at this time to hang in the lower gears to warm it up...........other than that I never use my paddle shifters unless passing or used to do it when towing.

Quick Reply: transmission strangeness?