Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello all. Just acquired a Titanium S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 PM
gamille
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hello all. Just acquired a Titanium S.

First off, thanks for having me here. This is obviously my first post at this forum. My wife and I picked up her Cayenne S about 2 weeks ago. We actually drove out to Texas (from Georgia) to pick it up. The old lady was really set with the Titanium edition and this one is Certified until 2013. And the best part IMO was the mileage. It only had 11500 miles on it. We made a big trip of it and drove it back 800 miles. The thing was and is still rock solid.

Here's a link to the seller's pics: Titanium S

Needless to say my wife is stoked about it. We just had to sort a couple of minor issues... small spot with clearcoat peeled off (where they removed a clear bra). One key broke, and the parking brake wouldn't come fully up due to that little hydraulic arm (apparently a pretty common problem). The last 2 items were both replaced under warranty. I also went ahead and installed a Dension ipod adapter for her and it sounds great.

I really hate starting my stay on the board with a technical question, but there is one item I am still unsure of. I've searched the forum along with google, bing, etc with no direct description of what I'm hearing. I've worked on a lot of vehicles and motorcycles, but my Porsche knowledge is extremely limited. The closest thing I can find in any other posts seems to be a water pump issue, but I guess those were generally found in the 2004 MY.

When we first start the vehicle there is a very noticeable whine coming from the engine. It sounds very similar to air in a power steering pump or a improper belt alignment or tension. The noise absolutely doesn't change if you turn the wheels, though so it leads me away from the PS pump. It is speed related, so I would definitely say an belt driven accessory. As the vehicle heats up, the noise subsides, but doesn't go away completely. The dealer states that they bled the PS pump. They say the noise is still there but is normal for the vehicle. I just have a hard time with that. It is definitely dominant over the exhaust note when the vehicle is cold and is about all you can hear. The dealer offered to have a foreman listen to it if I wanted. It did pass a CPO inspection and had a second dealer okay it as well so maybe I am just paranoid. Can these things have that much accessory belt noise? Or would most say that it is a fairly quite engine?

Again thanks for having me here... and for those that actually felt like reading through all of that, thanks for your help as well, Jason.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome and congratulations.

Regarding your problem, I would suggest sending a PM to our resident expert....Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon (oh, the things he has seen and lived to talk about) and Cayenne Grief Counselor (a full time job)....Porsche52
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 PM
gamille
Advanced

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have to ask... are you serious about PM'ing Porsche52 or is this a running joke? In my searches, I found that there are some references in past threads about troubled owners that have gone through hell and back.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 PM
colo993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gamille,

I recently purchased a '06 Titanium S also. I have noticed the same whine and asked the dealer about it when I observed another '06 Titanium with the same noise. The dealer explained that the power steering pumps on Cayenne's tend to be noisy especially on colder days. He said that this was normal and nothing to be worried about. I've heard a total of three Cayennes with the same noise so I am not too concerned.

Enjoy your new Cayenne!

Paul
Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 PM
gamille
Advanced

Thanks Paul. That sounds very fair to me. I believe I'll get the wife to pick it up tomorrow. I've not heard any 06's or older... we had driven 2010's, so it wasn't really fair to compare it to those. Not to mention all of those were driven in 60F + weather. That may explain why we didn't notice it as much in Dallas.

We are extremely pleased with the vehicle. I was actually looking to get a CPO 911 C4S, when we test drove the Cayenne S for my wife. We were both extremely impressed and our search started immediately. Right now, the vehicle should be 99.9% perfect, as we had the small paint spot touched up along with a few minor wheel scrapes just a few days ago.

My wife is going to be tickled pink when she listens to the ipod on the way back from the dealer.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are the roof rails? That should be included.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gamille
I have to ask... are you serious about PM'ing Porsche52 or is this a running joke?
Do a forum search for contributions by 'Porsche52'...you'll find out that we are very fortunate to have him here on Rennlist.

In my searches, I found that there are some references in past threads about troubled owners that have gone through hell and back.
Troubled owners? Names, I want names.
There are no troubled Cayennes...owners who complain are usually "dealt with" and "never heard from again".
Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 788 Posts

The whine from the engine is pretty common. Mine does it, and has as long as I can remember. I've actually had people ask me it I had a supercharger because of it.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 PM
wengqi
AutoX

beautiful ride. love how sleek it looks with everything in titanium
Old 03-20-2010, 12:05 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Its just the fluxcapacitator, do a forum search ........welcome to the bipolar lifestyle forum of Cayenne ownership!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:10 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We actually drove out to Texas (from Georgia) to pick it up. The old lady was really set with the Titanium edition and this one is Certified until 2013. And the best part IMO was the mileage. It only had 11500 miles on it. We made a big trip of it and drove it back 800 miles. The thing was and is still rock solid.
So I am hoping you do have a dealer close enough to perform the maintenance for the warranty? I would definitely reach out to the other Rennlisters in your area and ask for recommended dealers.......read the "To Do" list for input on several common failures and issues.........cardan shaft, coils, etc.......its worth its weight in gold.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Congrats and welcome on the new ride, Jason. I looked at that same Cayenne a month ago, and it was nice and clean. The low miles and CPO are definitely a big plus. I also recall the same whine, although not as loud as you described. Nice choice on the Dension, your wife will love it.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:46 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

congrats very nice car..
Old 03-21-2010, 10:43 AM
sokoloff
AutoX

I'm shopping for a Cayenne S right now, and having been dutifully reading and S-ing TFF, but haven't come across the "to do" list @cordsig79 mentions, nor does a google search in site:rennlist.com bring it up (at least not for me).

Have a direct pointer (or even stronger hints) to find that?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"To do" list is most likely a reference to 12 pages of the POST YOUR REPAIRS / WARRANTY HERE thread at the top of the main page of this forum.

Quick Reply: Hello all. Just acquired a Titanium S.