Sponsored by:

2009 Cayenne Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Hwy9runner
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 Cayenne Turbo S

I purchased my cayenne back in December and now it has about 5k miles on it. One issue that drives my crazy is the brakes. Once they get dust on the wheels, from about 25mph to 0mph when brakining, they make a metal on metal sound. When I apply them hard, it stops. The dealership says its normal but its really annoying especially around town when pulling up to a stop sign.

The dealer says its a collection of brake dust on the calibers and to use simple green on them which helps but I am having to do this every 2 weeks to keep the noise down.

Any remedies?

Also...what is the best place to replace them with Brembos. PS...my carrera never did this.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

no remedies, I'm living with mine.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 AM
jtpsocal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCCB...no sqweaks here
Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

I believe that your Turbo S already has Brembos from the factory--my 2006 CTTS does.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STATMAN
I believe that your Turbo S already has Brembos from the factory--my 2006 CTTS does.
Mine too. Just flushed the fluid, which COULD NOT be easier BTW, in mine at the second 2 year mark and the calipers are stamped MADE IN ITALY.

Really great steel brakes sometimes squeak... I drink the koolaid.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 PM
madburg
Advanced

Question, I have an 06 CTTS brakes are at about 50%. So I am looking to pre-purchase all the parts I need. I was hoping to get crossed drill rotors though but can't see to find any of that stock size an width (380mm)? Crazy things is the big brake kit for the regular CTT gives you the 380mm crossdrilled rotors. So those who upgrade at some point in time will need new rotors, but where do u get them, I only see the complete kits around which comes with calipers....

Also is the stock pads the way to go or has anyone gone with others. The wheel are dirty almost immediatley so don't thing there is anything that can be done. Personaly do to the car weigth I do feel the breaks fading when u run the car and don't get a warm fuzzy feelin to continue driving it in such a manner. The rotors glow blue, which is a good thing from my undestanding. So I really would like to flush the fluid and go with a fluid that performance a bit better and brembo crossdrill rotor to help cool as well & telfon brake lines. But from the pads since our wheels will get dirty fast no matter what I woul like to go with something that has about 25% more bite.... We got one hell of a heavy car that is capable of ridiculous performance in an suv. But if u can't save off the speeds fast enougth... hen it's Pointless. Your as fast as you can stop. Otherwise your the guy in the wall, etc...

Anyone can share were to get the croasdrilled rotors and what pads u used for these rotors (size) would be much appreicated.

Last edited by madburg; 05-28-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madburg
Question, I have an 06 CTTS brakes are at about 50%. So I am looking to pre-purchase all the parts I need. I was hoping to get crossed drill rotors though but can't see to find any of that stock size an width (380mm)? Crazy things is the big brake kit for the regular CTT gives you the 380mm crossdrilled rotors. So those who upgrade at some point in time will need new rotors, but where do u get them, I only see the complete kits around which comes with calipers....

Also is the stock pads the way to go or has anyone gone with others. The wheel are dirty almost immediatley so don't thing there is anything that can be done. Personaly do to the car weigth I do feel the breaks fading when u run the car and don't get a warm fuzzy feelin to continue driving it in such a manner. The rotors glow blue, which is a good thing from my undestanding. So I really would like to flush the fluid and go with a fluid that performance a bit better and brembo crossdrill rotor to help cool as well & telfon brake lines. But from the pads since our wheels will get dirty fast no matter what I woul like to go with something that has about 25% more bite.... We got one hell of a heavy car that is capable of ridiculous performance in an suv. But if u can't save off the speeds fast enougth... hen it's Pointless. Your as fast as you can stop. Otherwise your the guy in the wall, etc...

Anyone can share were to get the croasdrilled rotors and what pads u used for these rotors (size) would be much appreicated.
If the pedal is soft and the brakes are still 50%, then your brake fluid is most probably going bad. Brake fluid goes bad as it picks up moisture over time. Manual calls for a flush with new every two year WORST case. If you can jack up a car safely and have a 7mm wrench for the caliper nipples, you're most of the way there.

This is a really monsterous car. 5200 lbs. of SUV that does 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds. I would not switch fluids in the brakes. I'd use Porsche spec fluid for the CTT S. New and fresh is better then something different.

And, I would not switch rotors or pad type. Porsche factory. Firstly, CTT S brakes are freakin' EPIC in size, quality and bite... and they are specifically chosen by Porsche engineers just for the monster that the CTT S is. It would be a cosmetic thing at best to go to cross drilled... bitchin' summer tires would be a better expense... or lighter rims if you dare. Cross drilling is for saving unsprung weight. Period. On a Cayenne TT S? What's the point?

Finally, all the official workshop manuals are available by section and need at porsche.com. Log on, set up an account, search for brake flush on the '09 CTT S ( best to use your VIN ) and download the exact instructions.

You'll need a Motive Bleeder with a Porsche cap on the end... use a vendor that supports this site, get a discount AND good advice, too.

Also, you'll need one liter of Porsche fluid and a rubber nipple "socket" thingy with a bit of clear hose attached and a 250ml Red Bull can to measure the correct 250ml draw from each caliper. Outside nipple first half of the can, inside nipple second half of the can. Pour it back into the empty Porsche brake fluid can and Bob's your uncle. And there is a very specific order of sequence to which calipers get flushed in what order. See the instructions at porsche.com.

Below is a cut and paste of a "how to access porsche.com workshop manuals" post that I cranked out a could of months ago.

Here's whatcha do - go to:

1) http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...orscheservice/

2) When you get there go down to the fifth option titled "Technical Service Information" and click on it.

3) Once you click on "Technical Service Information" it will open a new browser window for PIWIS TSI.

4) Sign up for an account.

5) Once you have an account set up, sign in to the site and go to "General Functions" from the menu on the left side of the PIWIS TSI screen.

6) Once you're in "General Functions" go to "System Requirements" in the upper right.

7) Clicking on "System Requirements" will open a dialog window on top of your browser window. From that dialog window download the lastest Adode Reader, Adobe SVG, and the Side-by-Side plug in. No need to bother with the winzip thing. Never used it.

8) Once all those downloads are on your computer and working go BACK to "General Functions" on the PIWIS TSI home screen and click on "Order Document Access" in the lower left.

9) Use a CC and buy the $10 access.

10) Once you have the $10 in your PIWIS TSI account go BACK to the PIWIS TSI home screen and click on "Vehicle Identification" on the left side.

11) Click on "Identification via VIN" and enter your VIN and finish by clicking "continue" on the far right.

12) You will automatically be returned to the PIWIS TSI home. Once there, click on "Document Search", then click "Default Search", then enter the "Search Terms" Brake Fluid and choose the "Info Type" of WORKSHOP MANUAL from the pull down menu under "Info Type" and THEN click "Start Search".

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-28-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:15 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To the OP,

All Pcars have brakes that squeal when you stop. Do some hard braking and this should go away. Or buy ceramic pads.

For the other poster,

There are no cross drilled rotors for the cayenne, you don't need em, and I wouldn't recommend them.

You can buy Hawk Ceramic Pads, which will virtually eliminate your/our dust problem. I've used them on my V6 and I'm putting them on the V8 next week. I've noticed no loss of braking with these, they are quiet, and clean.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:57 PM
madburg
Advanced

Appreciate everyones comments. As for the hawk pads, I do see any for the CTTS caliper size .

I got mine used and slow getting things done, sound like I need to get my brake fluid flushed asap, may have never been done by previous owner. Thanks guys!

More & more I read it seems that sticking with factory parts, etc is the way to go.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:39 PM
madburg
Advanced

Ok, I signed up on th P-Car site and paid

I was not able to save the PWIS document? only print, is that normal? if I go back to the same document will it charge me again?

WM 470107 - Bleeding the brake system
"Porsche Stability Management does not work without values for the current brake pressure." what does this mean? so I dont screw something up.
WM 470855 - Changing the brake fluid
WM 4700TW - Tightening torques for brake hydraulics

Couple of questions:
1) Do you need to remove the 20" Techno Rims to access both values per caliper?
2) It states use approx. 2.0 bar of pressure, that translates to 29 psi right? I notice on news groups, some where complaining that 15 psi was not working for them.
3) You stated 250ml per caliper bleed (125ml per value) = 1 liter can, but is that enought to bleed out all the old brake fluid? it seems that is what they are stating as well in the WM 470855 manual 250cm^3 per caliper (250ml).

Lastly, this is what I found below for the "Motive Bleeder", is the 45mm the correct cap for a '06 CTTS?
- BLACK LABEL EUROPEAN 2 quart 45mm threaded aluminum adapter (1109) swivel fitting for easier attachment to reservoir.
P/N# 0109 $67.95

Will these tubings from the motive bottles fit the caliper nipples? (I dont mind buying the bottles, instead of using Red Bull cans )
- BLEEDER BOTTLES 500ml (2) bottles with tubing attaches to bleed valve on calipers
P/N# 1820 $21

Any vendor you can recommend before I go with this purchase else where. Dont mind supporting someone that supports these sites. AS long as price and shipping compare. Thanks again for helping me get started with this, I know I really need a Brake fluid change out.

I only worry that I dont get some sort of warning/error from the computer and the car is safe to drive after me doing it
Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
All Pcars have brakes that squeal when you stop. Do some hard braking and this should go away. Or buy ceramic pads.
Huh? I only have a CS but never had a squeak. Never. dave
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM
madburg
Advanced

Johnny, you meantioned "7mm wrench for the caliper nipples", I found mine to be 11mm, is your car a 06 CTTS? I am preparing to swap out to SS brakelines as well.

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne Turbo S