Sponsored by:

2011 Porsche Cayenne S Oil Warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
I have 4k miles and the oil light just came on....for the 2nd time since I purchased the car. Very strange indeed.
Curious, when does the oil light come on? Does it come on as soon as you get to the 0 bar (1 qt low) mark or is it well below that?

Just a suggestion but how often are you actually checking the oil from the dashboard controls? I think I would use that warning msg. as a last resort and not wait for it to tell me to check the oil.

My '06 has the dipstick, even though it has never burned any oil I check it about every 3 gas fill ups.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Curious, when does the oil light come on? Does it come on as soon as you get to the 0 bar (1 qt low) mark or is it well below that?

Just a suggestion but how often are you actually checking the oil from the dashboard controls? I think I would use that warning msg. as a last resort and not wait for it to tell me to check the oil.

My '06 has the dipstick, even though it has never burned any oil I check it about every 3 gas fill ups.
It notifies me the minute that it hits 'low'. I check the oil measure every once in a while when I drive the car so I'm keeping an eye on it. And, consequently, I keep a quart of oil in the car at all times. I'm hoping that winter slows consumption somewhat but I doubt it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 PM
rainmn60
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just put in my 2nd quart of oil at 1900 miles. Not feeling good about it!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Quart # 18, dealer, here I come tomorrow - 1867 miles at 11512K.

Edit: And just to bring it all together:

Quart #1 - 660 miles
Quarts #2-4 - 300 miles
Quart #5 - 850 miles (after an out of state trip, 400+ miles out of which was non-stop highway; otherwise it's mixed city/highway driving)
Quarts #6-8 - 300 miles
Quart #9 - almost 500 miles at almost 3.9K
Quart #10 - 530 miles at 4430K
Quart #11 - 520 miles at 4950K
Quart # 12 - 996 miles at 5946K and the car is getting its first oil change as I type.
Quart # 13 - 676 miles at 6625k.
Quart # 14 - 807 miles at 7447k.
Quart # 15 - 645 miles at 8094K
Quart #16 - 603 miles at 8713K
Quart # 17 - 850 miles at 9584K
Quart # 18 - oil change
Quart # 19 - have to look up, but there was an almost 2k interval after the DME remap (which makes the car run worse)
Quart # 20 - 715.6 miles at 13365
Quart # 21 - 932 miles at 14299 (after an out of state trip, 400 miles of non-stop highway).

My sweet, darling sales person told me to start contacting PCNA. "I'm so excited, I just can't hide it, tra la la la la la la la la la la la"
Old 09-09-2011, 03:34 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Oh, and for the past two times, they can't measure the damn thing correctly. After topping it off, I'm still showing two bars down.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Oh, and for the past two times, they can't measure the damn thing correctly. After topping it off, I'm still showing two bars down.
By "they" do you mean the dealer? I stopped by my dealer this morning to have them check the oil level because at 2350 miles, including a 1000 mile road trip, it still showed "max" and I've added no oil since new. After the horror stories about V8 oil consumption I was wondering if my gauge was working. The point being, the dealer can measure oil level to the millimeter with the Porsche system tester; they don't need to use the gauge. Did they use this method? Is it possible your gauge is malfunctioning and oil is being added when already full, which would cause oil to be burned off? Seems they should be suspicious of the gauge if you can top off and it still reads low. Just sayin'.

BTW, not to make you feel bad but my level was down just 2mm; not enough to register yet on the in dash gauge so I'm basically using no oil. They said I must have been driving the car the way it was meant to be driven. Really.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
By "they" do you mean the dealer? I stopped by my dealer this morning to have them check the oil level because at 2350 miles, including a 1000 mile road trip, it still showed "max" and I've added no oil since new. After the horror stories about V8 oil consumption I was wondering if my gauge was working. The point being, the dealer can measure oil level to the millimeter with the Porsche system tester; they don't need to use the gauge. Did they use this method? Is it possible your gauge is malfunctioning and oil is being added when already full, which would cause oil to be burned off? Seems they should be suspicious of the gauge if you can top off and it still reads low. Just sayin'.

BTW, not to make you feel bad but my level was down just 2mm; not enough to register yet on the in dash gauge so I'm basically using no oil. They said I must have been driving the car the way it was meant to be driven. Really.

They = dealer. They be complaining about bringing back the dipstick, because they be confused about it themselves. They are also getting on my last nerve (the service department), especially when they wanted to charge me for reprogramming the key I forgot to take with me to my dealer in MD when the tail lights were replaced (oh why that thread got closed, I don't know ), until I said that I'll be eagerly awaiting for PCNA to contact me regarding rating my experience with them. Changed their tune immediately
Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Quart # 21 - 932 miles at 14299 (after an out of state trip, 400 miles of non-stop highway).

My sweet, darling sales person told me to start contacting PCNA. "I'm so excited, I just can't hide it, tra la la la la la la la la la la la"
To boldly go where Larry has been before.
Godspeed Pops.

P.S. Their bark is worse than their bite....or so I was told by Larry.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:21 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Larry, I won't go into PCNA baldly. Leg-fur season is upon us, after all.

Oh, wait. You said boldly
Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

They = dealer. They be complaining about bringing back the dipstick, because they be confused about it themselves. They are also getting on my last nerve (the service department), especially when they wanted to charge me for reprogramming the key I forgot to take with me to my dealer in MD when the tail lights were replaced (oh why that thread got closed, I don't know ), until I said that I'll be eagerly awaiting for PCNA to contact me regarding rating my experience with them. Changed their tune immediately
Sorry for your troubles; sounds like your service department isn't firing on all cylinders and not properly using the tools at their disposal. I'd still be suspicious of a gauge that reads low even after topping up. Godspeed indeed....
Old 09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Cheesus, you're all so serious with this "godspeed" stuff. It'll be fun. I promise
Old 09-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

All, wait correct that, most, no, many of the good threads get closed around here. We have to go to the 997 forum for the best.

So, do I understand you have to take BOTH keys with you when you get the TAILLIGHT assy replaced?? Did they tell you that up front?

Look forward to Mr. Divot's comments on this.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:11 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Need both keys. Weren't told.

And please, let Miss Divot do the trolling in the 997 forums. We take our Cayennes here VERY seriously.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:21 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't wait to hear the follow up (can see the headline now)... Pissed Off Pops Goes Medieval on PCNA.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 PM
WFBlue
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

What was your break-in regimen (if any)

Quick Reply: 2011 Porsche Cayenne S Oil Warning