2011 Cayenne Turbo Know Problems / Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:53 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne Turbo Know Problems / Issues

Hi All,

i am considering the 11 Turbo and am looking to get feedback regarding any known issues or consistent problems.

I am aware that first MY's always have issues, like the 03-04 Cayenne was. Anything on the 11 Cayenne Turbo?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

I have almost 2400 miles on mine, and so far no issues. Except for it eating a lot of the oil up the first 800-1000 miles, and the brakes producing a lot of brake dust/dirt( looks more like dirt in my opinion, so get PCCB or a good rim and tire cleaner and you should be good). If anyone else has more miles or has had a problem or two, I would like to hear them also. Also, obey the break-in period, take good care of it, and you shouldn't have too much trouble if any at all .
Old 09-12-2010, 11:54 AM
gaurang
Instructor

Do you have the blue? Care to share some more pics? i am considering the blue or jet black metallic.
PM me and i can send you my email.

tk
Old 09-14-2010, 11:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been flawless. Once engine is warm driving it like you stole it will get the engine broken in and prevent oil burning. Mine used no oil yet in 2500 miles.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:04 AM
thrashx
Intermediate

I've had a few issues with my 2011 Cayenne S and I'm at 5,000 miles.

1. Have had to return to dealer twice for oil top off (very annoying)
2. Initial set of wipers were defective (loud)
3. When the engine is idling I hear a ticking sound coming from somewhere below center console below the shifter (I plan to take in next week)
4. The excessive brake dust is insane

Other than these problems there are a few things I find annoying.

1. Remote often requires multiple attempts before it locks/unlocks doors. It really sucks when your arms length away and have to push the button more than once to unlock doors.
2. Down shifts when in full automatic mode can feel jerky
3. The front facing AC vents in center console are louder than other vehicles I've owned.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Rstraughn
4th Gear

I have an 11 CS with 1100 miles. I have no issues. I knew that I would have to get the oil topped off, which I did. A great ride!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

thrashx, 1.I will agree with you on the initial set of wipers being loud. Did you wait to replace yours when they were worn out or did you get fed up with it and just went ahead and got them replaced? I know when I use windshield wiper fluid, it eliminates the noise they make.

2. The shifting is not bad, and yes I will agree it jerks sometimes (barely in my opinion though, I would not complain about it in a Turbo, but maybe a S, because I would expect it to a Turbo rather than the S) when downshifting. Also it is much better then the 2010 Range Rover Sport HSE, because that had jerks with every downshift (it was okay the first 1000 miles) and what is crazy is that I would expect it from a supercharged version rather than the HSE version. Also the seats were uncomfortable, so that made it worse when downshifting, and my back hurt sometimes from it.

3.I have not gone to the dealer to top off my oil, and I just did it for the second time (with 2700 miles). So may I ask, should I go to the dealer at least once to have this done? Or will I be fine just topping the oil off myself? (I do it myself because the closest dealer is 30 to 45 minutes from me, so going to just get my oil topped off would get annoying).

4. Final thing, I know this is off topic, but do you have the reversing camera? I know it is not a really annoying thing for me, but as advertised on the Porsche site, it shows the reversing camera having guidelines. Mine does not though, and I would like to know if this is with other launch Cayennes or if it may just be mine. (Sorry for jacking your thread a bit gaurang, I just wanted to know some of this stuff )

Last edited by Alichtenberg; 09-20-2010 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Forgot to put some info. in my last paragraph.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Alichtenberg - when i test drove the CTT about 1 week after the dealer got the new ones it, it had the guidelines
Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
thrashx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alichtenberg
thrashx, 1.I will agree with you on the initial set of wipers being loud. Did you wait to replace yours when they were worn out or did you get fed up with it and just went ahead and got them replaced? I know when I use windshield wiper fluid, it eliminates the noise they make.

2. The shifting is not bad, and yes I will agree it jerks sometimes (barely in my opinion though, I would not complain about it in a Turbo, but maybe a S, because I would expect it to a Turbo rather than the S) when downshifting. Also it is much better then the 2010 Range Rover Sport HSE, because that had jerks with every downshift (it was okay the first 1000 miles) and what is crazy is that I would expect it from a supercharged version rather than the HSE version. Also the seats were uncomfortable, so that made it worse when downshifting, and my back hurt sometimes from it.

3.I have not gone to the dealer to top off my oil, and I just did it for the second time (with 2700 miles). So may I ask, should I go to the dealer at least once to have this done? Or will I be fine just topping the oil off myself? (I do it myself because the closest dealer is 30 to 45 minutes from me, so going to just get my oil topped off would get annoying).

4. Final thing, I know this is off topic, but do you have the reversing camera? I know it is not a really annoying thing for me, but as advertised on the Porsche site, it shows the reversing camera having guidelines. Mine does not though, and I would like to know if this is with other launch Cayennes or if it may just be mine. (Sorry for jacking your thread a bit gaurang, I just wanted to know some of this stuff )
The dealer replaced the wipers as a warranty item and they've also topped off the oil at no cost. I do not have the rear camera. However, one more issue I've noticed is with the front seat cooling option. Sometimes the fan system built into the seats fail to start.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There have been reports of the DFI engines having problems related to high carbon build up, both in the engine and exhaust.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

One time my father's Panamera 4s got a faulty all wheel drive system message, but after shutting the car off and then back on it went away. Same thing happened with my Cayenne yesterday, and it drove fine. Anyone know if this is a problem that might get worse? Or is this just something that might happen from time to time?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Guys,

You better get used to the noisy wipers. I have owned Cayennes since 2004 and wipers are always noisy. New ones will be good for just a little while.

Don't ask me about noisy brakes...it is worse than the wipers.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:30 PM
nedino
Advanced

Alichtenberg, you can turn on/off the guidelines of the reversing camera from the "Car" menu on your PCM.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Alichtenberg
Intermediate

Ah, I did not know that, thank you for telling me Nedino. Also there is one more issue, the 6 disc CD/DVD broke on me. I am already planning to take the suv to get fixed on thursday. I heard that there have been a few reports of this and that the Optical mech in the CD player isn't so great (I might be wrong about the few amount of people having it broke, but that is a problem). The way it is broken is that it will not play any discs and will say that the medium is not readable or something like that.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
ozr
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Alichtenberg
One time my father's Panamera 4s got a faulty all wheel drive system message, but after shutting the car off and then back on it went away. Same thing happened with my Cayenne yesterday, and it drove fine. Anyone know if this is a problem that might get worse? Or is this just something that might happen from time to time?
...even a brief appearance and after restart disappearance of this error should be taken seriously.

...this is a known issue for 03/04 Cayennes, unless it's something new...

This is a first indication ...it's a minor problem, if you address it now (faulty 4drive electronic component - servo motor in a transfer case oil pump). This oil pump feeds 4drive central differential called transfer case. When servo motor starts to fail => pump stops feeding transfer case properly and => in 4-5 mo transfer case starts to disintegrate/leak oil...History may repeat itself again...

Better go to dealer NOW and tell them about error and TELL them to carefully check transfer case oil pump and it's components: servo motor and etc.

...more on this read in the below threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...lp-please.html

comment #14, 16 and others

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...r-cayenne.html

comment #41 and others

You may also mention to the dealer old TSB/"recall" W411 dated 11/03.

Good luck,

OZRacing

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Turbo Know Problems / Issues