Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current 997 owner debating on SUV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:53 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

I don't think you'll see many folks telling you to go the LR4 route given the audience. That said, I've been trolling the boards for a few weeks now, I don't think many will advise on a V6 either!

I recently ordered a 2011 V6 after test driving both the V6 and S. While the little devil on the left says go with an S, the voice on the right (my pocketbook and wife!) says the V6 is just fine for our needs. No towing, no taking it to the track or off-roading, not a lot of hard driving. Personally, I prefer a well optioned 2011 V6 over a base 2011 S or even an older well optioned S. I fell in love with the looks and interior of the new Cayenne, and it'll be my first experience with brand.

I think you're talking about two very different vehicles that fit two distinct "needs"... I'd say Cayenne all the way, but then again, I haven't really looked at the LR4 up close. The Cayenne is definitely not a "smart" or the most economical purchase, but then again, what high end brand of anything really is?

Best of luck on your decision.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:23 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riley, whatever you do, do not get a V6. You wont be happy and you know it. My brother is a Range fan and I am a Porsche fan. Having driven his 07 LR3 and mine 04 Cayenne S back to back, I say they dont compare at all. If anything Range Rover Sport is a better contender.

Knowing your car preferences (and your recent Porsche experience), I am afraid your budget will have to increase here. Get a Cayenne S with just a few options you really need. Or wait for the new Cayenne GTS to come out. Thats what I am gonna do.

Good luck, brother.

Stan
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Its sounds like you just want something new...........if I were you, get an 08 Turbo or S...........it will smack you silly with delight.

I hear rumors on each......DFI is causing issues with Fuel filters in Cayennes...

LR have horrible electric problems and just are not laid out well to the foreign visitor.

go grab an old Defender?!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 PM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgsntth
I am a former LR3 owner and current Range Rover owner (wife's). The LR4 is a vast improvement in handling, interior and powetrain than the LR3. The LR4 has an enormous amount of interior room, especially in the third-row and cargo area - it is like an enclosed short-bed pick-up. Offroad, the LR3/4 are with-out peer in terms of traction, though the one trick ponies (Rubicon and FJ) have better ground clearance. It is nowhere near as fun to drive on the road as a Cayenne, however; but my wife loves Land Rovers because she sits so high-up (look down on everyone) and they ride like a cruise ship. Miserable on a curvy mountain road, however, Sport and LR2 being the exception. Unless you are going offroad or need the third-row/cargo room, the Cayenne is a much better drive.

As far as realiability. Our 2008 Range has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned, and we have owned Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, and Subaru. Only one issue with the stereo volume that was fixed. No other electrical issues, creaks, rattles -nothing. As any Land Rover person knows. Never buy a Land Rover before 2006, and never buy during the first year in a model change (i.e., do not buy a 2010).

On the other hand, my Cayman was very unreliable and was given back to Porsche with many unresolved issues (OE hatch thunk, rattling rear quarter window at 5K rpms, steering shimmy on tight turns, completely bogus seat "memory"). Yet, it was the most fun and enjoyable car I ever owned.

The 2009 GTS has been fairly reliable once all of the "updates" have been applied.
not sure you can say a 2008 car was the "most reliable car you ever owned" unless you only keep your cars for 2-3 years. if i had a new car every 2-3 years i would expect i shouldnt have many problems... that being said i had my jcw mini cooper for only 2 years and let's just say that's the last cooper i will own....

as for Riley, i drove the V6 2011. slow is one thing, but this is beyond slow... you are better off in a ML350 or an RX350...
Old 10-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
...go grab an old Defender?!
Now there's a truck that I'd love to own; especially with an old pushrod Buick V8 sitting in front! How does that British saying go?,"The best 4 x 4 x Far"?.

The 2009 GTS has been fairly reliable once all of the "updates" have been applied.
Huh? Updates? Please explain...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:41 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i hate cars, who would have thought buying an exige would make me not want the 911 at all, and getting rid of the 911 so difficult.. i sold my 05 cab in like a week for 45k.. now im asking only 18,5 more for an 09 coupe and have almost no interest.. which is forcing me to figure out something i want to trade it in on...
Old 10-16-2010, 07:35 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=akim47;7977901]not sure you can say a 2008 car was the "most reliable car you ever owned" unless you only keep your cars for 2-3 years. if i had a new car every 2-3 years i would expect i shouldnt have many problems... that being said i had my jcw mini cooper for only 2 years and let's just say that's the last cooper i will own....

OK, in the 2.5 years we have owned the Range, it has been the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned in their first 2.5 years with us. Much more so than any other vehicle we have owned. I'll let you know periodically how the Range's reliability is enduring.

Andy: The GTS's Bose would go silent for a few days at a time, the airbag light would go on, the Parking Brake would take about 2-4 pulls to release, and the alarm would going off about every fifth time I locked the truck. The Dealership performed WA06 Re-programming Airbag Control unit (Workshop campaign) and WA24 Updating PCN 3.0 Software (Workshop Campaign), and replaced the damper spring on the PB.

The GTS also got stuck in 4Lo about 100 miles from home, but I was able to get it into 4High after about 20 minutes; albeit the FourWheel Drive/System Fault Warning light was on. They replaced the Transfer Box Servo Motor (intermittent short). The alarm going off is turning into a perennial problem, as the Workshop has tried everything, including replacing the key fobs, but it is still going off about every twentieth time I lock it. Annoying but livable. Kind of like the Cayman's hatch thunk and rear window rattle. I love the truck, there is just nothing that does the offroad/onroad thing with as much driver engagement.

Last edited by bgsntth; 10-16-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:41 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well, I am going to throw the BMW into the mix. I am trading my 997 on the X5M this week. It's loaded and has all the fun for me, plus I got an excellent discount and I have to admit much better feel for me than the Cayenne S.
Flame suit on, but I am excited and looking forward to it!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:00 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

each to their own
Old 10-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Andy: The GTS's Bose would go silent for a few days at a time, the airbag light would go on, the Parking Brake would take about 2-4 pulls to release, and the alarm would going off about every fifth time I locked the truck. The Dealership performed WA06 Re-programming Airbag Control unit (Workshop campaign) and WA24 Updating PCN 3.0 Software (Workshop Campaign), and replaced the damper spring on the PB.

The GTS also got stuck in 4Lo about 100 miles from home, but I was able to get it into 4High after about 20 minutes; albeit the FourWheel Drive/System Fault Warning light was on. They replaced the Transfer Box Servo Motor (intermittent short). The alarm going off is turning into a perennial problem, as the Workshop has tried everything, including replacing the key fobs, but it is still going off about every twentieth time I lock it. Annoying but livable. Kind of like the Cayman's hatch thunk and rear window rattle. I love the truck, there is just nothing that does the offroad/onroad thing with as much driver engagement.
Holy cow! Now, I'm worried! However, the only one thing that I can relate to is the alarm sounding while locking the truck. I find when I'm in a rush and I slam shut the door and lock immediately afterwards, it's almost as if the motion sensor within vibrates and sets off the alarm. If I wait a few seconds before locking, no alarm. I do know that the inside motion detector can be disabled via the stalk switch and dash menu setup if required. Maybe now, I know why....
Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
well, I am going to throw the BMW into the mix. I am trading my 997 on the X5M this week. It's loaded and has all the fun for me, plus I got an excellent discount and I have to admit much better feel for me than the Cayenne S.
Flame suit on, but I am excited and looking forward to it!
Did you try out the Cayenne Turbo in comparison to the X5M?
Old 10-17-2010, 10:22 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Say it aint so Jenn, what happened to the Pano?

Quick Reply: Current 997 owner debating on SUV.