Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impression on Hybrid if you got one.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Impression on Hybrid if you got one.

I'm planning on getting the better half a Hybrid soon. Maybe before I even get my 991!

What I want to know what are your impressions on this vehicle?

I've only had the chance to drive a Turbo pepper at the Zentrum in Carmel last August. And that was a blast!

When I configure a new Hybrid it usually comes in at almost $100K. I start oft with that $11K convenience package. Full leather interior with the most expensive seats. burmeister stereo, turbo rims, all performance options except the brakes. And some odds and ends like fire extinguisher and panorama sunroof.

My primary question is should I stick to the hybrid like a rich hippie driving around with the warm and fuzzies knowing I'm getting the best MPG in class? Or should I say "Screw-It" and spend a little more and get the Turbo. Cost isn't too much of a concern. Just if I do the turbo route I would want to keep it just under $120K before taxes.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 PM
jtpsocal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do it- get the Turbo. The Cayenne Hybrid benefit is a infintesimal rounding error compared to China's coal pollution
Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for the Turbo as well if I had to choose from the selection. There was mention that the Hybrids were having issues with the batteries warming up the interiors and slowly baking the rear seats, check on 6speed.-
I would wait at least 1 or 2 years before buying a new Cayenne so Porsche can get all the small or large issues resolved, Germans are slow to move when it comes to problem solving at their expense. The Cayenne is not a car that's limited in production where there are some compromises your willing to take and be patient with, it's Porsche's bread and butter and should be good out of the box.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:07 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

turbo!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM
KAW
Track Day

I have had the Cayenne Hybrid almost 3 weeks, 750 miles. Its my first Cayenne but Ive had several 911s, GT3s, Turbos and Spyder. Ive had none of the issues mentioned in the forums. I like it. Its fast when you want it to be and its smooth and quiet around town. The start/stop and electric motor are seamless. The gas mileage is great especially when you learn how to take your foot off the gas and sail. The brakes are the hardest part to get used to, very sensitive. Im getting 25mpg on the highway, 20-22 around city. Its not a turbo and if you want to drive fast all the time and keep your foot on the throttle dont get it. Its amazing how much time the gas engine stays off. A recent 100 mile trip, the engine was off 25 minutes. If you like technology, its fun.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 AM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Pricewise, if you're that close to a turbo, then why not. There has to be an overiding reason at that point -- save the planet or seek and destroy! However, since it's for the better half so, I'd say get it, but only after they've run these "perceived" or real issues to ground.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20-22 MPG around town in considerable. The Turbo gets around 14-15 MPG in city traffic? I know if I'm worried about mileage I shouldn't even both but the misses wants one. Might as well get it built up with all the options we want.

Now I just know if we should get the 18 way seats with full partial leather and the Turbo wheels. Those two options push the price up like PCCBs do.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:41 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Sonnen has a white one in stock.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, VW is going to offer both a diesel and hybrid Tourareg in the US this coming year.
Having owned both hybrid and diesel, I would take the diesel, for both short and long term reasons.

Trying to help defer the development costs vs predicted units sold.

PAG is going to have to seriously consider approving the 4cyl turbo engines very soon if they want to even have a chance of meeting fuel economy requirements.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Gaucho
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the chance to drive a hybrid yesterday with a Porsche expert driver who has done much of the training for the dealers in the West coast. He knew the car backwards and forwards. Great deal of expert information about the car. A priceless experience given his background.

This SUV is truly outstanding. The coupling technology of the electric and combustion engines is far superior to anyother hybrid I have driven. The transition between electric and combustion is seamless. Power is quick when you needed it. You can jump on the gas pedal and get immediate response and power to spare. If you are into the tech stuff the screens can be mesmirizing as you check out the back and forth switches on the power delivery. One of the most interesting features is the "green screen" where it tracks the "engine off" time as you cruise or brake thus saving on gas. I think that the overall mileage in highway and mixed driving will be much higher than the posted on the sticker due to the technology in this car.

If you are looking for just power the turbo would seem like the logical choice. If you are looking for an SUV with power, room, every day driving in and out of traffic, and long trips where you can open it up and "sail" while at the same time getting great mileage out of an SUV the hybrid is a great choice.

I have driven the ML Bluetec and the diesel X5. The turbo diesels certainly deliver great power quickly. The X5 is superior to the ML by far in how it drives and responds. The ML has much a much nicer interior. The hybrid S nicer than both in the interior and finishings. Power matches the X5 at least for the usual driving comparisons of everyday driving. A 300-350 HP with high torque Porsche diesel would be an interesting option to the hybrid.

I was convinced that if I did not get a Panamera I would get an S. After driving the hybrid S I have changed my mind. Assuming that there are no issues with the battery and any heating issues reported elsewhere, this is truly well engineered vehicle.

If you get a chance to get an expert drive with a Porsche driver it will make a huge difference.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO there is nothing "new" in the new hybrid (PAG or VAG), at least compared to similar/current hybrid SUV's.

Battery pack cooling...and hence capacity and longevity...is a concern.
Sailing is still a function of said pack ... Exactly how long can you expect a Cayenne to sail at highway speed on electric? Simple math will get you close to the answer.

Interesting choice with a supercharger...still trying to understand that decision.

It should be interesting to see if the Carrera gets a hybrid power train from the RSR race car test bed.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaucho
Had the chance to drive a hybrid yesterday with a Porsche expert driver who has done much of the training for the dealers in the West coast. He knew the car backwards and forwards. Great deal of expert information about the car. A priceless experience given his background.

This SUV is truly outstanding. The coupling technology of the electric and combustion engines is far superior to anyother hybrid I have driven. The transition between electric and combustion is seamless. Power is quick when you needed it. You can jump on the gas pedal and get immediate response and power to spare. If you are into the tech stuff the screens can be mesmirizing as you check out the back and forth switches on the power delivery. One of the most interesting features is the "green screen" where it tracks the "engine off" time as you cruise or brake thus saving on gas. I think that the overall mileage in highway and mixed driving will be much higher than the posted on the sticker due to the technology in this car.

If you are looking for just power the turbo would seem like the logical choice. If you are looking for an SUV with power, room, every day driving in and out of traffic, and long trips where you can open it up and "sail" while at the same time getting great mileage out of an SUV the hybrid is a great choice.

I have driven the ML Bluetec and the diesel X5. The turbo diesels certainly deliver great power quickly. The X5 is superior to the ML by far in how it drives and responds. The ML has much a much nicer interior. The hybrid S nicer than both in the interior and finishings. Power matches the X5 at least for the usual driving comparisons of everyday driving. A 300-350 HP with high torque Porsche diesel would be an interesting option to the hybrid.

I was convinced that if I did not get a Panamera I would get an S. After driving the hybrid S I have changed my mind. Assuming that there are no issues with the battery and any heating issues reported elsewhere, this is truly well engineered vehicle.

If you get a chance to get an expert drive with a Porsche driver it will make a huge difference.
Interesting write up. I agree that you will probably achieve better MPG than the sticker numbers. Having driven other hybrids, it's actually fun to squeeze the mileage out of them.

I was very close to ordering a Hybrid S, but ultimately decided on the S instead. The price difference didn't bother me but the weight difference did. Also I wanted the extra handling aids (PTV and PDCC) but they aren't available on the Hybrid S. Obviously those are trade-offs for the MPG's and each buyer has to decide what's important to them. I rationalized going for the performance of the S with the fact that we're getting my wife the Audi A3 TDI that she wanted and it gets exceptional mileage.

I know I would have been very happy with the Hybrid S as well. If you get one I hope you will post about your experience with it.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:07 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

turbo! or S... the hybrid is a silly gimmick to get their overall fuel consumption down... why worry about batteries needing all the attention and hassle when u can have a proven setup and only get a few less MPG..
Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KAW
If you like technology, its fun.
I'm in.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM
KAW
Track Day

Gaucho summed up my experience with the Hybrid. I came out of a 320CDI, so I have direct comparison to diesel. I also had a V8 Touareg in 04. In my view, the power, torque, speed, comfort, handling and ergonomics in the hybrid are better. I have no interior heat from the battery. 1100 miles and its no problem. And the sailing has little to do with the electric engine...it decouples the drivetrain from the gas engine like putting a car in neutral with very little engine/drivetrain drag, only safer with the power available in a split second.

I wonder more about the longevity of starter parts, my gas engine goes off all the time then starts right back up. Will that wear out? Im not too worried about battery technology replacement, that cost and efficiency will improve over the years when I need it.

Quick Reply: Impression on Hybrid if you got one.