Screaming Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Screaming Brakes

Ok, Need some help. My brakes, hot or cold, soft or fast scream at almost every stop. I took it to the dealer and they tell me there is no issue (plenty of pad, no issue with rotors) but it's embarassingly loud and obnoxious as all get out. I have taken to pressure washing the wheels every 2 days which is ridiculous and now that it hasn't hit 30 degrees in 4 days I can't just go creating a problem both with the car and on my driveway by spraying the brakes down. I shouldn't have to live with loud screaming brakes and I have only heard cars grinding on rotors that were this loud. Anything I can do to quiet them down?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Easy-Rider
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Screaming Brakes

Hi Little Green,

You don't state if the Pepper is under warranty or not - A few questions: How old is the car? Is it under warranty? When did you last have the brakes replaced? and did this dealer do the work?

but regardless - how can the dealer state "there is no issue"? Did they do a inspection / troubleshooting drive? Did the brakes scream during the drive?

IMO I would contact the dealer - let them know you are not satisfied with their early efforts at discovering the brake problem and insist that they resolve the problem. Screaming brakes are not normal - guessing it is a missalignment of the wear sensors - could could be a number of things - but regardless ----you are the customer and they must resolve the problem......Good luck.......

Easy-Rider
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

We do get occasional brake squealing with our Cayenne, but nothing like you describe.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought it CPO about 5 months ago. I took it in about 2 months later and they said that after checking pads and rotors everything seemed ok. Unfortunately as is usually the case, they were not squealing when I drove it there. They did not drive it as they said it was not necessary. I guess I will bring it back as it really is just insane.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:32 AM
ClanksterGTS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the same issue with my 08 GTS. Not too bad but if the stereo is off you can hear it. Told my dealer service advisor and he said this is a known issue. Gave me two solutions: Power wash the wheels at a car wash and to do a couple of hard brakes at 40mph. Said it was the dust from the pads stuck in between the pad and roter. Have tried both with no success.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's been quite a common problem since the beta models, not consistent some do and some don't. I seem to recall someone writing about build up of dust on the rotors. I have never had the issue with multiple pad and rotor changes.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've seen this happen with aftermarket metallic pads where larger than usual chunks of metal were actually visible when inspecting the pad surface.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:58 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine used to be like that too. I asked the SA to look at it a couple of service visits ago (dealership homing device activates about weekly). He told me they just took it out back and slammed on the brakes a few times. Sounds silly, but they really have been quiet lately...
Old 12-15-2010, 08:42 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

The brakes squeel on my new 2011 CS. They also squeeled on the '06.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 PM
sigs
Racer

Have had this problem since the beginning on my '05. The first few times I complained about it, they "deglazed" the brakes and it was better for a while. The SA said it was just dust build-up and was more common on the larger PK and CTTS brakes. Eventually, I figured out that "deglazing" meant taking it out and braking hard at high speed a few times. Now I just remember to "deglaze" them myself every few weeks.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:27 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

In my opinion (and I've wrestled with this problem on many cars), just change the pads and get the rotors turned. You have probably glazed the pads or they have overheated and are now crap. Also, avoid aftermarket metalic or carbon pads. They last long and are pretty much dust free but I have found them more trouble than they are worth. Once they squeel there is little you can do to fix them and if it is as bad as you say, change them out for some stock organic pads (pagid). They are softer but almost never squeel. If the dealer says it is normal, he's full of it and take it somewhere else...he either doesn't want to warranty it or be responsable for it if it comes back. Squeeling is common because most people don't bed their brakes in properly. You do one hard stop on new brakes and they can be ruined. The best thing is to be very easy on them for 500 miles. They'll never squeel then.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have tried pressure washing them again, doing the go and hard stop from 60 down to 10 several ties to no avail I have ordered new pads as I am just tired of the screaming brakes. Will see if it helps.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 PM
firewire
Cruisin'

Thx Clankster - tried the pressure wash and brake hard solution. It worked for me!
04 Cayenne S
05 Boxster

UPDATE - the squeal is back after a few days after pressure wash and braking hard. Will try again, but this seems like this might only be a short term solution!

Last edited by firewire; 12-26-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: What worked only did so for a few days
Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talked to our brake buyer(I am a director at one of the big automotive parts and service stores). We worked with the owner of EBC in England and he is creating a set of pads with a new compound. He happens to own a 2010 CTT and hated the brakes on his so he sent his engineers to work. Should be here in the next 2 weeks as they are custome made. Will let you know how they work.
Caesar
Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM
ClanksterGTS
Track Day

Glad it worked for you Firewire. Maybe I should try the advice again when it warms up here in Colorado. Take care.
Chris

Quick Reply: Screaming Brakes