Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impressions: Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In the older models the manual just states to go into the compass, and then select calibrate and select your mapping, then drive in a few circles till it pings you that its calibrated.........
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Preeble
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be great if there were that type of setting - but there is no 'calibration' item in any of the menus.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Cayenne717
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally just pick up my 11 CS recently , the gear box on the these new cayenne is quite amazing for a SUV point of view.

The suv feel some how LIGHT , compare to the X5/6 i test drove in, where the power is pretty good on the bimmer but just feel VERY heavy in a way.

Quality of the interior is top notch, as some people mention on the board here. Still in the break in time frame now will see how it goes but so far all i can say is AWSOME !!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Congratulations on your Cayenne. Wanted to add one thing I noticed on hybrid sales. There's this service where I live called Cartelligent where you pay $500 and they get you the best deal available on the car you're looking for. I used them for our minivan/family car purchase and at the time the Honda Pilot Touring was in high demand even they could only get a small discount (we got a VW minivan a large discount). I had to trade in my Cayman so I didn't use them this time but I didn't think they could get much of a discount on a base Cayenne anyways. Interesting thing is I've seen two 2011 Cayenne's now purchased through Cartelligent but both were hybrids.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Preeble - I'd be curious to know how long you have to drive before your coolant an oil to come up to temp. It seems like it takes me almost 30 min or more (when it is 20-30F outside) to get the oil above 200F. Also, have you been able to average 25mpg at 65mph? Today, I encountered the first time where the hybrid control system got a bit "confused" when slowing down to stop. It shuddered a bit. Haven't had it happen again.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Preeble
Racer

My daily commute is about 30 minutes, including dropping the kids off at school. My outside temps are about the same as yours and it takes about 20 minutes for me to get to operating temperature, but my engine does start to cut off (to the ready state) within 5 minutes of starting the car.

However, I recognize that maximum efficiency is not achieved until the car reaches its normal operating temp. This could be a problem for us in the winter months.

I have only achieved greater than 20mph once and that was on the trip on the way back from the dealership. In the past couple of days on my normal commute, I have averaged ~19mpg. I hope it gets better as the engine breaks in.

FWIW, I used to average around 15-16mpg in my 2008 CS and was only able to approach 18mpg on the highways with conservative driving. The engine also warmed up a lot faster - within about 7-10 minutes of driving.

Clearly, the hybrid is more efficient than the previous generation V8s, but I have not read too much about the current CS mileage - I suspect that they are very close in MPG to the hybrids (there is only a 2mpg in highway mileage).
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 PM
KAW
Track Day

Just noticed the same issue. I live in Dallas with a short 5 mile/10min commute to office. On cold mornings the engine stays on and the hybrid benefit is negated. On warmer mornings, the engine is used a lot less and MPG is much higher.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I posted earlier that I have been able to drive a Cayenne V 6 for several hundred miles over the last few days on both highways and in towns ( ie stop and go) I was also able to do the same before the holidays with a 2011 Cayenne S . With both vehicles I got well over 23 mpg on the highway at 70 plus and very good in town mileage, better by far than with my 2008 Cayenne GTS ( now gone ) In fact with the V6 over the last few days the overall mileage was close to 23 for all driving. Now I must admit the instant stop start at lights takes getting use to and goes against my grain. I have been told that it can be programmed off. By the way the 2011 Cayenne V 6 I was driving had only 800 miles on it when I got it. Actual miles driven and fuel replenished was used to figure the mileage. Can't speak to the Hybrid but then they are not my thing to start with. The hibrid is going to weigh significantly more than either the V6 or the "S" .... .batteries are heavy and weight effects gas mileage.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Now I must admit the instant stop start at lights takes getting use to and goes against my grain. I have been told that it can be programmed off.
There's a button marked "A" in the lower console below the chassis controls. The auto start function can be turned on or off with that button. I think it retains whatever mode has been selected the next time you start the car but not 100% sure about that.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Preeble
Racer

Finally, some pictures of the car, with focus on the anthracite trim. Please excuse the poor quality of pictures... still learning. I don't think I would have picked this trim if I didn't see it in person first. IMHO, it really gels well with the car's color combo.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Nice pics, looks great! While I personally don't like the any of the trim options outside the piano black or aluminum (plain, I know ), you are right- the anthracite does go well with the black int. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Preeble - looks great! Porsche has done a great job with the integration of the electric motor and with almost 3k miles, I have no regrets getting the hybrid. I also had a chance to drive the V6 for about a week and was glad to get back in the hybrid.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM
naidoo2610
Instructor

I noticed that some of you are using your older wheels on the newer Cayennes. Is the reverse possible, can I use wheels from the 2011 or later on my 2008 Cayenne? The newer Cayennes have much better wheel designs.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Preeble
Racer

Sorry - I have no idea about the reverse, but I think I remember reading a thread somewhere indicating that the newer wheels were meant to support lighter loads (due to decreased weight of the newer Cayenne). However, my hybrid weighs around the same as the older Cayennes, so I don't know how valid that statement is. I would tread with caution.

FWIW, the wheels on my Cayenne are the turbo style that came out on the original Cayenne (2004 i think?) and they fit fine on my 2008 CS and now 2011 CSH. Only difference is that the 2004 TPMS frequencies changed for the 2008 model. The newer Cayenne TPMS is compatible with the 2008+ Cayennes.

Quick Reply: First Impressions: Hybrid