Windshield cracked...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Windshield cracked...

Got in the Cayenne this morning and there was a 6"+ crack from the passenger side A Pillar. I can see an impact point on the very end. Damn... Windshield was only 8 months old.

Anyone get one replaced lately? pricing?

Going to call for some quotes later.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:11 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Marc that's exactly where my 997.2 cracked Oct 2011. Spent $ 1.2K to fix it since my insurance did not cover it and I had a 1K deductible.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Got in the Cayenne this morning and there was a 6"+ crack from the passenger side A Pillar. I can see an impact point on the very end. Damn... Windshield was only 8 months old.

Anyone get one replaced lately? pricing?

Going to call for some quotes later.
...see post #35:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-return-3.html

...he is talking about Safelite at:

500 WILLIAMS AVE.
HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, NJ 07604

201-288-2306
or 877-742-4577

...cost for Cayenne about 450+tax for regular laminated nonheated glass (heated glass OEM part double that amount...), Safelite windshield glass included.

Safelite uses various manufacturers glasses:

1. cheap crap made in China - avoid
2. US, Pennsylvania made PPG - it's OK and stronger to chips/cracks, than PORSCHEs OEM. PORSCHE OEM Cayenne glass is manufactured depending on Cayenne year by Saint-Gobain-Sekurit or Guardian (Luxemburg). OEM glass is "too soft"/fragile for the sole purpose to satisfy TUV.
3. Saint-Gobain-Sekurit, OK, same manufacturer, as PORSCHE OEM just without monopolistic high OEM price.

PORSCHE OEM Cayenne windshield glass sale price today about $300-320 at the dealer. List price about $390. All this for the regular windshield (nonheated), see comment above.

Dealers do not do it themselves, they send it to "dealer preferred" glass shop...and doublecharge you for that...You may go directly to these glass shops...just need to use one, which has experience working on PORSCHEs. Above Safelite shop did Pcars in the past...

Good luck,
OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 01-28-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bummer Marc. The 928's windscreen got a hit last fall and needs replacing. The prohibitively high priced windshield for the shark will definitely set me back a bit.

Do you see yourself going for the aftermerket unit?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately I have had my CS windshield replaced a few times -- nothing special about the Porsche Glass (I even had a defective one) or difficult about the replacement procedure. In fact its frightening how fast they can switch it out.

As mentioned the dealers contract it out - same process and truck as if they were to come to your house.

I have heard the case made that in extremely cold weather it may be better to take it to the glass shop -- since they will do it inside. The glass shops have all told me it does not matter as the glue will work fine in the cold -- they switch them so fast the car is back in the cold anyway.

I had to have one switched in a Lexus two weeks ago in the cold weather -- I was not around and left the key for the guy to do it in my driveway.

Nothing special or different about the process with a Porsche -- and the Cayenne glass is a lot thinner than you would think.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

I had my 928 done in a guy's driveway. I won the glass on eBay, arranged a time, called a mobile glass outfit in the area and drove down. An hour or so later, I was on my way home with a new windshield. Total cost was about $200, most of that being the install.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Less than $400 for Sekurit, not bad, Not even worth going through insurance.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:51 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you have a low deductible go with the dealer......it promotes good ties.

If you dont then definitely refer to suggestions above.........

Sometimes dropping a windshield wiper hard can start a crack too!!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Hopefully, he has a high deductible -- NJ is a killer insurance market.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cordsig79
if you have a low deductible go with the dealer......it promotes good ties.

If you dont then definitely refer to suggestions above.........

Sometimes dropping a windshield wiper hard can start a crack too!!
Not bothering with Insurance...
Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Less than $400 for Sekurit, not bad, Not even worth going through insurance.
+1. I also don't believe in their forgive-forget policies. In my books, a claim is a claim and will always be held against you when you need them the most.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:51 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a bad experience with a local outfit that apparently Safelite bought and operated undercover - along with dozens in our area. So eventually had to redo it since the "high-end" version was still cheap china crap with a glue-on mirror mount that failed over and over and over...

Called the Porsche dealer and went with their recommended guy, with the OEM glass they ordered. And it was actually cheaper - just over $400 installed. There is apparently one guy in all of Sacramento that does most of the Cayennes, and he's actually very good. Spent almost 3 hours on it. So the dealer out here did a good job of finding an expert.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:27 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

seankrider - please don't take this the wrong way but it not about finding a Porsche expert. The Cayenne's windshield is a slab of glass with no moulding glued to a frame - there is nothing special about the glass or the design.

My third windshield was replaced in about 30 min - the installer had the mirror off and the glass out of the car so fast - it was unbelievable. It was done in an instant.

I can not comment on the China glass --- no experience --- most of the mirror mounts are glued on.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:03 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine cracked while in Florida - no cost to replace!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 AM
rjrosk
6th Gear

I agree with finding the Porsche expert. What sort of paint damage did the 30 min man do in the glass opening? What did the rain sensor look like when he was done? Guardian is the OEM on that windshield, made in Luxembourg. It would provide the best fit and finish of the glass, and the least chance of excessive peripheral distortion. If installed properly, should not be able to tell the vehicle was touched.

The OE contract went to Saint Gobain Sekurit with the 2011 model, including a change in the rain sensor format.

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked...