Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade Completed Now What Again???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 PM
JKCTT
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade Completed Now What Again???

I had the coolant upgrade done 8 months ago in my 2004 Cayenne Turbo after the plastic pipes burst. Then today I parked after a short drive and steam coming out of the engine and all the coolant was lying on the ground!!

I just replaced the drive shaft and now this!

The day before yesterday I had a weird rustling or thumping sound coming from the drivers floor, right underneath my foot but no other symptoms then it went away. it sounded like a small animal trying to escape. Could this possibly be a failed water pump? Or maybe a torn hose. It is very similar to when the coolant pipes broke.

Has anybody had a similar experience?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are plastic tee pieces at the rear of the engine which carry coolant.
These fail as well resulting in dumping of coolant.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 AM
JKCTT
Track Day

Ah, so that's not included in the upgrade to new aluminum pipes - replacing the tee pieces?? Great..... So this is a whole tear down again??!?!?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKCTT
Ah, so that's not included in the upgrade to new aluminum pipes - replacing the tee pieces?? Great..... So this is a whole tear down again??!?!?
As far as I know the intake manifold has to come off again to give you some reach to those T lines, I also think those T lines are of the same material so your replacing a crappy designed part with a newer but same crappy designed part.
Good luck, it should give you another 50k before needing attention
Old 02-03-2011, 03:49 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
There are plastic tee pieces at the rear of the engine which carry coolant.
These fail as well resulting in dumping of coolant.
This is what I was told by both Sunset in Oregon (who shipped the tee in the Turbo coolant kit), and one of the Porsche techs on here - and I loosely quote: "be sure to change out the tee connector in the back while you're in there - the compression bands are a known failure/leak point."

This was corroborated by T2's recent summary of his coolant pipes fun, where he did the pipes at roughly 100K, and then the tee at roughly 200K.

Turbos only, BTW. There are several warm threads on here and sixspeed about DIY efforts on the tees. Hint: tee is harder to reach and harder to do than the pipes. And mine came off with all sorts of crusties around the metal bands.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 PM
JKCTT
Track Day

Yup. Turns out it is the t-pipe or heater hose. It costs $14. I think the kit should include this. It should not even be an option! They would have changed it the first time if it was included. Now, I have to do a whole tear down just for a $14 plastic hose!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who did the work? If it was a Porsche dealer, I'd tell them you'll pay for the part and they should cover the labor. A dealer should know better, but if it was an Indy shop - good luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

porsche dealerships warranties their work for 2 yrs/unlimited miles right? or does this applies only if you purchase the kit and install in the dealer?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:50 PM
JKCTT
Track Day

All, So indy mechanic is now replacing the "t-pipe" but I am going to do every single other coolant pipe in the systems behind the engine that is hard to get to. I dont want to go back in a 3rd time. Is this excessive or not? Price difference is about $300. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for cross-posting, but here's pics FWIW:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post8288895

Quick Reply: Upgrade Completed Now What Again???