Sponsored by:

ecu flash issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:00 PM
jmauck
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu flash issue

I posted regarding a transmission issue I was having but as it turns out it might be an ECU issue. I had the upsolute flash done to my CTT05 and now when you excelerate quickly the trans bogs down between 3-4k for a few seconds then it will catch and go. It is like the cayenne is not sure what to do with the torque. Anyone heard of this type of issue before? I am having IMA motorsports in VA check the cardan shaft, front dif, and bearing but they seem to think it could be the ECU flash. Not sure what to do at this point. any help would be great thanks!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Have you gotten in touch with Upsolute?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:33 PM
jmauck
Track Day

I am currently waiting for a call back from them
Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Got it. I spoke with Jean (I think...) out of their Charlotte operation and he seemed to know his stuff, or at least what I could understand from him seemed legit.

Question, did you happen to replace your diverter valves? He recommended that I upgrade those prior to doing their tune. Maybe they can't keep up and air is leaking into or out of the system?

Let us know what happens.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would doubt the transmission itself is having an issue since its the same trans used with the power kit and turbo s versions.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

How does a transmission "bog down" ?

I had diverter issues in my 996tt - mostly a noise issue. The small rubber valve flaps and makes a noise -- it will eventually fail and cause boost issues -- that would cause the engine to bog down. But - does the Cayenne use the same valve?? Have not heard any mention of this problem. Many times people confuse models?

If the transmission is not slipping -- not sure this is your problem
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Originally Posted by yeldogt
How does a transmission "bog down" ?

I had diverter issues in my 996tt - mostly a noise issue. The small rubber valve flaps and makes a noise -- it will eventually fail and cause boost issues -- that would cause the engine to bog down. But - does the Cayenne use the same valve?? Have not heard any mention of this problem. Many times people confuse models?

If the transmission is not slipping -- not sure this is your problem
I don't know if the stock valves are the same but I spoke with EVOMS and they said they are essentially the same sans a small elbow on 996tt versions. I actually just scored some EVOMS DV's that are for a 996tt but can be used on my CTT.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:01 PM
jmauck
Track Day

Well the ecu is in route to NC to Rene to see what can be done. Rene asked about the diverters but seemed to think non- oem ones would be the issue not the solution. Maybe he is confused? As for the cardin shaft the bearing was bad so I had the whole thing replaced but it seems to be a side issue. I am a little ticked that during trouble shooting the coolant tubes went and I should have told them after the first run to stop. We were seeming missfires on 3-8 but they ran it anyway. Oh well the tubes would need to be done at some point. Do you think I should have the diverters done while the engine is pulled apart? This $700 update has become a $4000 nightmare.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 PM
jmauck
Track Day

As for the bog down we would see boost up to .6 then it acted like is could not handle the input or tourqe and would shake violently then break through to .8 on the guage. Ima hooked it up to the laptop and saw the misfires at the time of bog down and a drop on the lambdas on both banks as well.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmauck
Well the ecu is in route to NC to Rene to see what can be done. Rene asked about the diverters but seemed to think non- oem ones would be the issue not the solution. Maybe he is confused?
No. Many of the highest HP cars out there run stock factory type BPVs. The aftermarket ones sometimes can bleed boost, stick, etc. I had a set of aluminium Forge ones on my S4 and would have to lube them about every six months or they would stick and I would get boost issues.

A sticking BPV could be causing the issue, it cound even cause a boost spike that makes the computer shut down and cause your bogging issue.

Originally Posted by jmauck
This $700 update has become a $4000 nightmare.
I don't think your $700 update had anything to do with your $4,000 nightmare. They seem to be totally unrelated events that just happened at the same point in time.

Cardan shaft, coolant pipes, misfires from coils are all VERY well known and common problems on the Cayenne. None of which could be caused by a software tune.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:17 PM
jmauck
Track Day

FInally got all the issues resolved. It seems the plugs were gapped incorrectly. Unfortunatly when they "test drove" the car hard it caused the coolant lines to go. No big deal withthe extra HP from the ECU flash I would have needed this done anyway. So all is well that ends well. Drove it to Orlando from DC to see the mouse last week and the ECU flash and new rotor/pads make a huge difference. HArd to keep the pig under 90.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Cole
Drifting

Good to hear is is running well again and that it was not the flash.

Quick Reply: ecu flash issue