Factory visit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Muhanad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory visit

Hello Everyone,

I asked my dealer to ask Porsche in Germany to see if it was possible for me to visit the factory and see my CS being built or just see it when its finished. since i will be near Germany during that time.
they replied to my dealer saying i can't do anything unless i opt for factory collection.

did anyone try to do this or am i the only one because i heard that some car manufacturers do let you see your car being built and let you test it in their facility before they ship it to your home country.

thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've done factory delivery with Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, and 3 times with Porsche. None of them offer the option to see your specific vehicle being built although if you specify tourist delivery, you get to tour the assembly line, have a complimentary lunch, be introduced to your car, etc. At this point your car is ready for delivery and you can drive it away fully insured, but arrangments for all this must to be made ahead of time. In Porsche's case there is a substantial charge for this service. None of these manufacturers offer you the option to test drive your own car on track, AKAIK.

In the case of Porsche, it would be a logistical nightmare for them if they had to change their normal process every time the random customer showed up at the factory to view and test drive their car, not to mention the liabilty issues involved.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In addition to what Mike said, if you opt for the tourist delivery program they will let you test drive a Cayenne on their off-road course at the factory, and another one on the test track at the factory. But you don't drive your own vehicle, you drive ones that they have set aside for demonstrations.

But with tourist delivery you can then take your own car off for up to two weeks of driving around Europe, and then return it to them and they will ship it back to your home country. So you can give it a pretty good "test drive" during that time, and if you find anything wrong they will have it fixed before they ship it to you.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess this doesn't relate much to the OP, but are there any countries that are prohibited to visit in Europe when you pick up your new Porsche through the customer delivery program? I was thinking about doing this on my next Porsche since most of my family is in Germany, Austria and Slovakia. Is there a supplemental insurance that would have to be purchased if let's say the car were to visit Slovakia or the Czech Republic?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Vino
I guess this doesn't relate much to the OP, but are there any countries that are prohibited to visit in Europe when you pick up your new Porsche through the customer delivery program? I was thinking about doing this on my next Porsche since most of my family is in Germany, Austria and Slovakia. Is there a supplemental insurance that would have to be purchased if let's say the car were to visit Slovakia or the Czech Republic?
nope, Slovakia and Czech republic are both EU countries and German temporary plates that you will get for your new car have EU-wide insurance AFAIK.

and where from SVK is your family from? I'm from over here...
Old 02-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
nope, Slovakia and Czech republic are both EU countries and German temporary plates that you will get for your new car have EU-wide insurance AFAIK.

and where from SVK is your family from? I'm from over here...
I figured it would be OK to drive the car to Slovakia since they joined the EU. Last time I visited with my wife we flew to Germany, usually to Vienna and rented a car. Once we told the rental agency we're going to Slovakia, good bye Mercedes hello Opel Astra
My Father was from Zilina, or more specifically Lietavská Svinná, my wife is from there as well.
Cool country and roads, hospitality is awesome!
PM or e-mail me, would be happy to chat and see which part your from
Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Hi Muhanad
I have chosen the "tourist delivery" option twice to pick up a 911 in Zuffenhausen
The option cost 4050$ for any porsche,and includes 15 days of full insurance and roadside assistance( but you can extend that up to 6 months-for roughly about 1200$ a month)
I recently ordered a CT that i will be picking up at the factory in Leipzig,and asked about driving my own car on their track...It is only possible when you enroll in a Porsche driving school course that takes place there
I was told I will drive their motor pool CT on their on and off road track before picking up my car and since i will be in Europe for 2 months,I have the opportunity to take their "precision" and ""performance" driving courses on their famous Leipzig onroad track(with each turn taken from tracks all over Europe)
That will be a great way to get to know my pepper
So is the Autobahn
Old 02-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jerry joseph
The option cost 4050$ for any porsche,and includes 15 days of full insurance and roadside assistance( but you can extend that up to 6 months-for roughly about 1200$ a month)
The cost for the tourist delivery option on my '09 Carrera S was $2250. It's the same price for the current Cayenne models except the Turbo which for some reason is more expensive at $4075. These are U.S. prices; maybe prices vary in your locale.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Muhanad
Intermediate

Thanks to all of you guys for the information
my CS is scheduled to be built on 16.03
i only had the factory delivery option when i ordered my CS and it costs around 1,250$ there wasn't any tourist delivery option but will ask my dealer about it.
and for delivery to Saudi it costs around 2000$
thanks again for the info. and i will keep you posted on what happens with my dealer about it.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a link to the description of the European Delivery program on the PCNA website: http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...opeandelivery/

But this being PCNA, the eligibility is for residents of the USA and Canada. So a lot will depend on whether they have any corresponding program for residents of Saudi Arabia. Your local dealer should be able to advise on whether they can give you the Tourist Delivery option.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Oh,had no idea they charged that much more for turbo cars!!!
Both cars i picked up at the Zuffenhausen factory were 997 turbos
Still,it was worth every penny:and I highly recommend it...driving through the alps(Swiss,German and Austrian) on a winding Autobahn and through the wine regions and the Black Forrest is an exhilarating drive and should be a pretty contrast to the Saudi Arabian scenery...
All the best with your order
Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhanad
Hello Everyone,

I asked my dealer to ask Porsche in Germany to see if it was possible for me to visit the factory and see my CS being built or just see it when its finished. since i will be near Germany during that time.
they replied to my dealer saying i can't do anything unless i opt for factory collection.

did anyone try to do this or am i the only one because i heard that some car manufacturers do let you see your car being built and let you test it in their facility before they ship it to your home country.

thanks
That's not possible with Porsche unless you opt for factory delivery. Even factory delivery does not allow you to watch your car being built because it takes all of a couple of hours to build it and it would be pure coincidence if you showed up during that time.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 PM
mellowyellow-atlanta
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
That's not possible with Porsche unless you opt for factory delivery. Even factory delivery does not allow you to watch your car being built because it takes all of a couple of hours to build it and it would be pure coincidence if you showed up during that time.
Since the OP is already in build and not order any factory delivery, why not just take a tour of the factory? The tour in Stuttgart is excellent, and it's free. Just call ahead and schedule an appointment. I have not done nor know if the same option is available at the Leipzig plant, but at least you would get to see some 4 doors being built.

The museum in Stuttgart also excellent.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

The OP might still be able to ask for Tourist delivery,if it is allowed for his country
Try getting in touch with Leipzig:

http://www.porsche-leipzig.com/en/we...bholungen.aspx

They have been very helpful in arranging different activities for me when i collect my CT in April,and were always prompt to answer e-mails
Betttawfeeq
Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Muhanad
Intermediate

Thanks all for the comments
I contacted Porsche directly for a factory visit and they replied confirming the date i asked for, hopefully i will get a glimpse of my CS if not i'll enjoy it.
my dealer didn't know about all of this apparently i'm the only one who asked them about it.

to yellowmillow: the visit to leipzig costs 650$ if you want to drive a cayenne different prices for every model but they are close to this range.

Thank you Jerry for the link

Quick Reply: Factory visit