Sponsored by:

Changed my spark plugs on the 06 Cayenne V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
ok V6ers, I ran to dealer today and got 6 new coils for 298. I already had a set of new plugs from suncoast purchased a year ago.

DO THIS AT 60K, DONT LET THE CEL LIGHT FIRE!!! Im kicking my own *** right now that I was too lazy not to do this many miles ago.

The engine pulls solid all the way through now and I think its eliminated the hesitation under accleration I was experiencing from 2nd to 3rd and assuming I may have a pending valve body issue. To be solved at a later time

Let the engine cool.......this is easy, you just have to fanagle with each one but make sure you get out the little curly q tool in the back...

My first 4 I pulled the entire connector and coil tube out after playing with each one to loosen them up. ITs a B*&ch to pull them apart from connector and tube but I assure you, when the plastic cools down enough, they will separate if you keep pulling them apart like your trying to open an elevator door.

Saving all the coils and plugs in spare parts bin just in case, they didnt look that bad and I can probably use in emergency if need be or for a fellow Cayenne owner.

I did burn my hand somewhere on the engine, when I was 14-16 I worked at a pizza restaurant and I guess it helped deaden my nerves, as I didnt feel any real pain but the fingers are all bubbled up now..
Any pics? Of the project that is, not the hand. :-) hope the hand is healing well.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never thought it would be an issue to take decent pics on my android.......but I was covered in grime and got fully enthralled by the task.......the first coil comes up easy, just go try it the next time you have a cool engine........each one gets progressively harder.

If I had a helper I would have taken pictures, but it would be identical to the others that have already posted the pictures too...........which I printed out and followed their instructions.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Rudy Alex
Intermediate

Hmm. Dealer charged me only $150 for mine (I had my own sparkplugs from the parts store).
Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rudy Alex
Hmm. Dealer charged me only $150 for mine (I had my own sparkplugs from the parts store).
Did the dealer change your coils?

If so they probably only traded out the ones that seemed corroded and not all of them........
Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Rudy Alex
Intermediate

No they just changed sparkplugs, said coils were fine, regardless I have the extended warranty where it's free on the coils.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:48 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rudy Alex
No they just changed sparkplugs, said coils were fine, regardless I have the extended warranty where it's free on the coils.
What were you refering to costing only 150???? You mean dealer charged you 150 bucks to install 6 spark plugs for you?

993 I just used your link........its identical........I cracked the ****e out of my connectors etc.

http://993c4s.com/advise/maintenance...ange-tutorial/
Old 01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
charlieXS
Pro

OK I finally had to do mine... read the DIY's and did it myself. Bought the eBay coils for $125 and Denso IXU22 Iridium for $63.

Spent about 1.5 hrs on it, 30 minutes on the first one and 10 minutes each to follow. I was afraid to break the little plastic clips by yanking the mystery tool too hard.

BTW the stealer quoted me $1200 to replace all 6 coils and plugs.

Oh and 4/6 had cracked black plastic insulator.

OH and just a note... the Denso IXU22 plug was about 1/8" shorter in total length than the OEM NGK plug... I was all freaked about it but double checked and triple checked that teh IXU22 was correct for the 3.2L V6 and what can I say... it works so it must be right!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cordsig79
What were you refering to costing only 150???? You mean dealer charged you 150 bucks to install 6 spark plugs for you?

993 I just used your link........its identical........I cracked the ****e out of my connectors etc.

http://993c4s.com/advise/maintenance...ange-tutorial/
Glad you were able to use the post. Why did you change coils at 60k? Is that recommended interval and I just missed it? I'm at 51k right now and all is well.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Well, I guess it's time: my P!g left me stranded last night. My own fault, I've been ignoring the occasional warning signs for months. Coils are ordered, should be here in a few days.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I probably need to look at doing mine again...I am due for the following @ 160k

Transmission Filer/fluid recommended @ 160k miles.
Cabin Filter
Valve body replacement

Optional probably should do..
Coils and plugs proactively, no issues yet but I would probably get 1-2 mpg better in city.
Cardan shaft? No issue yet but my first one popped @ 65k.
Get the front lights redone professionally, wetsanded and clear UV coat sprayed on(used OTC stuff its ok but need to get pitting removed thats deep).

Find a trailer for multi use functionality.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Coils are in, and it is so daggone cold! But, I miss my P!g, so I might just grit my teeth and go for it...
Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Okay: swapped just the coils on Saturday and it was too easy. Took about 30 minutes. However, no change: good start, rough idle, stall. So, I bought a set of plugs and swapped those tonight. Again: too easy. About 30 minutes. And, again: no change: good start, rough idle, stall.

Now I'm thinking fuel pump:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...e-engine-dies/
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-starting.html

Gonna give that a try tomorrow.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 PM
stormin48061
Intermediate

Shawn, by chance did this happen after you put some fresh petrol in the tank? Reason is, in our first bout of cold weather, mine turned over, ran very very rough for about 10 seconds and died!!. Charged the battery up cuz we drained the battery from multiple attempts to start it. Yes i filled it up with petrol. The car ran the night before but wouldn't start the next morning. I went out and got some methyl hydrate (gas line antifreeze) and poured in about half a quart. Luckily for me, we got a warm up spell before the temperature dropped again (went up to like 40 degrees). She cranked over, ran rough for about 3 minutes then ran like it normally does. I thought it was plugs and coils as well, but that didn't make sense cuz it ran the night before and the only change was filling 'er up. Has started up every since, including our minus 31 degree weather. Maybe try the $4.00 methyl hydrate and it might just be moisture in the system?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Well, I'm on the back half of the tank, so I don't think that's it. But, I'll keep it in mind if the fuel pump fuse trick doesn't do it.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:39 PM
F15DOC
Intermediate

Did you hook up a tester like the durametric to see what codes it is throwing?

Quick Reply: Changed my spark plugs on the 06 Cayenne V6