Sponsored by:

Cayenne 2006 Bi-Xenons

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne 2006 Bi-Xenons

Hi I've been searching around for a while now but I can't seem to tell for sure if I have the bi-xenons on my cayenne. I read that even if you have bi-xenons the halogen lights will turn on for high beam, is this correct? Also, when I switch to high beam I hear a little click noise, could this be the shield? There is no horizontal line across the hid's but is there a sure way to tell if you have bi xenons or not on the cayenne?

One last thing, about the low beam lights, I've been getting the "!" warning on my low beam sometimes (once every other day), but the thing is, both lights will stay on even if the warning comes up. The only thing different is the cornering lights go off for some reason, and when I restart the car, everything works fine. What could be causing this? I mean, when the low beam warning comes on, doesn't it mean that one light is not working or something?

Your inputs are very appreciated.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

they look SO different from the outside it should be obvious
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

You can tell by looking at your headlights from the front. If they are a projector style lens, then they are most likely HID. If they are a traditional reflector style, then they are halogens.

The halogen lights do come on when you have HIDs and you select high beams, but the HIDs also open the shutter fully to provide more light.

The "!" issue you are experiencing is most likely from a loose headlight assembly or from dirty contacts.
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Thank you for the response, I might have made myself unclear. I do have xenons headlights but I was wondering if they are bi xenons. Or are you saying that on the cayenne, if you have hid then you have bi xenons? I tried again tonight and I can clearly hear a "click" everytime the high beams come on, I saw it against my garage door and I'm pretty sure they're bi xenons but I'll snap a picture tomorrow to show you.

One more question about high beam, I'm getting the "check high beam !" and I noticed against the wall when I put the highbeams on, the right side is not as bright as the left side, but the halogen light turns on? Actually, I'm gonna go snap a pic right now and show you guys, I'll be back.

Edit:

Ok so, something else I noticed. If the light were set to OFF, the high beams would just look like the halogen turning on but when I turned the light to ON (last position), it seems the xenons shield goes up and they light up with the halogen. I took two pics to confirm.

First picture is low beam, second picture is the high beam on with the light switch to the max position and last picture is the high beam with lights on OFF

Note how on the second picture, the right side does not light up the same way? What can cause this, is it a defective HID or electrical I really don't know much about this stuff.

Once again, thanks a lot for the help you guys are awesome
Attached Images    
Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

I thought they ONLY came in Bi-Xenon format ?

Originally Posted by ryan09
Thank you for the response, I might have made myself unclear. I do have xenons headlights but I was wondering if they are bi xenons. Or are you saying that on the cayenne, if you have hid then you have bi xenons? I tried again tonight and I can clearly hear a "click" everytime the high beams come on, I saw it against my garage door and I'm pretty sure they're bi xenons but I'll snap a picture tomorrow to show you.

One more question about high beam, I'm getting the "check high beam !" and I noticed against the wall when I put the highbeams on, the right side is not as bright as the left side, but the halogen light turns on? Actually, I'm gonna go snap a pic right now and show you guys, I'll be back.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 790 Posts

They do only come in bi-xenon or in halogen.

From the photo above, it appears that the passenger's side shutter isn't opening. I'm not sure why this would be - maybe a connection problem, or maybe a problem with the HID shutter mechanism.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:52 PM
ryan09
Advanced

Thank you for the replies. I took it to my mechanics today and he could not find what the problem was. Could a defective HID cause this problem? I'll try myself tonight undoing the headlight and see whats going on but, if it's as shield mechanism problem then do you think the whole headlight assembly has to be changed?

Ryan
Old 10-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Shanksy55
4th Gear

I have a 2005 model that love driving in the dark as I drive along at 80 fantastic Porsche
Looks like this is a common fault with loads of cayennes but Porsche centres don't now how to fix the fault I'm going back to a x5 before my crap cayenne kills me and my family
Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

As he said, sounds like the right side shutter isn't opening all the way but visually when you look at the lights on High beam you do see the Halogen and Xenon bulbs both on?
What's all of this X5 talk, I had an X5 once and it was a problem child, maybe my Cayenne is abnormal as I've never had a problem with it and love the power and handling ('06 CTTS). I did replace the Coolant pipes last year myself as preventitive but every car has a achilles hill now and then. My X5 had a tail light assembly that faulted internally and started to catch on fire?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:14 AM
Heidi993
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You can tell by looking at your headlights from the front. If they are a projector style lens, then they are most likely HID. If they are a traditional reflector style, then they are halogens.

The halogen lights do come on when you have HIDs and you select high beams, but the HIDs also open the shutter fully to provide more light.

The "!" issue you are experiencing is most likely from a loose headlight assembly or from dirty contacts.
Hi Dennis - I know this is an old thread, but could you explain which one of the photos is xenon, and which is halogen please?
I have a 2009 Diesel, and a bulb had gone.
I am getting confused between halogen, xenon and bi-xenon.
My lights look like the really clear one on the right, but the guy at the parts store said they weren't xenon.
I am really confused

thanks

Heidi
Old 10-16-2015, 11:22 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bi-xenon simply means the cutoff moves down to allow the full projector to illuminate the road when you turn on the high beams. Regular xenons have a fixed cutoff plate.

Pull the headlight out and look to see what bulbs you have if you're not sure. Halogen will have simple wires connected to it. Xenon will have a large metal connector with a thick wire attached to it. It takes less than a minute to pull the headlight out and pop the rear cover off.

Quick Reply: Cayenne 2006 Bi-Xenons