2011 Cayenne S - Pics and Leipzig Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne S - Pics and Leipzig Delivery

Hi,

Picked up my Cayenne S from the factory in Leipzig today. Went on the track, did the offroad track, took a tour of the production facility and had a fantastic lunch. The tour was especially enlightening, since we were the only English speakers we got our own guide and she spent a lot of time giving us the details of the car and production, fascinating stuff.

Since our car was going to the American market, the GPS didn't work (they could have uploaded the European maps for 500 Euro...). They gave us a portable and it worked fine.

Drove 120-150 mph to Copenhagen, when the car is in 8th gear you are at about 3500 rpm at 130 mph or so, well within the break in recommendations. We have 10 more days touring Scandinavia and Germany, we'll end up in Stuttgart where we will drop the car off with Porsche.

Thanks to everyone for the help with my order and all the invaluable information from the forum!

Jason
Attached Images      
Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

I am wicked jealous. My only stay in Europe of more than a couple hours was a four-day R&R in Frankfurt with my wife (who flew in from the States). That was in '08 in the middle of my Afghanistan deployment.

I'm hoping to get back over some day, and I'd love to do it like this!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

thats awesome, any pics of off road track? sounds like fun (a track solely built for the pepper!)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delighted for you,very cool
I will be there in 2 weeks picking up my CT
Looking forward to it
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice new Cayenne S!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Way to do it. Great. We are all very happy for you. I wish you had the roofrails...if you did, I could have tricked my friends into believing that the first picture was my CS taken in Germany before being shipped to me in Oregon ... where is Riley when I need him for photoshop ... just kidding.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Euro delivery is the only way to enjoy the full experience of the car. Not too bad time of the year, nice and cool.
Beautiful looking car and thanks for sharing your experience
Post more pics if you have a chance!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 198 Posts

Awesome- congrats! What an experience it must be. Beautiful car, very classy. Enjoy the rest of your trip, thanks for sharing and hope to hear about the rest of your journey with the new ride.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:13 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Your trip sounds sweet. Especially the "drove 120-150 mph" part. To legally be able to do that on NJTPK would be nice
Old 03-23-2011, 02:05 AM
gte
Advanced

Sounds like a great trip. Great looking car! I just ordered with anthracite, but the walnut looks way better with the black than I thought it would. WoW
Old 03-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Muhanad
Intermediate

Congrats on your car hope you enjoy it with good health
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Congrats! Your trip sounds sweet. Especially the "drove 120-150 mph" part. To legally be able to do that on NJTPK would be nice
Kudos, its harder to keep a steady 120-150 on the Autobahn than you think...cause of the trucks(except Sunday)..you have mostly 2 lane highways with one truck going 70 slowwwly overtaking another truck going 60...
But when a truck free stretch of autobahn clears up..it is quite a rush to open it up and be able to use all the power of your car the way it was meant to be
Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Outstanding. I really hope you have enjoyed the experience.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

So far so good. Made it from Leipzig to Copenhagen, Gothenburg-Sweden, Oslo, Aalborg-Denmark, Hamburg, Luxembourg and tomorrow Stuttgart.

A few interesting things:

-The reason that they are using the Tiptronic instead of the PDK is that the PDK is heavier (part of the 400 lb. reduction) and that the PDK sits/joins differently, it wouldn't allow 5 passengers, it would be right in the middle of the backseat (think Panamera backseat).

-A Cayenne that is heavily optioned is referred to as a Christmas tree, it has all of the spots on the parts cart filled.

-The Porsche employee culture is really fantastic, they keep their employees happy. Cayenne's are audited randomly as they are completed, if the vehicle passes the strict tolerances, they entire workforce at Leipzig gets a bonus. In the office portion of the plant, there are no cubicles separating the workers and managers, it is very open and "airy".

-The tour guide thought it was funny when I pronounced Cajun as we would here in the US. They pronounce it "kai-yoon", with the J pronounced as a Y. They are expanding the plant to produce the Cajun, and they will also move Cayenne chassis and paint to Leipzig from Bratislava, Slovakia where the Cayenne chassis, paint and dash/loom are assembled.

-Gas is ridiculous! We are lucky in the US, gas in Europe is right around $11 a gallon! It has been costing nearly $200 to fill the car up.

I'll probably have more photos after I go to the Porsche museum tomorrow, but here is a photo of Ferry Porsche's wife's '73 911 that is at the Leipzig plant, my Cayenne in Gothenburg Sweden, crossing 1000 miles and a menacing front end shot.
Attached Images     
Old 05-08-2012, 09:03 AM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Default Cayenne chassis/paint move from Bratislava to Leipzig

"and they will also move Cayenne chassis and paint to Leipzig from Bratislava, Slovakia"

Hi, did they indicate the timing for the move? Thanks Doug

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S - Pics and Leipzig Delivery