Advise on a 2004 Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Advise on a 2004 Cayenne Turbo

Hi guys,

We are in the search for a "family car/suv" and one of the options we are looking at is older version of the Cayenne Turbo. I have read some of the issues these cars have and understand this is not a cheap car to maintain. I have found this 2004 CTT with the following main options to mention:

Car is sold by original owner and with all Service records from Dealer with 61k miles no accidents.

I have read on the main issues that I will find out if addressed - Driveshaft and Water tube update from Intake manifold.

What else am I missing to check or worry about? Do I worry about the tranny?

Anyway, car is about 1 hour from home so wanted to get some input first from you guys and see what to look for

Thanks!
    Old 04-08-2011, 10:39 PM
    echerbst
    Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coils, Coolant pipes, driveshafts, transmission valve body, PCM failures, water pumps, fuel pumps, brake hoses and vacuum pump, front diff. Those are the most common things to be replaced. At 61k miles if it has been maintained then you should have no major issues, but you never know. If you dont know the cars that well, have someone who does check it out. Make sure it has never been in any major accidents. I have a 2006 Turbo S, with 100k miles that has had no major issues so if u maintain them they will run a long time.

I change all my fluids regulary and do all the work on the car myself, I am a tech. The reason they are so cheap now is that people dont want to deal with issues and cost of repairs at dealers. So if you have a good indepent tech that is great otherwise get ready to get hosed everytime u take it in.
    Old 04-09-2011, 01:56 AM
    airdiesel
    Track Day

You mentioned "water tube." I don't know what it is.
    Just as previous poster mentioned, coil and coolant pipes are two items that I can suggest to inquiry to the owner.
    I own a 2004 Turbo model in Southern California.
    I don't think it is common to find a 2004 Turbo model to have all the options you listed, not to mention only 61K miles in California market. Even though it is a Porsche, 61K miles for 2004 is a low mile vehicle. So, as long as the car is in good, clean condition, I think it is a good candidate.
    Old 04-09-2011, 02:26 AM
    francars
    Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the advice

I meant for the 'water tube' the upgrade from the coolant pipes. I spoke with my local Porsche Service Manager who I known for years and he did mentioned all the list echerbst said.

I also had a chance to speak with the Porsche Service Dept were car was taken care of and ALL maintenance was performed. I am going to see car tomorrow and hope there are no issues to worry about.
    Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 AM
    bigbuzuki
    Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out your front control arm bushings as well. They will be worn at 60k miles as would most of the rubber on the suspension.
    Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 AM
    francars
    Three Wheelin'

So went to look at car today and is super clean! Tranny felt good. Oil change recently done last month. Brakes/rotors 3k miles ago. I had a chance to look at all history from day 1 of ownership. I did not see any coolant pipe upgrade, driveshaft or any major work but it went to service for everything and any issues were done under warranty. Car is clean. The question is shall I factor in the possible issues in the car after I buy? In extended warranty will cost me bucks from dealer at 61k miles (over $10k!!). I did not see any major issues as the current owner had done them. The asking is 32k. Comes with 2 sets of wheels. What do you guys think on price on a near mint car (IMO)?
    Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 AM
    bigbuzuki
    Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What major issues had the owner done?
    Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 PM
    francars
    Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
    What major issues had the owner done?
    I really did not see anything major other than TPMS sensors going off a few times (He has BBS 21 wheels). He did the 60k miles at 56k miles (last year). I saw things like the horn not working properly, heated seat not warming up (fuse). Rest were regular schedule maintenance
    Old 04-10-2011, 02:35 PM
    Shawn Stanford
    Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

My gut is that the price is a little high.
    Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 PM
    francars
    Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
    My gut is that the price is a little high.
    I just did US Autotrader search and prices range from $26k (higher miles) to $35k (lower miles).

I like idea of car being close to home. I know the owner and have seen all records. I am going to ask if they will take $28k for her and see. Yeah, 32k seems high based on what I have read
    Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 PM
    seankrider
    Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
    Check out your front control arm bushings as well. They will be worn at 60k miles as would most of the rubber on the suspension.
    Not to get off topic... but what exactly does one look for on this? I'm going under one of these weeks to replace front rotors & pads. Thanks.
    Old 04-12-2011, 06:53 PM
    Dennis C
    Rocky Mountain High
    Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

I don't think it sounds like a bad deal from the original owner, with service records, and with another set of wheels. Pic???
    Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 AM
    francars
    Three Wheelin'

Dennis,

I have seen that KBB is 30,700 for Excellent private party. I have seen a few in the $27k-28k range. So that is why I am hesitant on paying a premium for a Non CPOd car?

Here is a pic with the BBS wheels. The 19s are included. I should know this week if I will get her or not.
    Attached Images  
    Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 AM
    bbcoach51
    Intermediate

I purchased my 04 CTT about 20 months ago for $26,900 here in Southern California. It had 67,000 miles. Most of the same options as the one you are looking at including the original 20" wheels and the 22's that were on it. The coolant pipes had been changed. I've changed the driveshaft, coils and a small plastic tee between the firewall and engine. (Almost as much work as changing the coolant pipes except the part was only about $10.00) Not using as a daily driver, but love driving it when I do. I would do some pricing research and use the information to make an offer around $25,900 to 27,900. Mine also had 2 months left on CPO which covered the new coils.
    Old 04-13-2011, 01:40 PM
    francars
    Three Wheelin'

Will do and thanks for the feedback. I know history means a lot to me and this one has! That is why I am still considering paying a little bit more but not $5k over the market!

Quick Reply: Advise on a 2004 Cayenne Turbo