Sponsored by:

Cardan Shaft Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM
libtech75
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cardan Shaft Replaced

It's funny. I've had a lot of cars over the years. I try get a handle on what the common types of issues are on certain cars as it becomes obvious on particular models that the same types of problems arise over and over. When I say "over and over" that usually means more common than average.

What I found out about the Cayenne is that the hit rate for common problems is more like 100%. It's not a matter of "if" but "when".

I've been lucky that in the past cars I've found, many of them so-called "problematic" cars such as various A4s, TT, Touareg - I've been lucky to avoid virtually any issue. Not so with this new (to me) Cayenne I purchased a few months ago.

Few weeks after I brought it home I had to replace the coolant pipes. After I fixed the pipes I still kept getting a leak and found out the coolant reservoir tank had cracked. After a few weeks of driving around in "no coolant issue" bliss - car started violently shaking and I knew it was the Cardan Shaft.

Ordered from Vertex after doing some research. Came in 3 days. Cost $389 with free shipping. Looked beefy and in good shape. Had my indy install it - took less than an hour. He removed the exhaust, unbolted the old shaft and installed the new one. Then replaced the exhaust. Charged me hour and a half labor.

It's strange to me that I am on the losing end already on two of the three "trinity" of Cayenne problems. Especially since it's only been a few months. I guess I've just been unlucky - or maybe I've just been lucky in the past. Depends how you look at it. I also think that the previous owner really babied this car with weekend excursions on the highway. Car had 54K when I bought it on original wheels that didn't even have a spot of curb rash! No scratches or dents anywhere.

Now that I brought the car back home to NYC and it has experienced the nightmares or pot hole ridden street after street, and stop and go traffic daily - I think it is just rebelling on me a little bit.

Thank God for my Indy Mechanic who changed my coolant pipes in under four hours and who now did a quick turnaround on the cardan shaft. I feel like I dodged a bullet in some ways with both repairs because I was able to drive around a few days with the coolant pipe and same with the Cardan Shaft. Neither of the issues were sudden or extreme. Also I spent little more on the repairs than I would have on any issue that I had on previous Audi A4's.

When the car is fine, it's been such a blast to drive. My wife loves the car more than I do! Hopefully I've gotten the gremlins out and the car has grown out of his rebellious stage...

Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And the news here is.......?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow, my '06 Turbo S has 52K on it and I think the shaft is pretty much the same as a regular Turbo's or even that of and 'S' so you would think the extra TQ would beat it up soon. I'll be ready for it when it happens I guess.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 AM
bbcoach51
Intermediate

Not finished yet! There's the coils and lifts/struts for back hatch. All worth it though.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Vitaly Slinkin
5th Gear

Отдельно ставятся подшипники.
Attached Images   
Old 05-24-2011, 08:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Vitaly - very nice - but what's it mean? We know there are replacement bearing assemblies..
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

According to Google translator: "Separately, put bearings"
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Vitaly Slinkin
5th Gear

Hello friends!!!
I impart experience from Russia, at us change separately the cardan bearing instead of as the official dealer offers.

Quick Reply: Cardan Shaft Replaced