Sponsored by:

Porsche driveshaft install documentation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:10 PM
jucarbon
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche driveshaft install documentation

Hi, anybody has the porsche procedure to install a driveshaft. The dealer is telling me that the driveshaft need to be balanced in the transmision and diferential part. As far as I know the driveshaft need to be balanced in the center bearing so no vibrations are present.

I bought a vertex driveshaft and my cayenne is doing the same metal to metal sound as it was doing with the old one. The old driveshaft was in good condition when removed no play or sound on the center bearing.

They keep telling me is the driveshaft and want to replace it with a new one charging me 1550.00
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I am not a big fan of Vertex as much of their rebuilt stuff is a little cheap, their are a few others much better out there. But the drive shaft should be balanced by a reputable rebuilder already, then proper alignment is all it should need. That means a straight shot from the transmission to the rear diff with the driveshaft in a straight line passing through the center bearing. A couple of real high quality (better than OEM) drive shafts are:
http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/porsche_cayenne.htm
http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/porsche_cayenne.htm
Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

hahnmgh63, thanks for the link. Haven't had a driveshaft problem but know it's only a matter of time.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:11 AM
toptier
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced my driveshaft with a rebuilt one from Colorado driveshaft and couldn't be happier. The shaft is balanced and no vibrations.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

driveshaft comes from porsche or vertex already balanced. Just install. read thru this thread "Cardan shaft DIY...and other stuff"

Quick Reply: Porsche driveshaft install documentation