'12 Cayenne Ordering Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:02 AM
tilley
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 Cayenne Ordering Question

Looking to order a 2012 V6 Cayenne.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not 4k for Navigation is "worth it" (Canadian prices).

If I order the Bose package, will I have iPod connectivity/control via the vehicle system? Does anyone have any clarity as to what is lost other than the obvious navigation feature if I do not equip the vehicle with the "Porsche Communication Management Including Navigation Module" option?

The option reads as follows:
Central multi-media and DVD navigation system including high-resolution 7-inch WVGA TFT colour monitor with touchscreen. MP3 and audio/video DVD compatible drive and 11 Loudspeakers, 235 Watt total output. Navigation module with hard drive and 3D navigation map, navigation route calculation, automatic route tracing and navigation in non-digitized regions.

Does this mean, if I do not equip, I do not get a monitor with touchscreen??

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:07 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Hate to be negative, but have you talked with your Porsche sales representative? I found our team in Edmonton to be very helpful in deciding what options will give us exactly what we want.
Not to mention the opportunity to actually try your phone in a real 2011 Cayenne, and see if the with or without Navigation is what you can live with.
We wanted the rear view camera so had to get the PCM with Nav.
As far as Nav and needing it, we have been living with dash and windshield mounted nav units - makes a huge difference to us to have it in the car. If this doesn't matter to you, it might not be worth the price. Don't forget the cost of upgrading the in car nav can be pricey.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The base vehicle does come with a touchscreen but it has a a lot less functionality. In addition to Nav, the only way to get the USB interface for MP3/iPod is to order the PCM with Nav module. Also, the reverse camera can only be ordered if you have PCM/Nav and there are some cool trip computer info and personal setting functions in PCM that come with the option.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:10 PM
ozr
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tilley
Looking to order a 2012 V6 Cayenne.

If I order the Bose package, will I have iPod connectivity/control via the vehicle system?

!
Yes, by ONE simple basic cable ONLY. To pass music to the car ONLY interface between iPod and a Car CDR !!! CDR does not read/display on it's screen your iPod music play lists. Just basic interface="pass voice ONLY"...

...when you order w PCM, you get connectivity by ONE additional cable= USB cable instead of using just basic simple cable, described above. This USB cable allows to establish more sophisticated interface between your iPod Operating system and Car Operating system in PCM. In this case your iPod will PASS it's music play lists to car PCM for display. You will be able to manage your iPod USING CAR PCM touch sensitive screen. You will see your iPod play lists on car PCM display.

In general, CDR has ALL BASIC functionality of PCM. PORSCHE AG just simply CUT some functions in CDR Operating System software vs PCM OS software.

So, if you order car with CDR, you simply will not see some functions on a screen display vs PCM.

Originally Posted by tilley

I'm on the fence as to whether or not 4k for Navigation is "worth it" (Canadian prices).

Does this mean, if I do not equip, I do not get a monitor with touchscreen??

!
No. With CDR you DO get the monitor with touchscreen. CDR IS a touch screen!!! monitor.

Is it worth it? it's for your NEEDS to decide. BUT if you do not want to spend 4K and do NOT need ADDITIONAL functionality, provided by PCM, you CAN live with the basic functionality, provided by CDR.

With CDR you WILL hear your iPod music laud and clear. Just the only functions you'll see on CDR iPod screen=Aux screen are:

music balance,
tremble,
bass
and that's it.

Last edited by ozr; 06-16-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 AM
tilley
4th Gear

Save the first comment, this is some great feedback (for a first post!)
I think if it was just "navigation" I would pass on the option, but since the additional ipod/communication/trip computer features come with it as well, I think its a "must-have".
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Sorry Tilley.

You are right, there are some great sources of information here.

We used the many excellent posts from the fantastic users here to help clarify what we needed and wanted in our Cayenne.
Ultimately, we test drove (and test nav'd, test blue toothed, etc) the configurations we were considering to finalize our decisions.

Good luck with your pre-order decision making!

Quick Reply: '12 Cayenne Ordering Question