Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview Camera INOP from Factory.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:32 PM
j080808
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearview Camera INOP from Factory.

News to those taking delivery soon…Background- It got to port last week and it promptly went to the dealer on Saturday with me taking delivery Tuesday. I was backing it off of my transport and noticed the rearview camera didn’t come on. I didn’t think too much about it, just figured it was switched off. Well, went into the PCM/Car/Options/Set Car menu where there should be the options for the camera (on, off, grid lines, brightness, contrast) and there is no option for the camera settings. Called the selling dealer today and he advised there was communication from PCNA saying that the electronic part for the camera was not being installed in cars because of parts shortage (Japan) and that the required electronics will be available in November. Dealer took delivery of one last week that was fine, seemed mine was one of the first that was shorted. How this effects 2012's, you may want to check so you aren't surprised. How this effects those awaiting 2011 delivery, I guess it depends when the cutoff was.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:11 AM
Tex94
Instructor

What did the dealer say about getting installed later? Just going to call you in November and the dealer will install it themselves? Hope that is relatively easy but I have a feeling at least a few dealers may screw this up. I'll probably be in the same situation since mine is on a boat right now...but my dealer is 400 miles away so I hope I don't need to drive back for an install...
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Blue Ridge Runner
Rennlist Member

Our 2012 CTT order "completed production" on 11 June. Now awaiting shipment/delivery in the US--estimated at 5-6 weeks....will advise if rear camera is operative when delivered.
This could be a real pain for the Lady of the House.
Thanks for the "heads-up"...!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM
j080808
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tex94
What did the dealer say about getting installed later? Just going to call you in November and the dealer will install it themselves? Hope that is relatively easy but I have a feeling at least a few dealers may screw this up. I'll probably be in the same situation since mine is on a boat right now...but my dealer is 400 miles away so I hope I don't need to drive back for an install...
I had the same questions myself. He told me to follow-up with him in November to see what the status was and my local dealer would install. I asked him what all was involved installing the module, he wasnt a "tech" kind of guy but thought the PCM would need to be pulled. I really dont want/need my dash taken apart...My selling dealer is 650 miles away, luckily I also have a dealer 3 blocks from my house. Is 400 miles the closest dealer to you?

Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Runner
Our 2012 CTT order "completed production" on 11 June. Now awaiting shipment/delivery in the US--estimated at 5-6 weeks....will advise if rear camera is operative when delivered.
This could be a real pain for the Lady of the House.
Thanks for the "heads-up"...!!!
There could be a VIN cutoff point, your salesperson may be able to check if it was installed, the info my salesperson quoting was from the PPN (kind of like their intranet?)

I really got spoiled with rear view camera on my last couple cars, its nice to see whats right behind you, especially where I live at a three way intersection plus no sidewalks for pedestrians. I dont think it has prevented me from running over/into someone/something, but its a nice supplement to have, especially when backing into a tight spot so your nose doesnt stick out.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Tex94
Instructor

There is a dealer closer to me, in the same town, but I'm guessing they are going to send my camera to the selling dealer so I will need to arrange for them to ship it up and then get my own dealer to do it. Not the end of the world but more of a pain than I want to deal with on a new car. Especially if they need to pull the PCM to install. Would have hoped they wired the whole thing and just had to plug in the camera...

I'm sure they didnt charge the full cost of the vehicle and gave you a $1k discount for the missing camera, right? Hah, too much to hope for.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
j080808
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tex94
There is a dealer closer to me, in the same town, but I'm guessing they are going to send my camera to the selling dealer so I will need to arrange for them to ship it up and then get my own dealer to do it. Not the end of the world but more of a pain than I want to deal with on a new car. Especially if they need to pull the PCM to install. Would have hoped they wired the whole thing and just had to plug in the camera...

I'm sure they didnt charge the full cost of the vehicle and gave you a $1k discount for the missing camera, right? Hah, too much to hope for.
The camera is there, apparently its the interface between the camera and PCM thats missing (sorry, I should have been more clear). My sales rep said its all by VIN, once the part is available, the dealer in your town will be able to look it up and see what part is needed and order.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Technical Information
43/11 EN 9143

May 10, 2011

Reversing camera

Model year: as of 2011
Information

Document with limited validity
This Quick Information is valid until 31 October 2011

Vehicle Type:
Cayenne/Cayenne Diesel/Cayenne S Hybrid/Cayenne S/Cayenne Turbo
Equipment: Reversing camera (I-no 7X9)
Reversing camera incl. front and rear ParkAssist (I-no. 7X8)

Concerns: Reversing camera
Situation:
Limited availability of optional equipment “Reversing camera” (I-no. 7X9) and “Reversing camera incl. front and rear ParkAssist” (I-no. 7X8). The availability of optional equipment“Reversing camera” (I-no 7X9) and
“Reversing camera incl. front and rear ParkAssist” (I-no. 7X8)
is limited due to worldwide bottlenecks at individual suppliers.Since 05.05.2011, vehicles with this optional equipment have been manufactured on which the reversing camera is installed but is not yet functional.The reversing camera display in the PCM display is therefore deactivated when reversing.
On vehicles with I-no. 7X8, the front and rear ParkAssist functions (visual parking aid and acoustic warning) are fully available. Please bear this in mind when carrying out any fault finding.A retrofit kit is not currently available from the Parts Service.From October 2011, we expect to be able to provide you with information on appropriate activities for retrofitting the affected vehicles.Please pass this information on to your sales department so that affected customers will be informed accordingly.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
j080808
Advanced

Thanks John.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:08 AM
NeverFastEnough
Advanced

Thanks for the info.

I just took delivery of a 2011 Cayenne Turbo (May build, I think) and the rearview camera is mounted in the tailgate but is non-functional. As the the above bulletin said the Park Assist works, but the rearview camera does not even come up in the PCM, as j080808 pointed out.

I guess we will have to wait until October to see what happens.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:47 PM
rlporter5
Intermediate

Perhaps some parts sourced from Japan that were effected by the quake issues there?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Blue Ridge Runner
Rennlist Member

2012 CTT June 11 production was delivered at dealership yesterday--July 11.
Reversing camera IS inoperative and "awaiting parts availability".
One note of interest:
The "current paddle-shift steering wheel option" eliminates all wheel-mounted convenience controls--phone, audio, cruise, mute, etc. My 2009 GTS had these and they will be missed. The shift paddles are cool, boy-racer stuff but the loss of functional controls on the steering wheel is a bummer. Our BMW has both paddles and steering wheel controls-- apparently this combination exceeded Porsche's engineering capability (huh?)
On a happier note, the first 100 miles on the CTT have been uneventful--love the 8-speed and that motor!!!

Quick Reply: Rearview Camera INOP from Factory.