Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of engine power while driving!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of engine power while driving!?!

My 04 CTT had a sudden loss of power while driving. With no warnings, no warning lights, no CEL, no lights of any kind on the dash. All seems normal until you try to add throttle and you get nothing. Power steering is of course lost which makes things real interesting. Pull to the side of the road, put car in park, turn key off then immediately restart car. Car will start but engine will sputter and hunt and then after 30 seconds or so will clear up and be just fine.

I had the drivers side filter flange replaced because of a leak 2 weeks ago. Anyone maybe have the same issue or know what may be the cause?

This has happened 3 times in the last week and it's damn dangerous!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 793 Posts

Sounds a bit like the symptoms my CS displayed when the primary fuel pump was failing...
Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 AM
KMCTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Sounds a bit like the symptoms my CS displayed when the primary fuel pump was failing...
That's the pump on the drivers side correct?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:03 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 793 Posts

I don't know which side it's on... my mechanic replaced it and it solved my problem.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:26 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

AFAIK - there is no primary/secondary pumps. Both are primary.. they switch depending on the amount of fuel in their half of the tank (and it's done that way so the P!G keeps running when driving along at a 45 degree tilt to starboard or port..) You can determine which pump is at fault by removing the fuel pump fuse for each pump. Remove one, then try starting the P!G it should start on the other pump. Replace that one, remove the other - same thing. The one it won't start on means the OTHER pump is bad.. (confusing until you think about it..)
Old 09-05-2011, 02:19 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
AFAIK - there is no primary/secondary pumps. Both are primary.. they switch depending on the amount of fuel in their half of the tank (and it's done that way so the P!G keeps running when driving along at a 45 degree tilt to starboard or port..) You can determine which pump is at fault by removing the fuel pump fuse for each pump. Remove one, then try starting the P!G it should start on the other pump. Replace that one, remove the other - same thing. The one it won't start on means the OTHER pump is bad.. (confusing until you think about it..)
Thanks for the help!

Ok I pulled fuse 13 and it started. Reinstalled fuse. Pulled fuse 14 and it started. Reinstalled fuse. Should I be looking elsewhere?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Sounds like it. Sounds as if both pumps are working..
Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM
KMCTT
Instructor

Maybe dealer reprogramming would fix....
Old 05-30-2022, 03:34 PM
Florida Laura
1st Gear

Default Ditto

I am following. I recently had the same issue which left me stranded in Georgia for 4 days....twice. Shop did a tune-up and oil change. Called my mechanic at home who suggested the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor. The replaced it and it started right up. Broke down 4 hours later. Towed home and it started right up. When on another road trip after that. It started acting up for about half hour of driving then straightened up and ran fine. Then last week it started it again when I was out running errands. Seems to be when I have done a lot of stop and start driving. I am not getting any warning lights and no codes are being thrown.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:48 AM
MGW-Fla
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had this today on our '05S. Driving along and its like the engine shut off, but it didn't. But no power when pressing the accelerator, no warning lights, or other symptoms. Pulled over put it in park & waited a minute, then it decided to go again. Drove fine for about 10 minutes. Made one stop & after 30 minutes of it sitting I drove it again, and didn't go a few blocks & it did it again. Was able to drive back the several blocks at 4 mph to wait for a tow truck. Will pursue the fuel pump avenue to see if that might be it.

Old 04-14-2023, 02:00 AM
Simran Ahluwalia
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MGW-Fla
Just had this today on our '05S. Driving along and its like the engine shut off, but it didn't. But no power when pressing the accelerator, no warning lights, or other symptoms. Pulled over put it in park & waited a minute, then it decided to go again. Drove fine for about 10 minutes. Made one stop & after 30 minutes of it sitting I drove it again, and didn't go a few blocks & it did it again. Was able to drive back the several blocks at 4 mph to wait for a tow truck. Will pursue the fuel pump avenue to see if that might be it.
Hey MGW,
Did you ever figure out the issue? Seems like I'm having the same issue, but I'm wondering if it is related to the O2/knock sensors. In either case, appreciate if you can let me know what you found out from your mechanic.

Thanks,
Sim

Quick Reply: Loss of engine power while driving!?!