Trunk and gas door wouldn't open

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trunk and gas door wouldn't open

Had to post this because someone might run into the same issue.

Couple of days ago I couldn't get my gas door to open, had to release it using the emergency release strap from the trunk area inside the side panel.

Last night the trunk would not open, I can hear the release mechanism working from the car side, but didn't hear the solenoid inside the trunk working.

After confirming both the gas door and trunk solenoids are dead I checked the fuse (located on the passenger side, right side of the dash board console). Wola! 15 amp fuse was bad. #31.

After replacing the fuse I found out that the gas door lock solenoid was defective, will not properly retract thus causing a load and shorted the fuse.

So in the mean time I have to take a chance someone might steal my gas when the car is parked, since I disconnected the gas door solenoid.

Thought this might be helpful for someone else in the future to diagnose a similar problem.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 02:07 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me glad the new generation doesn't have a fuel door release.
I prefer the push to click open version anyway.
Or a mechanical fuel door release.

Glad you were able to fix most of the problem.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RESP, I do have the push click release, this solenoid is used when you lock the car and releases when you unlock. I found out that this is a VW part and very prong to failure. part number VW 1M0 959 781
Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to the dealer a year or two ago to get the rear hatch struts replaced and the mechanic came out from the back and asked me how get the hatch open. I was surprised as I never had a problem before, same issue as you, they replaced the the fuel door solinoid and so far so good.

What are the chances that this happened while at the dealer, must have been my lucky day. Car was under warranty at the time.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:35 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the clarification Robin.
Will be watching this, especially before warranty ends.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I cannot seem to find a solenoid part number anywhere. I figured I would revive this thread.

I did find the VW part number above but there isn't even a picture of it. Mine is failing and needs to be replaced.

Any help is appreciated. I may just be looking in the wrong place or not calling it the correct part number.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 01-27-2016, 12:25 AM
88cs
Intermediate

How are you determining the solenoids to be dead? Or dying?

I bought a 2005 Cayenne last night, neither the hatch nor the gas cap cover switches in the door do anything. I found this thread Google searching for others with this problem. I can open my hatch, just not with that switch. I know that because I had to open it and get to the pull for the cap cover to put gas in it:-)

When it's light again I'm going to see if I can get them out and jump across them if they have power.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Edward 96 Viper GTS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have a somewhat related issue. when i press the key fob to lock the car(2006CS), occasionally the gas lid will pop open. any suggestions?
Old 01-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

88cs: If you open the gas door, and then close the car with the key fob, you will see a little pin move out from the rear side of the hole (yellow arrow)

Edward 96 Viper GTS: if the plastic part where the lock pin enters is bent, you might get the pin to hit it instead of going thru it, opening the door instead of locking it. Check for proper adjustment.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 88cs
How are you determining the solenoids to be dead? Or dying?

I bought a 2005 Cayenne last night, neither the hatch nor the gas cap cover switches in the door do anything. I found this thread Google searching for others with this problem. I can open my hatch, just not with that switch. I know that because I had to open it and get to the pull for the cap cover to put gas in it:-)

When it's light again I'm going to see if I can get them out and jump across them if they have power.
I think it couold be a fault on the 958 model. The solenoid on my CD is dead - no noise at all and I only discovered it when washing the car and the fuel flap popped open despite the car being locked.

It looks a complete PITA to take off all the interior trim to tackle the job and as mine makes no noise I either thought fuse/electrical related but cant find anything. It's not shown on the fuse board?

Thing is you rarely check this feature so there may be a few driving around.

Quick Reply: Trunk and gas door wouldn't open