Sponsored by:

Driving in snow with Gen 3/958

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving in snow with Gen 3/958

With snow season approaching, I'm curious from those who have experience with the latest generation drivetrains: When driving on plowed/packed snow, do you put it into one of the "Off Road" modes, or leave it in Street mode?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Anybody? I have the same question.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 AM
m453w
Rennlist Member

Last year had a lot of practice. Never took it out of street mode, and did just fine. But I do have winter tires on my CS.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Off Road locks differentials and severely limits your top speed. Street mode is fine if you want to exceed about 10 mph. Try it now on an empty road and see how fast you can go in Off Road. I only use it to get unstuck or go up/down a steep hill very slowly.

They accelerate fine, stopping not so much.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Off Road locks differentials and severely limits your top speed. Street mode is fine if you want to exceed about 10 mph. Try it now on an empty road and see how fast you can go in Off Road. I only use it to get unstuck or go up/down a steep hill very slowly.

They accelerate fine, stopping not so much.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, once every year or so I try to post something useful.

I wish I had the video after the first snowstorm when I tried to stop to enter the highway. That would be something to get you to Thousands of pounds of vehicle, 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers, and ABS all joined in unison to ridicule me as I slid into the oncoming lane, separated only by a yellow stripe under 6 inches of snow. Fortunately this was a blizzard that prevented the normal intelligent people from occupying the lane that would usually be several vehicles deep.

For Sale: One slightly stained driver's seat.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KS-CS: Did you ever get around to trying it in off-road mode in the snow? Just curious. It appears as if we will be getting some snow here in the West any day now.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Off Road is NOT for snow, unless you get stuck, PSM will take care of you IF

1 - You have Snow Tires
2 - You remember the laws of physics
3 - Don't accelerate hard and if possible don't brake at all or 2 (above) will bite you in the a$$.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Leaving it in street mode works 95% of the time with zero issues. Only on one occasion when skiing up North did I have to switch it to off-road mode due to a freshly snowed street and little traction.

If this is your first winter with the 958, I strongly suggest you practice your driving skills inside a deserted parking lot with the PSM button disengaged. It will make you appreciate the driving dynamic capability of your vehicle and better your skills if faced with a potentially dangerous situation.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
race3
Intermediate

folks... regular street mode is fine and best for most snow driving. if the snow is very deep, try raising the vehicle first.

off road mode 1 does NOT affect any locking differentials
off road mode 2 locks the center
off road mode 3 locks the rear
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

This morning we had about four inches of snow that was preceded by freezing rain last night. The traffic reports were terrible, lots of crashes and spinouts, etc. so I gave my wife a ride to our office in the p!g. I decided to take back roads since the highways were fubar and forgot my secret alternate has a very steep hill. As we got close to the hill there were about 20 cars in front of us waiting at the foot while two cars were sliding sideways back down the hill because they couldn't climb it. We watched one attempt after another as people took a run at it and eventually got turned around and came back downhill. People in front of us and behind us were making U turns as they saw it was futile to go further. My wife asked what I was going to do and I said "whats the worst that can happen? I'll just turn around like everyone else". So I shifted into mode three, and when we were at the front of the line I got up a little speed and went straight up, no slippage whatsoever - all the way to the top - mission accomplished. One other had made it up ahead of us, an Audi quattro. Keep in mind I have Nokian snow tires.

All in all, a great morning. Like the Porsche ad used to say: Happiness, The Kind That Money Can Buy.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Norsk
All in all, a great morning. Like the Porsche ad used to say: Happiness, The Kind That Money Can Buy.
No snow where I live, but still enjoyed your story.......
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Norsk, loved your story. The Cayenne and Minnsnowta are made for each other. I am curious when one would one use mode three ? I too do a lot of winter travel. This shot was taken this AM. See my thread for some other shots.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

wOOt, first time I have used it. I use mode two all the time, as I drive on a lot of gravel roads and want to keep rock chips from happening (by raising the body). The other thing to keep in mind is that by raising the body you create more clearance in the wheel wells when the snow is starting to pack in there. Otherwise, the tires will rub when the front wheels are turned. Up here in Winter you don't want anything larger than 18" rims.

Your pics are spot - on. I remember one hair raising trip some years back where I was leading a caravan of vehicles in a blizzard; the snow was level with the tops of the ditches, no lane markings whatever, I just split the distance between the utility poles for guidance. Thank God I had tire chains on that time.

See what all you Southern Boys are missing?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Norsk, studs with the Nokians??

Quick Reply: Driving in snow with Gen 3/958