Sponsored by:

Does CPO mean CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Deliberate1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does CPO mean CPO?

I have been looking at a Cayenne that is identified on the Porsche site as "CPO." I took a test drive and wrapped my mind around the price on the assumption that the "CPO" designation meant that the car met certain standards and that the extended warranty was included in the asking price. Come to find out, at least at this dealer, the car is considered "pre CPO," meaning that it goes through the certification process, but does not include the coverage unless the customer wants to buy it for $2100. The salesman suggested that they do it this way to give the customer the flexibility to take the coverage or not. That is fair enough, but to all of you is a "CPO" car really "CPO" without the warranty, He called his car "pre-certified." The dealership did not identify it as a CPO car, so I do not think the onus falls on thier shoulders unless the "CPO" designation given to the car on the Porsche site mandates coverage with that designation.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

They are playing a game with you. A car is either CPO or not CPO. Porsche USA will certainly frown upon what they are doing - advertising a car (through Porsche's Website) as CPO and then telling you that it is pre-certified. I think they are trying to take you for an extra $2,100.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was publicly advertised(identified?) as CPO then they are guilty of fraudulent misrepresentation and I would not do business with any company that utilizes this type of business plan. As noted ^ I expect Porsche would NOT be happy to see one of its dealerships operating in this manner. Leaves a very bad taste in one's mouth.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. Find another dealer.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Seems shady. Mine was CPO and the price included it. What is the dealership name?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:24 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VW Dealers do the pre-certification game a lot. Thank God that the P!g is not a VW!

Actually, used car salesman often do lots of games. My favorite is the four box pricing sheet. I love all these mind-numbing games.

With that said, certification is worth the premium $ (say $2,000 - $2,500). Do your research and comparison shopping so that you know what you'd be willing to pay with or without certification. Being able to say no and walk away will ensure eventually you'll get the right deal. Also, remember certified used vehicles often carry financing specials if you are financing. I believe PCNA is offering 2.9% on certain MY P!gs.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:26 AM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Deliberate1
I have been looking at a Cayenne that is identified on the Porsche site as "CPO." I took a test drive and wrapped my mind around the price on the assumption that the "CPO" designation meant that the car met certain standards and that the extended warranty was included in the asking price. Come to find out, at least at this dealer, the car is considered "pre CPO," meaning that it goes through the certification process, but does not include the coverage unless the customer wants to buy it for $2100. The salesman suggested that they do it this way to give the customer the flexibility to take the coverage or not. That is fair enough, but to all of you is a "CPO" car really "CPO" without the warranty, He called his car "pre-certified." The dealership did not identify it as a CPO car, so I do not think the onus falls on thier shoulders unless the "CPO" designation given to the car on the Porsche site mandates coverage with that designation.
If the vehicle is CPO then it should have the 2yrs/100K warranty from date of your purchase. At least that is how it worked with me. Never heard of pre-CPO. How many miles does it have? Is it still under factory warranty, is that why it is pre-CPO? I would definitely call Porsche NA and let them know.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:51 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local Lexus dealer will often show two prices on cars with only a few months of factory warranty remaining -- one is to take the car as it is with the remaining new car warranty -- the other is with the CPO warranty. But, they don't advertise the car as being a CPO.

The CPO cars go through a check list provided by Porsche -- they list minimums for tires and brakes etc. -- and make sure all the maintenance has been done.

Personally -- if they already did the internal inspection and the car passed -- and they are only charging you the actual cost of the warranty -- I don't see the problem with not having it in the program and call it pre-CPO. But the car should not have been advertised as being a CPO for a particular price when it was not a CPO car.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
My local Lexus dealer will often show two prices on cars with only a few months of factory warranty remaining -- one is to take the car as it is with the remaining new car warranty -- the other is with the CPO warranty. But, they don't advertise the car as being a CPO.

The CPO cars go through a check list provided by Porsche -- they list minimums for tires and brakes etc. -- and make sure all the maintenance has been done.

Personally -- if they already did the internal inspection and the car passed -- and they are only charging you the actual cost of the warranty -- I don't see the problem with not having it in the program and call it pre-CPO. But the car should not have been advertised as being a CPO for a particular price when it was not a CPO car.
And make sure you see the records. Mine was said that all the maintenance was take care of. A couple of months later I got hit with the 4yr maintenance.

Quick Reply: Does CPO mean CPO?