Sponsored by:

Cayenne is an amazing SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

My '05 has a hill holding capabilities.... Don't know what option group it has.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
, auto-hold (so you don't have to step on the brake at a signal light)
Is this "auto hold" the same as "hill hold", or is "auto hold" something new on the latest Cayenne transmissions?

I think the hill hold comes integral as part of the tiptronic S transmission.
My 2003 has it with no option code listed.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:39 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review on the Cayenne! We test drove the 4.8i and decided to go with our Cayenne. Both great cars !

BTW... love your stable... I guess you need more garage space.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by francars
Great review on the Cayenne! We test drove the 4.8i and decided to go with our Cayenne. Both great cars !

BTW... love your stable... I guess you need more garage space.
Thanks, only the Ferrari and the X5 gets to sleep inside for now. If the drama queens gives me anymore **** she is going to be out on the street!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:03 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Robin,

You've been threatening that for years....
Old 12-24-2011, 09:24 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Is this "auto hold" the same as "hill hold", or is "auto hold" something new on the latest Cayenne transmissions?

I think the hill hold comes integral as part of the tiptronic S transmission.
My 2003 has it with no option code listed.
Auto hold has been around since the E65 7-series came out. It's a trickle down technology. Our ex-750i had it.

Basically, when enabled, the car will hold the brake pedal at a stop even though you depress on the brake pedal. Once it senses you press on the gas pedal, it will release the brake pedal.

I tried it a few times on the 750i but found it pretty useless and somewhat of a hassle.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize this topic is a little dusty, but I can't seem to make the Auto-Hold work on my 2013 Cayenne diesel. The Touareg I traded in had the auto-hold enable/disable control incorporated into the electric parking brake switch on the center console. As I'm sure you all know, the Cayenne parking brake switch is in a diffent location. But I don't see where the Auto-Hold is incorporated.

I've occasionally noticed the green HOLD icon illuminated in the MFD, but it never once has engaged at a stop light or stop sign. I'd feel foolish calling the dealer service dept if it turns out to be something simple, but so far it escapes me. And the owner manual mentions it, but then goes on to talk about the manual transmission. Am I missing something? or is this a service issue?

//greg//
Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Tex94
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are confusing auto hold with auto stop/start. Auto hold is an automatic feature that will engage when you are stopped on an incline and hold the vehicle in place. No way to switch that on or off. Auto stop/start will turn off the engine under certain conditions when you come to a complete stop to save gas. That can be turned on or off by a button on the center console. It is down low, next to the cup holders and I believe it has an "A" on it. Yours may be turned off so this feature is not engaged.

FWIW, I leave mine off at all times and I think most others do too. It works but is just slightly annoying, especially in city traffic.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM
grohgreg
Pro

No confusion, I understand Auto-Hold, Hill-Hold, and Auto-Stop/Start. Diesels don't get the latter, it's an EPA thing. I'm talking the same Auto-Hold you are, the same Auto-Hold that was in my Touareg. Except there it could be switched on/off. The parking brake switch was on the console. The front half of the switch was for the parking brake, the back half of the switch was for Auto-Hold. My understanding is that you don't want Auto-Hold engaged when your off-roading, especially the rock climbers.

But if what you say is true of the 20013 CD, then I apparently have a defective Auto-Hold. The green icon illuminates, but I roll right through stoplights/signs if I don't keep my foot on the brake. Since I didn't have Auto-Stop/Start in the Touareg, I don't miss it. But due to a bad right knee and no desire to go off-road, I kept Auto-Hold enabled 100% of the time on my Touareg. But if another driver didn't like it, Auto-Hold could be disabled.

//greg//
Old 09-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Tex94
Instructor

Yes, if that is the experience, sounds like something isn't right.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:05 PM
SeaPors
Advanced

Take a look at the owner's manual p. 200 in my 2013 Cayenne version and it describes the Hold function which is the Hold we encounter when stopping on an uphill slope. There is also the Hill Control (p. 201) for downhill slope control. There is also the Auto Start/Stop (p. 159) for fuel management.

There is no Auto Hold or anything of that nature at stop lights for example. That is a feature I have had in MB which is engaged by the driver at stop lights to rest the driver's leg. Not in recent model Cayenne (nor 2013 Boxter) that I am aware of.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

while waiting for our CD, i am reading the manual; auto hold is only for up hills as described above. With the electric handbrake you can activate that and then just drive off as it releases automatically.

I can't wait for that feature as my wife never pulls the handbrake on hard enough, so the car always rolls onto the transmission pawls, so it makes an awful clunk when selecting reverse.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:47 AM
grohgreg
Pro

You might want to revisit that section, sounds to me like the part regarding use of Auto-Hold with the manual transmission. Unless you can actually order a CD without Tiptronic down there.

The electric parking brake on the other hand is another matter. True, you can drive away without manually releasing it. But it takes a lot more accelerator pedal than does Auto-Hold, and there's an audible snap and a physical lurch when it eventually releases. Don't have my manual handy as I type. But I'm pretty sure when you move from the Auto-Hold section of the manual to the Parking Brake section, you will find it recommends you have your foot on the brake pedal and the transmission in Park before engaging/disengaging the Parking Brake.

That said, I'm talking about the USA-spec models. You may be looking at a different version of the manual than we get.

//greg//
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

thanks, i will re-read, as its a US 2011 manual I am reading. I read it as 'anti roll back' rather than auto hold, as I thought it only stopped the car rolling backwards on a hill. [in regard to Tiptronic].
I saw some youtube vids of this in off road section.

I was brought up to always pull on the handbrake before selecting 'park' to prevent the car rolling onto and then 'jamming' slightly on the pawls.

On test drives on both RR & Cayenne, I find the auto release is a bit noisy, but not really a jerk. Maybe I will grow to dislike it when we get ours!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Well, mine's got the electric parking brake (for use with tranny in Park) , Auto-Hold (for on-road use with tranny in gear), and Hill Hold (an off-road feature). So I can see where - when you just have a 2 year old book rather than actually sitting in the cockpit - it might be easy to intermingle the functions. They're similar to the extent they all use the brakes, but from there the situations in which you use them diverge

//greg//

Quick Reply: Cayenne is an amazing SUV