Cayenne is an amazing SUV

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cayenne is an amazing SUV

Just added another SUV to our stable of cars. Now I can completely appreciate the engineering that went into the making of our Porsche cayenne.

In comparison our Cayenne S feels lighter (but actually heavier), more nimble, geared perfectly, and brakes feels amazingly solid. The Cayenne is a SUV that makes you feel that you are not driving a SUV, while others feels like a SUV.

The department where Porsche are a little behind are in the standard creature comforts, like backup camera, auto-hold (so you don't have to step on the brake at a signal light), iphone connectivity, heads up display, in dash DVD, voice operated controls, NAV little things like that.

Despite of having 555 hp, and 500 ft lb of torque from a V8 twin turbo charged engine in the BMW, the Cayenne S feels quicker in mundane in town driving.

Don't get me wrong, the X5M is a pretty amazing truck. But does require you to really gun the gas pedal to get the afterburner going. Once it's going... it's crazy fast. Insane would be a better word.

Enjoy your Cayenne! Thank you Porsche.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

X5 is a very very nice SUV but when I drove them back to back last month when I visited my friend's place (he had the diesel version of the X5) it clearly felt way more heavy and quite sluggish compared to the Porsche to the point where I was amazed.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yeah exactly, that's how our new X5M feels like. Very heavy and sluggish. I guess it has to do with the BMW gas pedal being very heavy, while the Cayenne gas pedal is lighter. I find that if I squeeze my right foot a little harder all the heaviness is gone. Especially with the "M" modem button pressed.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats Robin, nice collection.
Glad to see you still visit with us once in a while. You need to give us an update on how life with the Ferrari is going. Any recent projects?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:06 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
In comparison our Cayenne S feels lighter (but actually heavier), more nimble, geared perfectly, and brakes feels amazingly solid. The Cayenne is a SUV that makes you feel that you are not driving a SUV, while others feels like a SUV.
The Cayenne GTS is even more nimble, has better braking and feels substantially quicker then the S. The GTS should be your next "upgrade" to replace the 06 S Tit Ed.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. . . The department where Porsche are a little behind are in the standard creature comforts, like backup camera, auto-hold (so you don't have to step on the brake at a signal light), iphone connectivity, heads up display, in dash DVD, voice operated controls, NAV little things like that. . .
Actually, the 2011+ have all those things available, at least as options (except the HUD, though they do have the little variable display in the instrument panel).

Nice stable . . .
Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Puzzled.. that looks like an '06 Titanium edition? Hill-holder AFAIK was standard I thought. Mine has it.

For iPhone/iPod/USB connectivity - the Dension GW500/BTA1500 combo works fine. I just finished loading 300 CD's on a 16GB USB stick (which cost about $18). The BlueTooth talks fine to iPhones and Android 2.X.X phones. Only thing that doesn't work as it should is voice dialing on the Android - and that's an Android flaw (it doesn't work on any interface..)

Having fought with Idrive on BMWs I suspect you'll learn to appreciate the Porsche navigation. While it doesn't do 3D - it is much easier to program in where you want to go, or where you are, and to stop the navigation (a friend and I spent about 30 minutes trying to stop it on his 335i - and we never did figure it out.. I think he finally got it to stop somehow..) Oh - as KS-CS noted - the navigation can display the turn indicator in the center instrument cluster (the button on the end of the wiper control switches displays) - which I find quite useful, so I don't have to glance down at the PCM. And you'll find the "prepare to turn ... xxx" means exactly that - prepare. When it says "Turn xxxxx" - just do it. It tells you just when the turn should be done (of course make sure it isn't taking you down a boat ramp or something dumb..)

And don't let the talk of the GTS turn your head - learn what you like about the Cayenne with the S/TiEd and you may not feel the need to "upgrade"..
Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default What About Off Road!?

The off road capabilities of these trucks is amazing. Just came back from the Porsche Sport Driving School where they took us for an afternoon off road in the current MY Cayenne's. SICK Capability! On hills I wouldn't even dare walk down there is cruise control that inches it down effortlessly. We went through a stream that went half-way up the doors of the truck and no problem there either. We did the "Alabama U-Turn" where they had built up an anthill to about 12 feet high and 12 feet in diameter. Then we "turned" on it by climbing halfway up so the car was on a 45 degree angle. At one point you are on three wheels (on a 45 degree angle!). Really awesome in a truck with an interior like a jet fighter
Old 12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ I need to get my glasses to read this review....
Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
jerry joseph
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
^^ I need to get my glasses to read this review....
...or you could try a pair of binoculars...in reverse
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robin, it's exactly why I want to get rid of my X5 4.8is and replace it with another Cayenne. The BMW is fun and though the 4.8is doesn't have 555hp, its ride is jarring, it's temperamental, and the only reason why it's exciting is because every time you drive it, you don't know what's going to go wrong next!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I am still around, just mostly reading not posting. Been too busy with two little additions in the family. (6 and 3 year old) Hence all the SUVs in the house. But the good news I still get to keep my 911 and the drama queen (Ferrari). As for the latest big project it was the "refresh/rebuild" of the 996, transmission pinion bearing, IMS bearing and all the timing chain guides. Gave the 996 an additional 2 MPG up afterwards. And prior it was the major service on the Ferrari, header replacement, timing belt etc... (I still think it's a piece of ****)

I Honestly was very impressed with the NAV and the HUD in the Bimmer, my first complaint was "How come no touch screen?" Well, don't need it, everything can be operated by voice. My wife couldn't believe that I was able to speak to the car with a full address and the NAV took it in completely and found where we needed to go. In addition the direction also shows up in the HUD tells you where you needed to go.

No Hill holder in our 06 Cayenne. Must be an option.

I will give a more detail report after I hit 1200 miles, I am still somewhat taking it easy with the "M". The breaking in miles for whatever reason always take forever!

Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 11:30 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uptheorg
The off road capabilities of these trucks is amazing. Just came back from the Porsche Sport Driving School where they took us for an afternoon off road in the current MY Cayenne's. SICK Capability! On hills I wouldn't even dare walk down there is cruise control that inches it down effortlessly. We went through a stream that went half-way up the doors of the truck and no problem there either. We did the "Alabama U-Turn" where they had built up an anthill to about 12 feet high and 12 feet in diameter. Then we "turned" on it by climbing halfway up so the car was on a 45 degree angle. At one point you are on three wheels (on a 45 degree angle!). Really awesome in a truck with an interior like a jet fighter

Did they tell you to roll up the windows if you started hearing banjo music? I agree the Cayenne's capabilities off-road are amazing.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:30 AM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

While the Japanese cars will never drive like the cayenne, they are far ahead in creature comfort. Voice control and touch screen was already standard in our 2004 Toyota, while the Germans started adopting them only in the past few years.

The 2011/12 cayenne has similar gadgets as the bummer except for te HUD as somebody pointed out.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:36 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Enjoy your Cayenne! ]
Thanks for the X5 M comparison. I always like to look at what other manufacturers are doing with cars in the similar bracket, so the new ML63 and X5 M interest me. To date I haven't been able to see significant mechanical differences between those and my '06 Turbo S, and from what I read from you, the Cayenne driving experience (even with a 955 as opposed to 2012 Cayenne) is superior. The grass is greener only where 2012 Cayennes sit. And since I can't justify $90k plus trade-in for a new one, I'll be sticking with my old one for some time to come.

Quick Reply: Cayenne is an amazing SUV