Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY fix for airbag code 1218??? Help me! '05 S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Alan05
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY fix for airbag code 1218??? Help me! '05 S.

Dealer said I need to replace the airbag or the airbag and the control module. They said usually replacing the airbag solves the problem. I purchased the airbag and the control module from a dismantler at a fraction of the cost the dealer wanted for the parts. Now here is my question, is it a big deal to replace the parts on your own?

The control module 3D0909601B seems like something very easy to replace. The airbag is more involved as I guess you need to tear the seat apart to replace it. I was wondering if I should first replace the module and see if that fixes the problem. When following the diagnostic flow chart from the Porsche service manual the first thing to try would be the module. I asked the dealer why they recommend first replacing the airbag and they said because usually that fixes the problem despite the manual suggesting to first try replacing the module. Can I just unplug the battery cable and swap out the module to give that a try? If that didn't work, then I'd probably take it in for them to replace the airbag.

Hoping someone with airbag experience can chime in on this. The module says on it "Attention airbag! Appliance contains data for the specific vehicle and must be coded before being operational. Removal and installation in other vehicles prohibited." That made me pause and seek some guidance here before swapping it out. There is a sticker from the dismantler on the module that says for 911, Boxster, Cayman and Cayenne.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Alan05
5th Gear

Anyone? I have a service coupon that expires today. Any advice today would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Give it a try. Can't hurt.

Don't understand why you need to tear seat apart to replace airbag.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Alan05
5th Gear

I have not looked yet at what it entails to replace the airbag. But according to the dealer there is a lot of labor to swap it out of the seat. Then again, I'm skeptical about much of what dealers say.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
pavlooshka
4th Gear

Im working on a lot of airbag drama with my 06 cayenne.
First of all, the Module, i am told by dealer needs to be Specific for your car, matching by vin#
after accident front dr and pass sides exploded, after replacing airbag you need new airbag module.
Also, you cannot reset at airbags.com. i wasted my 60$

Good luck !! Really..
This could be a pain in your behind..
What seat airbag r u dealing with?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
pavlooshka
4th Gear

unplug your battery, and check if the module even plugs in. I tried installing a diff airbag module from a 04 cayenne s it would not plug in. different pin set.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Airbag modules need to be coded to your vehicle via scan tool, and I believe they can only be coded once, so if it's been coded to another car already, there's a good chance it won't work in yours.

Quick Reply: DIY fix for airbag code 1218??? Help me! '05 S.