Sponsored by:

How safe is the Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How safe is the Cayenne?

Given that the new Cayenne has not been officially crash tested (unless I missed finding the results), does anyone have any anectdotal evidence as to the structure of the car when involved in an accident? Obviously, the power, handling, braking, electronics make the car a safer car to avoid accidents. Just curious how well it does in an accident.

Curious as I'm thinking about ordering one! Have a little one on the way and safety suddenly is taking on a new meaning.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

It's very good.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=718
Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Thank you very much!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
race3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand that the cayenne shares some design with the tourag... but it is not the same vehicle and I don't think you can look at the tourag crash results to be the same as the cayenne.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by race3
i understand that the cayenne shares some design with the tourag... but it is not the same vehicle and I don't think you can look at the tourag crash results to be the same as the cayenne.
"some design" means the whole body structure and drivetrain. so the actual cayenne crash test will be off by about ±2% due to different interior designs.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:42 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

very safe, so many airbags and amazingly strong frame.. we're good.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1
Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Smuggled crash test footage from the Russian department of transportation authorities:
Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 PM
jittsl
Racer

Anecdotal evidence: in my GTS at highway speed 60-70 mph, fell asleep at the wheel, drifted off the side of the highway and ran headlong into the end of a guard rail. According to eye witnesses I did not slow down, no brake lights, just ran into it. The car launched skyward leaving most of the left front of the car attached to the rail and flew about 60' before landing on the three remaining wheels. Airbags all around me deployed and my first recollection was thinking the car was on fire and that I should get out of the car. Wasn't on fire it was the residue smoke from the airbags. All doors opened and windscreen only cracked. Entire passenger cabin was completely intact. Front of car was a mess but I guess did its job. I walked away without so much as a bruise. Next day jumped on an airplane and drove a race car at Mt Tremblant. Unbelieveably, the car has since been repaired, ~$50k bill to the insurance company. Equally unbelievably, the car runs straight and has been faultlessly.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Had an '08 GTS and was stopped at a red light several years ago when a young man in a Suburban ran into the rear of our Cayenne. The responding officer assessed that he was going at least 30mph when he made impact. I saw the crash coming and put my foot on the brake to prevent being pushed into the intersection with crossing traffic. All his airbags deployed and a small fire started under his dash. Needless to say his vehicle had to be towed off. Our Cayenne was still drivable, in fact I drove it at highway speeds some fifty miles to the dealer. However it was significantly out of alignment and crabbed down the highway. No glass was broken in the Cayenne and the rear hatch still opened, closed and latched electrically. There was no frame damage as the factory trailer hitch absorbed the impact. The skin of the rear deck hatch had to be replaced as well as part of the exhaust system and the left tail light assembly . Neither my wife or I were injured except for an old thumb sports injury that re-appeared as I was gripping the steering wheel. Great vehicle and that is why we now drive a 2011 Cayenne S. PORSCHE did it right.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Had an '08 GTS and was stopped at a red light several years ago when a young man in a Suburban ran into the rear of our Cayenne. The responding officer assessed that he was going at least 30mph when he made impact. I saw the crash coming and put my foot on the brake to prevent being pushed into the intersection with crossing traffic. All his airbags deployed and a small fire started under his dash. Needless to say his vehicle had to be towed off. Our Cayenne was still drivable, in fact I drove it at highway speeds some fifty miles to the dealer. However it was significantly out of alignment and crabbed down the highway. No glass was broken in the Cayenne and the rear hatch still opened, closed and latched electrically. There was no frame damage as the factory trailer hitch absorbed the impact. The skin of the rear deck hatch had to be replaced as well as part of the exhaust system and the left tail light assembly . Neither my wife or I were injured except for an old thumb sports injury that re-appeared as I was gripping the steering wheel. Great vehicle and that is why we now drive a 2011 Cayenne S. PORSCHE did it right.
I've seen you post about this before, f4plt, and I'm impressed and reassured by the story each time. Porsche did it right? Absolutely!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Another safety video, watch for the silver cayenne.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Anecdotal evidence: in my GTS at highway speed 60-70 mph, fell asleep at the wheel, drifted off the side of the highway and ran headlong into the end of a guard rail. According to eye witnesses I did not slow down, no brake lights, just ran into it. The car launched skyward leaving most of the left front of the car attached to the rail and flew about 60' before landing on the three remaining wheels. Airbags all around me deployed and my first recollection was thinking the car was on fire and that I should get out of the car. Wasn't on fire it was the residue smoke from the airbags. All doors opened and windscreen only cracked. Entire passenger cabin was completely intact. Front of car was a mess but I guess did its job. I walked away without so much as a bruise. Next day jumped on an airplane and drove a race car at Mt Tremblant. Unbelieveably, the car has since been repaired, ~$50k bill to the insurance company. Equally unbelievably, the car runs straight and has been faultlessly.
Wow!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^
+1
Old 02-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Thats why I prefer Coke to Pepsi