Sponsored by:

06 S

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
jetrainor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 S

First time here....spend most of my life on the 'other' V8 porsche boards. Looking at an 06 Cayenne S with about 70,000 miles on it......I know to look for coils/plugs, cardan shaft but not sure whether the cooling tubes are specific to turbos or all models ...any thoughts/comments are welcome.
cheers
John
Old 02-10-2012, 04:03 PM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coolant tubes apply to all models but not sure if it's all years. I believe it was somewhere around 09 or so that they came with the metal tubes but I'm not sure. Someone here will surely know. An 06 S is certainly not immune though - you should definitely check them out to be sure they were replaced or negotiate replacement into the price. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM
pokerjarvis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 with GTS. You are definitely not immune to the coolant pipe issue. I would absolutely get this question answered before moving forward on your negotiations. If this CS is at P dealership, you should easily be able to get your answer. If not, a dealership VIN history might be able to help. Or, you can probably get a verdict with the mirror trick (see other post). Depending on your geography and your mechanical skill, you can expect to pay $600-$3k to switch to aluminum pipes. Additionally, if you wait 'til they fail you'll likely incur additional damage/expense/heartburn. You're definitley gonna have the pending expense in the future and no peace of mind in the meantime.

I'm in the process of negotiating a deal on an '06 CTTS. The dealer has confirmed that the original pipes remain. They claim that "their cost" to switch to the metal pipes is $1450. They have offered to split this cost with me. I feel that this is fair and will likely accept this offer. I went through this whole coolant pipe ordeal last Summer. No fun. Expensive and frustrating. I absolutely will never buy another Cayenne without knowing the status of the coolant pipes. Just spend a little time reading the threads on this Forum...

In addition to the cardan shaft, coolant pipes and ignition coils, I'd explore the status of the liftgate struts, the brakes and the battery. All are maintenance issues, of course, but all will need to be replaced and all are $500 to do so. Obviously, a 6-year old car with 70k miles is gonna have some maintenance issues, but the aforementioned info will help you in your negotiations.

Good Luck. Let us know.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

I love my 70K mile **** Pig but its CPO'd
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

A Cayenne in that age/mileage range is likely to need a water pump and fuel pump(s) in the near future too. It's not a big deal, but you should be aware of it.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Jay
Coolant tubes apply to all models but not sure if it's all years. I believe it was somewhere around 09 or so that they came with the metal tubes but I'm not sure. Someone here will surely know. An 06 S is certainly not immune though - you should definitely check them out to be sure they were replaced or negotiate replacement into the price. Good luck!
Are the coolant tubes a problem with the V6's too?
Originally Posted by Dennis C
A Cayenne in that age/mileage range is likely to need a water pump and fuel pump(s) in the near future too. It's not a big deal, but you should be aware of it.
Gee thanks Dennis. I was going to order the coolant tube parts in a few weeks and now you're adding to the list. You like spending other people's money don't you?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

Better than spending my own!!

I don't think the coolant pipes are an issue with the V6.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:02 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

The coolant pipes are ONLY an issue with the V8 '03-'06 model years (and the elusive '07..)

Quick Reply: 06 S