Sponsored by:

Towing with a 2012 Cayenne V6, Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 PM
cmargosi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a 2012 Cayenne V6, Brake Controller

Is there anyone out there who has a 2012 Cayenne V6 and uses it to tow?

I just bought one and I'm considering trying it to tow my race car. Car and trailer should be 5,000 to 5,500 lbs. My dealer says I don't need a brake controller, but I'm skeptical.

Anyone tow with theirs? Use brake controller? If so, where do you put it, manual is silent about trailer brake controllers.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What type of trailer?
If it has surge brakes (e.g. Trailex), then you don't need an electric brake controller.
If it has electric brakes, then you probably should use an electric brake controller.

Check with your local state. There are posted limits on how much weight can be towed WITHOUT using trailer brakes (surge or electric).
Personally, even though some states allow up to 10,000 lbs (and the P!g brakes are pretty good), I would never attempt it.

BTW, installing an electric brake controller is extremely straightforward. The original instructions (along with parts lists and where to buy them) was first posted by Larry (R.I.P. ) back in 2004 IIRC.

If you want to make it completely idiot proof, I would consider the Prodigy wireless brake controller....look Mom, no wires.

Welcome to the P!g Pen . Towing as your first post ... i shall prepare you medium rare
Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
cmargosi
Advanced

LTC,

Thanks for the reply. I have electric brakes on both of the axles of my trailer. It looks like the Prodigy might be a great solution. I like the idea of not having to mount anything under the dashboard on the Cayenne, it's just an ugly look.

Beyond me why they don't have a simple place to just plug one in, like say...Ford does.....
Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cmargosi
LTC,

Thanks for the reply. I have electric brakes on both of the axles of my trailer. It looks like the Prodigy might be a great solution. I like the idea of not having to mount anything under the dashboard on the Cayenne, it's just an ugly look.

Beyond me why they don't have a simple place to just plug one in, like say...Ford does.....
It's a P!g, not a Ford.

BTW, yes, there is a 'standard' 4pin trailer brake plug under the dashboard. It is often times wrapped in a piece of foam and tucked up underneath.

RL member JFScheck had some great photos of the brake controller install. A search should turn up those posts/threads
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cmargosi
Is there anyone out there who has a 2012 Cayenne V6 and uses it to tow?

I just bought one and I'm considering trying it to tow my race car. Car and trailer should be 5,000 to 5,500 lbs. My dealer says I don't need a brake controller, but I'm skeptical.

Anyone tow with theirs? Use brake controller? If so, where do you put it, manual is silent about trailer brake controllers.
Yes, you need a controller. There is a simple 4-pin connector up under the dash to the left of the steering shaft wrapped in black foam. You buy the connector from VW and pretty much any controller and you are golden. I hooked up a Husky controller in my CSH '12 in about 1 hour.... I tow a race car with similar weight and the Husky is very easy to adjust, works great, and was about $100American...

-Chuck
Old 02-16-2012, 02:23 AM
KS-CS
Racer

I tow my 5000lb+ combo (see avatar) with a 2011 V6 without any problems - in fact, the Cayenne feels more stable towing than my previous Expedition did, and I get better gas mileage to boot. I have surge brakes on my trailer.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ckkrause
Yes, you need a controller. There is a simple 4-pin connector up under the dash to the left of the steering shaft wrapped in black foam. You buy the connector from VW and pretty much any controller and you are golden. I hooked up a Husky controller in my CSH '12 in about 1 hour.... I tow a race car with similar weight and the Husky is very easy to adjust, works great, and was about $100American...

-Chuck
From a practical standpoint, of course you do,
From a state legality standpoint, you might be surprised...I know I was when this was asked before and I went looking for the answer state by state.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

One more vote for the Prodigy wireless brake controller.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KS-CS
I tow my 5000lb+ combo (see avatar) with a 2011 V6 without any problems - in fact, the Cayenne feels more stable towing than my previous Expedition did, and I get better gas mileage to boot. I have surge brakes on my trailer.
Just saw this and strongly considering ordering a Cayenne V6; what trailer do you have? I plan on towing my Cayman S to the track if I buy a Cayenne.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Just saw this and strongly considering ordering a Cayenne V6; what trailer do you have? I plan on towing my Cayman S to the track if I buy a Cayenne.

Thanks!
It's a JimGlo Tilt-bed trailer - the newer ones come with aluminum decking, so they are probably a little lighter than my all-steel version (which weighs around 2000 lbs).

Quick Reply: Towing with a 2012 Cayenne V6, Brake Controller