Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this leak? Torque converter seal, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts
Default What is this leak? Torque converter seal, maybe?

Okay, '05 V6 P!g here and I've got some fluid on the garage floor. It's not oil; I believe it to be ATF, but the floor is dirt-over-concrete (heh) and I can't tell yet (I'm going to put down a pan to catch it, then I'll know). The location is just inside and at the back of the passenger wheel well.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Condensation
Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by wirunner
Condensation
+1, most likely your AC drain for water vapor. Wipe your finger in it and take a sniff. If it's plain ol' H2O you'll know, if it's sickly sweet it's anti-freeze, if it's oily then keep looking.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Hmm...

It's persistent and slightly oily-feeling. It only just got warm enough for the A/C to be on, so it may be condensation picking up road oil from the undercarriage. I'll keep an eye on it.

If it is the torque converter, where will the puddle be?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:21 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Any odor to it?

Can't tell really from the pic but if it's right of center then I would be inclined to think not the converter. I would expect a converter leak to be directly midline since that usually the lowest point a leak will drop from. Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.

After parking the car having had the AC on, get down and watch to see if it's dripping actively at that moment, it should be since part of AC's job is to remove moisture from the air. You could also put a white plate under the drip to determine color better. Or get under the car and look for the source.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

That small stain is post-drive: I moved the truck from the garage in back to the street out front; about a quarter mile, all told. I crawled underneath and felt around as best I could and no moisture on the undercarriage directly above the stain. I haven't noticed hard shifts or any noise, either. I have to go out a little later, I'll give it a good look then.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A torque converter leak will show in the center (left to right) and just behind the front wheels (front to back). That looks more like A/C condensation to me (unless you moved the car). Also, windshield washer fluid drains off of the cowl just behind the right front tire, if you've used your washers lately.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Hmm...

It's persistent and slightly oily-feeling. It only just got warm enough for the A/C to be on, so it may be condensation picking up road oil from the undercarriage. I'll keep an eye on it.
The AC is ALWAYS on unless you manually select "Economy" mode. The temperature is controlled by heating the cooled and dried air.... so - temperature doesn't make a huge difference.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My car always drips there, it's the AC

Quick Reply: What is this leak? Torque converter seal, maybe?