Sponsored by:

Off Road Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 11:23 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Jordan
For the 4th time, I got a flat tire in my 955 Turbo S. No thanks to Porsche for putting a subwoofer instead of a spare tire. Cut the sidewall on a rock, again... The sealing kit can't repair that. My options are:
  1. don't go off road ever again
  2. get a roof mounted spare
  3. swap out tires for beefier/uglier off road tires
Thoughts?
https://www.facebook.com/ceoscotteve...rXxqJuQJoL4Hxl
Self inflicted injuries x4.

Join the Eurowise/Off-road Vag-Porsche Facebook groups.

There’s plenty of OEM and NonOem trailer hitch spare tire carrier and off-road setups to minimize this happening.

Glad you didn’t harm anyone with these choices you make.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:00 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver-X
I am thinking about installing Pirelli Scorpion ATRs 255/60/18 to use as an off-road / winter setup, which will more than likely see mostly highway use. Price on tirerack seems good. Anyone run these?
I am running 265/60/18 Pirelli Scorpion ATRs on my 06 CTT. These are the last gen - a new, more aggressive tread pattern has come out (ATR+). I've been very happy with them - great road manners, quiet, and confident in off-road situations and in the wet. We just made a 9,200-mile road trip to Alaska with no issues.

Last edited by Chipster; 08-08-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:06 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 125shifter
I agree on the sideway but I haven't been able to find 19" tires and 18" won't clear the brakes.
FWIW Victor Manufacturing now makes 18" wheels that fit over the Turbo S Brakes. They are carried by various distributors - I got mine from Black Forest Industries.

Unfortunately, I still have them in a box. I have test-fit them (mounted one to front in the tire shop bay), but have not mounted up all four and driven around yet. (Working on other issues for the time, like a bent pivot bearing (wheel hub carrier), solved a low-boost issue, etc.

Last edited by Crozzer; 08-08-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:24 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Glad you didn’t harm anyone with these choices you make.
Whoa! Down boy!
Ha ha - I'm surprised at the volume there. There might be some risk of injury that is as readily apparent for all of us?

Other than providing a means to install another so you can still get home.... how would having a 5th prevent injuries from one that fails? What injuries are you assuming are a result of "these choices [he] made?
Old 08-08-2022, 06:29 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
Whoa! Down boy!
Ha ha - I'm surprised at the volume there. There might be some risk of injury that is as readily apparent for all of us?

Other than providing a means to install another so you can still get home.... how would having a 5th prevent injuries from one that fails? What injuries are you assuming are a result of "these choices [he] made?
Weird, you can’t detect he’s going several miles into off-road situations with low profile street tires, no spare, with animals and passengers?

One can easily succumb to heat and be injured in a remote area with no possibility for help.

I live next to a large park and see the weekend warriors walk in and need to get life flighted out daily. It’s a drain on resources and silly that it should happen.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:14 PM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

For the 4th time, I got a flat tire in my 955 Turbo S. No thanks to Porsche for putting a subwoofer instead of a spare tire. Cut the sidewall on a rock, again... The sealing kit can't repair that. My options are:
don't go off road ever again
get a roof mounted spare
swap out tires for beefier/uglier off road tires
Thoughts?
4. Buy a factory collapsible spare that sits over the subwoofer. It won't fit over your front brakes but you can use it on the rear of the vehicle. If you get a front puncture you can rotate your good rear tyre to the front and use the collapsible spare out back. If your car has the 10" wide rear wheels you will need a ~1/4" thick spacer to clear the brakes which you would carry with the spare.

If your car has dual batteries you will lose it, and have to run the other type of subwoofer. Or maybe just lose the sub.

6. Carry a plug kit and pay attention to the TPMS. Most punctures can be plugged if you get onto them early enough. Drive with the tyre flat and it'll be unrepairable in under a minute.

What are "run flat" tires?
Run flat tires have specific technology to allow you to drive for a limited distance at a reduced speed after a puncture or a drop of tire pressure. MICHELIN® Zero Pressure (ZP) tires provide run-flat technology that allows you to drive up to 50 miles at 50 mph with a flat tire.
8. Hitch mounted spare like everyone else said. I have most of the material ready to build mine, but none of the time.

Last edited by Andrew_955; 08-08-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:14 PM
AdamB996
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I came over from the rock crawling world in Jeeps but I always ran BFG on my rigs and friends rigs. We did some serious rock crawling with the KO3's and KM2's. The tire wear on the KO3's & KO2's put me to about 60K miles each until they needed replacing. This includes at least 5-6 hard wheeling trips each year. We beat the absolute crap out of these tires all the time. Drop pressure down to 8psi then back up to 35 and never had one issue keeping air in them. Keeping the tires balance and rotated seemed to prolong the wear life.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:25 AM
Mongler04
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

1. don't go off road ever again
  2. get a roof mounted spare
  3. swap out tires for beefier/uglier off road tires
Thoughts?
Bottom line, your 5th or spare would have not helped you in any way to get out of there and would have been destroyed.
How much PSI did you run your street dailys on out there? if you had gone down to about 18ish psi they might have survived but thats a low chance. I hate the "Porsche owner stereotype" OH LOOK I HAVE A CAYENNE I CAN GO OFF ROAD... yea no. glad it all worked out in the end and you are all alive to tell the tale.. it was VERY foolish and ignorant of you to think that those tires would.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:27 AM
Mongler04
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andrew_955
4. Buy a factory collapsible spare that sits over the subwoofer. It won't fit over your front brakes but you can use it on the rear of the vehicle. If you get a front puncture you can rotate your good rear tyre to the front and use the collapsible spare out back. If your car has the 10" wide rear wheels you will need a ~1/4" thick spacer to clear the brakes which you would carry with the spare.

If your car has dual batteries you will lose it, and have to run the other type of subwoofer. Or maybe just lose the sub.

6. Carry a plug kit and pay attention to the TPMS. Most punctures can be plugged if you get onto them early enough. Drive with the tyre flat and it'll be unrepairable in under a minute.

8. Hitch mounted spare like everyone else said. I have most of the material ready to build mine, but none of the time.
955's do not come with tpms
Old 08-09-2022, 06:18 AM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongler04
Mine did

Failing that, eBay has aftermarket systems for cheap.
The following users liked this post:
Mongler04 (08-09-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 10:24 AM
Mongler04
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andrew_955
Mine did

Failing that, eBay has aftermarket systems for cheap.
the only aftermarket ones now that orange systems are gone (used internal mounted) that are worth a $ are the Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System CL205
i despise all the other bulky crap out there. this system has some flaws but for a stem mounted system i have running for about 100k on 2 cars and a motorcycle... they are great. fastest response time and never leak but the issue is that all the external ones are garbage for active puncture detection. it takes a while for them to register a leak as they only update about every 5 minutes or so. fine for a nail or hauling but not off road. internal real time would be the only way to go.
Could i go get TPMS for the 955 and enable it with the durametrik or something?

RAdkins (08-13-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:10 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Crozzer
FWIW Victor Manufacturing now makes 18" wheels that fit over the Turbo S Brakes. They are carried by various distributors - I got mine from Black Forest Industries.

Unfortunately, I still have them in a box. I have test-fit them (mounted one to front in the tire shop bay), but have not mounted up all four and driven around yet. (Working on other issues for the time, like a bent pivot bearing (wheel hub carrier), solved a low-boost issue, etc.
Thanks for the heads up on the VIctor wheels. I will be interested to see how they look mounted up on your CTTS. A buddy who is a T-reg nut keeps claiming that there are off-road capable wheels that will fit over the 380mm brakes. He could never remember the name of the company though.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:56 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomF
Thanks for the heads up on the VIctor wheels. I will be interested to see how they look mounted up on your CTTS. A buddy who is a T-reg nut keeps claiming that there are off-road capable wheels that will fit over the 380mm brakes. He could never remember the name of the company though.

Eyeballing tire size; probably too tight for 275-65-r18.

that’s just one, but they do mount and clear the calipers. Not by much, mind you…
RAdkins (08-13-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 12:40 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks great. It is hard to tell how close the caliper is to the wheel. I suppose it would be okay as long as one doesn't get a rock or other debris in between! Thanks for posting. Let us know what you end up going with tire size wise.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:33 PM
BigBearJoe
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mongler04
My 2005 Cayenne Turbo did.

Quick Reply: Off Road Tires