Steering Rack Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:27 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Rack Replacement

Just wanted to let you know that if you need to replace your rack check out car steering wholesale.

Got a brand new OEM rack (not refurbished) for something like $545.00. They charged $25 to ship it 2-day that included the core return shipping.

Most of what you will see online is around $850 for rebuilt.

They are very knowledgeable staff. Not in any way affiliated just appreciative of excellent customer service!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:00 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Jeff - gotta URL for them?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:02 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. http://www.carsteering.com/
Old 06-16-2016, 12:09 AM
NotSlowNotFast
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jeff,
I know this is an old post but would you be able to dig deep into your memory and share just how you got the old steering rack out of the car? Did it slide out from the driver wheel well? Only other option seems to be is drop the subframe (no thanks).
Old 07-19-2016, 01:32 AM
NotSlowNotFast
Track Day

Two weekends ago I attacked the Cayenne and replaced the steering rack with a re-manufactured one from Detroit Axle. Had to drop the subframe down a little by removing the rear bolts and undoing the front ones to let it sag in the rear. Removed the driver side inner tie rod to make the rack shorter in order to snake it out from where it lives on top of the subframe.

The other direction was actually easier and install took about half the time as removal.

Caution: put an oil pan under the PS lines before pulling them off, simple and obvious but I overlooked this part.

There isn't much info online on how to do this so thought I'd share. If need be I can elaborate for anyone who is going to attempt this repair.

She's finally in a state of bliss. All new bushings/tie rods/ball joints/control arms/steering rack, 32" all terrains, custom brush guard/roof basket/3x jerry can holder/full spare on a swing away rack, CB radio, ax/shovel, 48" LED light bar and some other goodies.

Offroad anyone?

Anza Borrego area, this trail didn't get any easier.

100% slope

DD
Old 07-19-2016, 07:51 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Well done, sir. That is impressive.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:30 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NotSlowNotFast
Two weekends ago I attacked the Cayenne and replaced the steering rack with a re-manufactured one from Detroit Axle. Had to drop the subframe down a little by removing the rear bolts and undoing the front ones to let it sag in the rear. Removed the driver side inner tie rod to make the rack shorter in order to snake it out from where it lives on top of the subframe.

The other direction was actually easier and install took about half the time as removal.

Caution: put an oil pan under the PS lines before pulling them off, simple and obvious but I overlooked this part.

There isn't much info online on how to do this so thought I'd share. If need be I can elaborate for anyone who is going to attempt this repair.
Please do elaborate. I'll likely be doing this repair later this year on my 04tt. I'm trying to knock out a slight looseness in the steering, especially noticeable when going over road imperfections. I've done all of the rest of the front end and this seems to be the only possible piece of the puzzle left.

Fwiw, the dealer looks at me like I'm crazy and imagining things, but of course the loaner they give me while looking at it does not behave the same way.

What were your symptoms that lead you to do the replacement?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:59 PM
NotSlowNotFast
Track Day

The rack on my car was shot from when I bought the car in the first place. It would pop and clack and crunch like it was a CV shaft or something (so now I have two new axles...). The steering wasn't loose, just the noise was discerning. Was probably the pinion trying to get past a worn tooth on the track. I'm known to throw a lot of parts at the car until it's eventually fixed which has an upside and apparent downside.

Tips for replacement:
Measure your subframe to a hard mount on the body so it can go back into place where it was from the factory.
Loosen front subframe bolts and remove rear bolts, use a jack stand or piece of wood to hold the bulk of weight.
Remove drive side tie rod so the rack can be easier removed through the passenger side (good time to replace tie rods and check control arm bushings).
Swear some.
Leave car on jack stands after completing all tasks, you'll have to fill power steering fluid and turn wheels from lock to lock several times before the thing stops whining.
Now go get an alignment.
The following users liked this post:
Atl-Wagen (10-12-2021)
Old 07-24-2020, 06:41 PM
ebanks89
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how long did this project take? any special tools?
Old 02-11-2023, 05:08 PM
ShadetreeMech
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NotSlowNotFast,
Thank you for sharing that. I've seen one video on YouTube where a shop mechanic was doing the same thing. The part about the driver-side (I'm assuming left-hand drive) tie rod was new. Like yourself, he pulled the rack out of the right (passenger) side. Although, he had the car on a two-post lift, using other jacks to support the weight. The fact that you only needed wood blocks is very encouraging, enough so, I'm motivated to move forward with this. I only have to acquire the rack, of which I'm in the process of and haven't received any callbacks from the rebuilder I chose. I found a few new places in today's search.

Anyway, thank you for elaborating on the job.
ShadeTreeMech
Old 02-11-2023, 05:09 PM
ShadetreeMech
Intermediate

Does anyone know where I can get caps to block off the power steering lines? Actually, I could use a couple for brake lines as well.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:08 AM
ShadetreeMech
Intermediate

When I did this job on my 2009 Turbo S with PDCC and Servotronic, other than removing the wheel well liners, all I had to do was remove the tie rods (maybe only the left side, but I removed both. Right-hand drive models, IDK), then I moved the steering shaft flush with the end of the left side. I had maybe a half-inch of clearance and got it out on the first try with the vehicle sitting on 6-ton jack stands (taller than the 3-ton versions) lying on my back. Do not move the steering wheel while the rack is out. The reverse was just as simple. I had no helpers from start to finish.

I got the job done for about $400, buying the rack from Detroit Axel and a container of Pentosin steering fluid (CHF 202?). They didn't even ask for a core return. It was the same Bosche rack but a year newer. I moved over a tiny screen mesh and two Torx bolts to match the originals (the replacement came with Allens). I also reused the Servotronic part with the wiring connector from the old rack and cleaned up the O-ring surfaces. The new rack came with tie rods, which I removed in favor of the ones I had - they were still good, and I was careful to leave them as they were to maintain the alignment. It all came out well with no play in the system.

To anyone thinking about doing this, it's DIY-friendly. I would encourage you to do it!
Use the proper tools and buy them if you don't have them. The most exotic tool I recall needing was an offset wrench for the rack mounting bolts.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Replacement