Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced my horn and headlight gaskets......

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Replaced my horn and headlight gaskets......

I've been taking my Turbo out at the ranch while hog hunting and it's performing great. Max terrain level, suspension set to comfort, and just letting it crawl over all the molehills and hog craters. Occasionally a hard bump will make the front suspension bottom out but if I crawl it never happens- 20 inch tires probably don't help either. Usually in tall grass you can't see small ravines, so this happens. In spots, the bluegrass and dove weed are over my hood so after 2-3 trips I wanted to clean out all the crispy grasshoppers and seed heads from the bumper and do the horn fix etc. while in there. I'm considering buying some 18" take offs and mud tires here on Renntech to use out there.....Bumper removal is very straightforward (inside wheel wells and underneath bumper and on top remove 18 T25-30 bolts) but a second set of hands is indispensable for reinstall. Just have a cardboard box laid out to set the bumper on and if you have headlight washers, pivot to the passenger side and leave everything connected except PDC plug. On Turbo, lateral intercooler radiators have a small door that pops inward to allow cleaning down in the air scoops, and main radiator is easily accessed for vacuuming. Horn is plug and go. Removed headlights and installed new gaskets. While in there I saw tons of oily gunk caked into the driver side of the radiator and sprayed up onto the inside of the front fender from the pooled oil which degraded gasket between intercooler tube/EGR that many of us replace. That sucker sprayed oily crud up around 1 o'clock and coated everything so I cleaned that up since the P techs were lazy. I wiped up everything. Buttoned it up and of course, forgot to reconnect PDC. ****. Gonna pull the bumper off today and clean out the crud from the oily spray and road grime, which I forgot about (in radiator) with brake clean followed by a soapy wash so I do not melt everything, unless that's a terrible idea.

Last edited by ALEV8; 10-06-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

I'm interested for sure. Shipped to 75204 and must fit Turbo brakes. Pretty sure yours do not .The intercoolers were relatively clean but eight years of gunk accumulated at the bottom came out fairly easily but not as squeaky clean as I would personally prefer. I never cleaned them before. There must be a tech bulletin or standard procedure every year that Porsche follows for cleaning these things out.

Last edited by ALEV8; 10-06-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM
B_P
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah mine are clean too, I just wondered if they need to be cleaned regularly, the dealer must service them, I have an 05 turbo, the rims will fit as long as you don't have a Turbo S.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:25 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

I'll PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey fellas,
How on earth does one unlatch the plug wire from the horn. I got in there through the wheel liner and spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to unlatch it. Its all rigid plastic, plus its hard to see, wanted to pick your brains on how to properly pull it off.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM
joeyvaz
Advanced

Is there a write for headlight gasket replacement? Did you take any pics while doing it, or is it pretty self explanatory?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM
Hartdude
Intermediate

I use a 90 degree pick to get in there and unlatch the tab.

It is beyond any of us in the shop why with all the superior ingenuity on p-cars why they would put the connector on like that. Blame Hans, the imaginary Porsche engineer, that's what we do!

Quick Reply: Replaced my horn and headlight gaskets......