Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ridiculous. They might as well say you've gotta come to them to fill your washer fluid or check your tires
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If the CD engine has oil quality sensors built into it why would you need to manually reset the service indicator?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 AM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I'm getting my CD soon and have a question. I think I've read here or 6 speed that the dealer doesn't want us adding the AddBlue ourself. When they do it, they drain out what's in there then fill it up. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks
It’s another service item done at the same time as an oil change that is low cost to the dealer and a high charge to the customer just to keep the Adblue fresh.

Engine performance isn’t affected with or without the stuff so the age my Adblue doesn’t matter to me. Keeping current with the Adblue only matters if there is emission testing and critical when the low level warning lights up and there are a limited number of engine starts remaining.

I should be getting mine soon too.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
If the CD engine has oil quality sensors built into it why would you need to manually reset the service indicator?
It might, I haven't got there yet. Besides, the oil change sensor is only on the diesel and hybrid models. Perhaps the reset is just a generic function common across the line

//greg//
Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I'm getting my CD soon and have a question. I think I've read here or 6 speed that the dealer doesn't want us adding the AddBlue ourself. When they do it, they drain out what's in there then fill it up. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks
Why would you want to drain out a 30% urea solution? It has no expiration date. Dealers can bring in additional $150 service revenue on a $15 cost basis. I would recommend this all day long if I owned a dealership as well.

The only time when you need to clean out the adblue tank is when people screw up and spill when filling the tank incorrectly. Urea will crystallize in absence of water. I have not seen a proper service procedure write up for servicing adblue in dealerships. My proper DIY solution.

https://rennlist.com/forums/9928472-post4.html
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grohgreg
It might, I haven't got there yet. Besides, the oil change sensor is only on the diesel and hybrid models. Perhaps the reset is just a generic function common across the line

//greg//
Porsche R&D develops a revolutionary "oil sensor technology" but decides only to implement it in diesel and hybrid gasoline engines, which happens to be the smallest selling volumes in their lineup, so they can amortize this development cost over a longer period of time? Current service indicators run on a mileage or time limit; whichever comes first.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here some interesting notes on Adblue from a company that makes diesels too...Cummins.

Q. What is the freeze point of DEF?
A. A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.

Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?
A. The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

When we were looking at the Cayenne diesel for Mrs TR the dealers service tech and service rep who had just returned from the Porsche Certified Training told me that

1.) Porsche changed the oil service intervals to 5,000 miles for the US delivered Cayenne diesels.

2.) That that the AdBlue DEF would be serviced at the 10,000 services due to the shelf life. He stated that the tank would be drained and refilled.

Beings a diesel guy from way way back, and of coure familiar with the AdBlue and having the Ford product right here in the shop it raised my eyebrows. Of course getting at the tank and the refill neck was not all that easy for my wife .

As for the oil changes, it is Porsche, so what was I going to do about it. I assume if you dont perform the Maintainance per the Porsche schedule then you are doing so at your peril.

These are expensive rides. They are not inexpensive to maintain. You know that going in to the purchase.

You dont even want to think about a denied warranty claim down the road for failure to follow the Porsche Maintainance Schedule. A quick glance back in these forums tells you that you could NEED that warranty.

Besides all of that , oil changes are about nothing compared to the depreciation of a Cayenne, or any other similar vehicle.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:26 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Here is the MSDS for Adblue. It is a chemically stable product. Precipitate forms below 50 degrees Celcius. While it is recommended that product should not be stored for a long time, there is no definite expiration date.
Attached Images       
Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Thanks. Too many unsupported Chicken Little stories going around about the new CD. I'm not buying that 5000 mile oil change interval either. I will follow my 2013 maintenance manual until I receive info directly from Porsche to do otherwise.

//greg//
Old 12-31-2012, 02:28 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

I flush my brakes every two years and it is a closed system. Regular maintenance is a good to to our cars and I advocate that. I am not saying the adblue tank does not need to be serviced but just be well informed so you don't also pay for blinker fluid at the same time.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne aftersales Pulication from 8-2012.

NOT! (in this case).

I hope this helps. I was seeing the conficting info as well. Maint. Manual does not specify every 5k miles. But everything else I have "Heard" says 5k miles. So my Pcar dealer printed this up for me.

Porsche NA should send out an "Insert" to put in your manual. I am not sure if they are required to, but they better get on it! Audi does it often.

Notice the Publication date. My CD was built in July, sold in October, so I am sure the manuals were not updated.

Come on Porsche NA, get it together and send out an aftersales maint. insert!!
Attached Images

Last edited by tkids; 01-05-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
FallonBlood
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil change interval for CD in the US market is 5000 miles. You'll find that after the oil change service interval is reset, it goes back to 5000. Though you might look through your MFI and see oil change, intermediate and main maintenances listed at different intervals, you're still going to have an oil change every 5000 between those services.

Additionally the OE Retail bottles of AdBlue state "Dispose product after two years from production date"

It seems to be a universal agreement that DEF should be replaced after two years. See:

http://www.discoverdef.com

even GM states it expires (page two)
GM Fleet & Commercial DEF info

From Cummins:
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...es/MB10033.pdf

"Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?
A. The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years."

so... perhaps it's some evil plot to get you to buy more of it, or maybe some part of it actually breaks down chemically...(which is my vote, because some resources state a shorter shelf life for DEF stored continuously above 90f.)

Additionally... with reguard to draining vs sucking, having sucked and then drained a 3.0 petrol powered supercharged engine (ala hybrid) the difference was maybe 2 ounces if you let it trickle out for an hour. These engines are designed to have the oil changed via extraction.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are a couple YouTube videos on AdBlue - technology & refilling. Although they are VW/Audi and Mercedes Benz, they are very representative of the system used by Porsche diesels. The second video (Merc) is quite instructive IMO.

Refilling AdBlue is not a dealer task unless you require draining and or other service of the AdBlue system ...

A search of YouTube for AdBlue results in several additional informational and marketing videos.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:04 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FallonBlood
The oil change interval for CD in the US market is 5000 miles. You'll find that after the oil change service interval is reset, it goes back to 5000. Though you might look through your MFI and see oil change, intermediate and main maintenances listed at different intervals, you're still going to have an oil change every 5000 between those services.
This is aligned with what I was told by my dealer when I picked up (#2 delivery). My car is counting down right now for it's 5k service. I'll get it done next week and will see what it says. Definitely a drawback that was not expected when I ordered the car. While I love the fuel economy, I didn't buy the car purely for gas mileage...

My dealer told me that as part of the oil change, they fill up the Ad-Blue.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel