Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
DrChet
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm scheduled for my 5000 mile oil change on the 21st. I'll report back as to what it includes and how much.

I'm curious about the AdBlue -- how much they add and how much they want to charge for it. I was told at delivery that it only needed to be added every 10k miles, but we're discovering how well informed our dealers are about the CD... I may buy a bottle to have on hand, just in case.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM
tkids
Pro

If you read the above post with the after sales maintenance pulbication. It tells you what they do at 5k miles. *Topping of AdBlue is part of the service.

Also, regarding shelf life. It states in that pulbication to change it out after 4 years if mileage is not reached.

Read the publication and you won't have to guess what they should be doing!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Service Interval

If Porsche follows Audi/VW CATA engine oil service intervals, it should be :
1st @ 5,000 miles
and remainder @ 10,000 miles or 15,0000 in Canada
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Won't have my CD for a couple of months, but have been looking into the AdBlue experience. Before rolling into your friendly Porsche dealer for a refill you may wish to read this article written a couple of years ago regarding a fill-up at a Mercedes dealer:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...-of-green.html

It seems that the refill is a very easy task to perform, and the adBlue is inexpensive if purchased at an auto supply / Walmart store.

Regarding shelf life, perhaps you let the tank run low until the warning comes on, then refill it yourself with freshly purchased Adblue / DEF. However, I'm not sure if the warning would need to be reset, once tank is filled. I read on an Audi forum that reset was required for that model. If, however, you refill prior to the dashboard warning, no reset is required -- but then your fluid could become stale. Perhaps there's a gauge in the CD that makes the warning go away when tank is filled. Anyone know.

Regarding the filling, I assume that the valve in the tank to add the fluid is standardized, so that the small bottles (1/2 gal) can be screwed on directly and pushed down, as on the video that someone posted. I read elsewhere that some owners cut the bottom off the filler bottle, then use it as a funnel, pouring from a 2 gal container, or you can cut the top of the bottle off, and screw it onto the 2 gal container.

Won't be long before some of you will be facing these challenges, so let us know how it goes.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
DrChet
5th Gear

Default Had the 5000 mile service

Just had the 5000 mile service done yesterday. From the invoice, I got:

Oil filter ($24.88)
Sealing ring (4.06)
7 quarts of oil ($83.44)
2 jugs of AdBlue ($39.00)

I got a $15 discount from my PCA membership. The SA was surprised it was that much, but since the oil is not yet a bulk product, the discount applied.

Total out the door was $264. I was originally quoted an estimate of $216, but the AdBlue pushed it up.

Service interval was set to 5000 miles, and the SA said every 5000 miles was the standard for the diesel.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrChet
Just had the 5000 mile service done yesterday. From the invoice, I got:

Oil filter ($24.88)
Sealing ring (4.06)
7 quarts of oil ($83.44)
2 jugs of AdBlue ($39.00)

I got a $15 discount from my PCA membership. The SA was surprised it was that much, but since the oil is not yet a bulk product, the discount applied.

Total out the door was $264. I was originally quoted an estimate of $216, but the AdBlue pushed it up.

Service interval was set to 5000 miles, and the SA said every 5000 miles was the standard for the diesel.
DrChet, Thanks for the info. My first oil change is due in 300 miles.

I was at my selling Porsche dealer this past weekend, and while there I asked the SA to give me an estimate on the cost of the service. She quoted me $350.

I'm taking a copy of your post with me to the dealer when I have the oil change done. I don't plan on spending $350 (yes, I'm a PCA member). If I do, that will be the last service I'll have done there (and I like my dealer).

I was told by my sales guy this past weekend (when I asked him why he didn't tell me about the 5K oil change interval when I was looking at the car) that Porsche "changed its policy" WRT CD oil changes for U.S. CD's based on the diesel fuel we use here in the U.S. He also told me that the diesel we burn isn't as 'clean' as the diesel sold in Europe. Therefore, in order to protect itself against dirty diesel fuel rail warranty claims (something common in early GM Duramax diesel engines), Porsche lowered the interval to 5K miles.

Personally, I don't like it, and I think it's hawgwash, but what's a guy to do. Either you get the oil & filter changed, or you risk the possibility of paying thru the nose should something happen to the engine and you can't substantiate 5K mile oil changes. When I drove a Duramax truck (11 qts vs 7 in the CD), my personal policy was to change the oil and filter every April - regardless how many miles I put on the truck during the previous year. I never once had any oil or diesel related problems as a result of annual oil/filter changes.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I find it ironic, when Porsche set the oil change interval at 15K mi. for their gas engines most of us bitch and say that's too long and it will ruin the engine later in life and change the oil ourselves much earlier. Now that Porsche has a new engine and recommends changing at 5k mi. people are bitching that it's too short an interval.

I do admit that a $350 maintenance every 5k mi. would **** me off too if I hadn't been informed of it before I bought it.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
grohgreg
Pro

I'm about to order a six gallon oil extractor that will be powered by my air compressor. I already have a supply of C30 oil and 958-107-222-20 filters. At the aforementioned dealer prices, $140 spent on a decent extractor should amortize almost instantly. But at only 3300 miles, I'm not quite there yet. In preparation, diesel engine oil capacity is listed at 8.7 liters. But I cannot determine if that includes the filter. Would someone be so kind as to fill in that blank for me?

//greg//
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by NC 997
DrChet, Thanks for the info. My first oil change is due in 300 miles.

I was at my selling Porsche dealer this past weekend, and while there I asked the SA to give me an estimate on the cost of the service. She quoted me $350.

I'm taking a copy of your post with me to the dealer when I have the oil change done. I don't plan on spending $350 (yes, I'm a PCA member). If I do, that will be the last service I'll have done there (and I like my dealer).

I was told by my sales guy this past weekend (when I asked him why he didn't tell me about the 5K oil change interval when I was looking at the car) that Porsche "changed its policy" WRT CD oil changes for U.S. CD's based on the diesel fuel we use here in the U.S. He also told me that the diesel we burn isn't as 'clean' as the diesel sold in Europe. Therefore, in order to protect itself against dirty diesel fuel rail warranty claims (something common in early GM Duramax diesel engines), Porsche lowered the interval to 5K miles.

Personally, I don't like it, and I think it's hawgwash, but what's a guy to do. Either you get the oil & filter changed, or you risk the possibility of paying thru the nose should something happen to the engine and you can't substantiate 5K mile oil changes. When I drove a Duramax truck (11 qts vs 7 in the CD), my personal policy was to change the oil and filter every April - regardless how many miles I put on the truck during the previous year. I never once had any oil or diesel related problems as a result of annual oil/filter changes.
I agree this is a load of crap given by the SA. One would shorten the fuel filter replacement interval also if it is a diesel fuel quality problem in addition to the oil change schedule.

Buy cetane boosters to improve your diesel fuel quality. Fuel filter traps water from bad diesel gas stations. Fill up at high volume diesel selling stations to minimize risk.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NC 997
I don't understand diesel engines real well (have a hard time just spelling diesel sometimes) but can someone explain how changing the oil affects the fuel rail? I don't see the interaction there.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM
NC 997
Rennlist Member

Chet, As mentioned above, I took a copy of your post with me to my servicing dealer when I had the 1st service done. The SA looked at me like I had a phallus growing out of the middle of my forehead.

But!.. it helped.. the original estimate was $350.. I was out the door for $275 - still higher than hell, but not as bad as expected.

The one think my SA mentioned that sorta makes sense is, if you keep the vehicle long enough to take it out of its factory warranty, and something catastrophic happens, you're a whole lot more likely to get some love from Porsche if your services have been documented as having been done by the dealer, rather than in your driveway.

Tough choice.

Thanks again for the advice.. I'm now 6,600 miles, that much closer toward my next 5,000 mile service.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ask the 996 guys how much "love" they get for the RMS and IMS issues outside of warranty. Some get lucky, most don't. Unless the SA is going to put something like that in writing don't hold your breath.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
can someone explain how changing the oil affects the fuel rail? I don't see the interaction there.
Nor do I. What I've been tellin' folks is that its related to the AdBlue system. What's "poor" about our diesel fuel is the comparatively low cetane rating (40-45 here/up to 60 ROW). The higher the cetane rating, the more complete the burn. So we're shoving small amounts of unburnt fuel into the exhaust system. By design, it has to flow through the particulate filter. Somehow - and this is where I have yet to understand the technical relationship - somehow that causes diesel fuel to end up in the oil pan. Given the poor lubricating qualities of fuel, it makes sense to change the oil before the fuel content is high enough to cause damage. Clearly Porsche thinks this is by 5000 miles

That said, there's little doubt 5k is worst case. Folks who are lucky to be in an area where premium diesel is available can go farther than 5k. As can others like myself who add cetane at every fill.

But the fact that I cannot yet establish a logical particulate filter/oil pan relationship - prompts me to send in a sample of what I drain at 5000 miles for lab analysis. If there's fuel contamination, I'll pursue the why. If not, I've been fed a line of crap

//greg//
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Superd88
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by grohgreg
Nor do I. What I've been tellin' folks is that its related to the AdBlue system. What's "poor" about our diesel fuel is the comparatively low cetane rating (40-45 here/up to 60 ROW). The higher the cetane rating, the more complete the burn. So we're shoving small amounts of unburnt fuel into the exhaust system. By design, it has to flow through the particulate filter. Somehow - and this is where I have yet to understand the technical relationship - somehow that causes diesel fuel to end up in the oil pan. Given the poor lubricating qualities of fuel, it makes sense to change the oil before the fuel content is high enough to cause damage. Clearly Porsche thinks this is by 5000 miles

That said, there's little doubt 5k is worst case. Folks who are lucky to be in an area where premium diesel is available can go farther than 5k. As can others like myself who add cetane at every fill.

But the fact that I cannot yet establish a logical particulate filter/oil pan relationship - prompts me to send in a sample of what I drain at 5000 miles for lab analysis. If there's fuel contamination, I'll pursue the why. If not, I've been fed a line of crap

//greg//
Dealer Meister Tech here... The adblue only causes the burn for the particulate filter to clean itself, which is regulated by the DME which relies on the sensors(before and aft of the filter) to determine the filter's efficiencey during operation. Since the TDI engine is VW/Audi sourced they(Porsche) relied on their (VW/Audi who are paranoid on the fuel quality here)recommendations for services. Porsche on the other hand, has a wonderful history of using maintenance values to get their ratings up(refer to the 20k oil service intervals of yore for J.D.Power cost of ownership). So there ya go.....
First-hand experience on several of these reveals the oil is ugly at 5k on most Cayennes, and please make sure they pull the plug, I got over a qt out versus using the Audi suction machine in the dipstick. And make sure they allow 1/2 hr for drainage minimum hot. Reality is if the vehicle is driven short trips(especially in colder climates) you will definately smell diesel in the oil, and then the oil's lubricity is compromised. I for one who also have experience with "real diesels" would have opted for a larger pan/capacity to negate some of this and increase service intervals.
Id also recommend: theres a mini bottle of Adblue out that will allow your vehicle to run awhile...when your adblue warnings are ignored or youre in the middle of the Sahara or youre towing(this uses most amounts), the DME will shut it down. Keep one of these handy if your a travelor. Most Porsche dealers dont have these yet but your friendly BMW dealer does.
Another note on your oil level sensors, Theyre dynamic sensors, I fill these vehicled using the PIWIS 2 tester, full =200 value, I fill to 180, oil will expand slightly when at 100c therefore the fill range needs a buffer. If your shop does the right thing and fills perfectly to 200 then you will get overfill light. Im not sold on these sensors myself... too touchy. Tech specs say 203 is the threshold for your light actuation. In diagnosis on the 180 fill ive got historical readings of 197 and lower...good for us and your light. Hope this helps....
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg

//greg//
Greg, I would be super interested in seeing what you get if you sent in your oil for a UOA at Blackstone or someplace similar.

Being that I do my own oil changes (the principal of the thing) I do not anticipate this costing me big bucks, so I don't have much trouble changing the oil at every 5k. Kind of makes it easy to remember too.

Where are you planning on hooking your extractor up to? I'm not that familiar with these engines, are you going in through the filler port or is there a dipstick tube that's capped and can be used? I know in certain VAG engines with the electronic oil level monitor there are, but in the BMW's with the similar monitor there is no tube at all.

I have a hand vacuum extractor but I've honestly never used it for an oil change - used it more for gearbox fluid changes, etc.

Quick Reply: 1st oil change in Cayenne Diesel