Air Suspension Faulty - Workshop Message Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Suspension Faulty - Workshop Message Help

Hi all

For the second time since getting the late 2004 CTT i have the air suspension faulty Visit workshop message.

The first time was on the way back from the supplying dealer after they had spent some time trying to diagnose the faulty keyless go door button and draining some water from the passenger side sill. I assume they had the car connected to their diagnostic equipment during that day?

The second time, today, was after its been stood since Friday mid day.

On both occasions the car doesn't feel any different and the suspension can be changed from sport to normal etc. and it can be raised also.

It is possible that a slight voltage drop might be triggering this message? If so, i must have another issue as the battery is only 3 months old (changed before i took ownership).

Any advice welcome?

Thanks

Carl
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 793 Posts

It's possible that your compressor needs to be rebuilt. This is a pretty common issue on Cayennes with air suspension. If the compressor takes too long to move the suspension into the selected or required position, it triggers a warning light. The kit to rebuild it is inexpensive, and it's a fairly easy DIY if you are so inclined. I had mine done a few years ago for the same issue and it works properly now. If this isn't the issue, then it could be a bad sensor.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM
carlos50
Instructor

Hi Dennis

I dont ask it to raise or lower, sport or normal etc when this happens, it just happened twice about a week or so apart and about 2 mins after start up each time. The first time i had a 20 minute drive home and it was fine on the next journey so i had thought that perhaps that was enough time to charge the battery back to full if its being drained and triggering the fault.

How will i know if its a compressor rebuild and do you have details, if its not too difficult or expensive it may be a good idea to sort it out regardless?

Thanks

Carl
Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 PM
carlos50
Instructor

The message is in red incase that makes a difference?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:41 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Usually it sounds like the compressor fixes it but it didn't in my case. Looks like the repair kits are on National backorder according to Jim Ellis Porsche.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/100698010A/ES289283/
Old 11-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos50
Hi Dennis

I dont ask it to raise or lower, sport or normal etc when this happens, it just happened twice about a week or so apart and about 2 mins after start up each time. The first time i had a 20 minute drive home and it was fine on the next journey so i had thought that perhaps that was enough time to charge the battery back to full if its being drained and triggering the fault.

How will i know if its a compressor rebuild and do you have details, if its not too difficult or expensive it may be a good idea to sort it out regardless?

Thanks

Carl
Mine was the same way. It would come on while driving, but the suspension appeared to function normally when I activated it with the control switch. I noticed the problem most often when going up and down the mountain to Denver (something I do frequently) which is an elevation change of over 2,000 feet. My independent mechanic rebuilt my compressor based on the symptoms I described and it solved my issue. I think there's a DIY here or on renntech that shows how to do the rebuild. It doesn't look hard.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:32 PM
carlos50
Instructor

Will give it back to the supplying dealer to sort when they investigate the steaming up of the windows, only had it 2 weeks and already a few faults, thank god I have a 30 day fix period here in the UK but that runs out soon.

Love the car so much hope it doesn't start to be problematic?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Mine also had the steaming windows. I was the servo motor for the fresh air flap. Quite a common problem on Cayenne's and Touareg's. The new Servo motor was cheap and fairly easy to install (it's located down in the right side footwell by the cabin filter...LHD car, not sure if RHD is opposite side or the same). Solved the fogged windows which were annoying. Without Durametric or a scan from the dealer it is hard to troubleshoot many of the problems without the fault codes.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Do you have a photo of the fresh air flap so i can see what im looking for? How much is a servo motor?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Mine was the same way. It would come on while driving, but the suspension appeared to function normally when I activated it with the control switch. I noticed the problem most often when going up and down the mountain to Denver (something I do frequently) which is an elevation change of over 2,000 feet. My independent mechanic rebuilt my compressor based on the symptoms I described and it solved my issue. I think there's a DIY here or on renntech that shows how to do the rebuild. It doesn't look hard.
Mine was the same way, but often I could hear the compressor working hard.
Just had my mechanic do the Compressor repair kit and so far its good!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Carlos50, PM me your E-mail and I'll send you a PDF of the HVAC with a pic. It is just to the right of the Cabin Air filter and has 3 small screws if I remember correctly plus one electrical plug and a small arm that snaps onto a small plastic arm that hooks to the fresh air flap. Part # 95562491501, $73.95 from Sonnen.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 AM
carlos50
Instructor

Update:-

I am getting the air suspension faulty message most days over the holidays and it happens within about 1 or 2 mins of starting up and driving. If i carry on with the journey then shut it off and restart a little later i don't get the message and it will drive perfectly.

At first i wondered about a battery problem since i used to get an occasional TPMS error message but they seem to have stopped now so only the suspension problem.

Does this sound like a compressor issue? The supplying dealer isn't that great and are relying on a fault code but none are stored they say. I want to tell them what to fix when i take it in after the holidays.

Thanks

Carl
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Does it seem to happen more when it's cold out?

As I said in my earlier post I had the same suspension message and the compressor fix solved it.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:53 AM
carlos50
Instructor

No not really, it just seems to do it whenever. It didnt yesterday but did straight away this morning, no change in journey etc

Will request a compressor repair, if i can get a kit here in the UK?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

I'm in the same boat as Marc. I had the same thing, usually after starting and drive about 1km I would get the fault, sometimes I could shut it off and restart it and it would go away. Very slowly got worse. I did the VW compressor rebuild about a month ago and it hasn't returned since then. I was getting a code though, if you are getting the "Workshop" Message I think you should be getting a code stored, not a CEL but a code in the computer. Mine was:
1772:
Signal lead for pressure sensor
Implausible signal

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Faulty - Workshop Message Help