Sponsored by:

durametric tool anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 AM
Cayenne81
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default durametric tool anyone?

anyone have a durametric tool for rent or loan? I need to reset a airbag light to pass inspection. please help if possible. I am in northern VA
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have one and am over near Chantilly. PM me and we can work something out.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Keep in mind, the Enthusiast version only allows for 3 VIN's; professional version unlimited.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Mike Arendt
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gnat, I am in the NOVA area and recently had my battery die. As a result the airbag light came on. (don't turn the key when the car has little/no power). I went to the stealership today and they wanted $70 to reset it. Any chance you'd be willing to help another P-car owner out with your Durametric? I work in the Tyson's Corner area and would be happy to buy you a couple drinks for your time. many thanks, Mike
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a Cayenne, you are going to need at one time or another to read or reset codes. Everyone should just go out and get their own, it will pay for itself. Imagine the next time you have trouble, and you post to the Forum, someone will ask you what codes you have and you will not be able to answer.

I am going to purchase one. Come to think of it, I am going to get it now as I need it to reset the 48K maintenance warning after I change the Oil. Its just $287 Durametric
Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike Arendt
Gnat, I am in the NOVA area and recently had my battery die. As a result the airbag light came on. (don't turn the key when the car has little/no power). I went to the stealership today and they wanted $70 to reset it. Any chance you'd be willing to help another P-car owner out with your Durametric? I work in the Tyson's Corner area and would be happy to buy you a couple drinks for your time. many thanks, Mike
Mike, I'm up for letting you use it if we can make it work. You haven't posted enough to be able to PM though and I'm not posting my email address to an open forum
Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJim
If you have a Cayenne, you are going to need at one time or another to read or reset codes. Everyone should just go out and get their own, it will pay for itself. Imagine the next time you have trouble, and you post to the Forum, someone will ask you what codes you have and you will not be able to answer.

I am going to purchase one. Come to think of it, I am going to get it now as I need it to reset the 48K maintenance warning after I change the Oil. Its just $287 ]
+1 Almost a need to own in my book.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

One thought to keep in mind - the $287 one is the "enthusiast" model - which is limited to use with 3 VIN #'s. Or roughly $100/vehicle.

Loan mine out? Sure - for $287..

And it is a "need to own".. had to take the P!G through NJ inspection today. The "service now" warning was showing up on the display since I hadn't reset the service interval last time I changed the oil (I do 2x changes for each one called for on the truck..) - but figured if the Inspection clowns saw that warning they'd flunk it (all the inspection in NJ now consists of is plugging the vehicle into an OBD-II computer - and seeing if the emissions is OK.)

So - used it about 9AM this morning. Passed inspection at 10AM. Yup - gotta have tool. Just buy one.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:03 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deilenberger
One thought to keep in mind - the $287 one is the "enthusiast" model - which is limited to use with 3 VIN #'s.
That's been pointed out in this thread already

I also wouldn't offer to loan mine out (we already have 2 P-Cars), but I have a Pro version so I have no problem helping out another P-Car owner if they are in need.

I do agree that if you are going to do your own work or have it done somewhere that doesn't have a PIWIS/Durametric then you should have one. If that doesn't normally apply, however, then it's perfectly understandable that you wouldn't want to drop a few hundred bucks on something that is going to gather dust.

Even though we've had the 996 since 02 I only got mine after I bought the P!g in 12. Same with the Bavtechnic for the BMW, just haven't been able to justify it as much as I think it would be good to have.

Now if the same person kept needing it over and over my helpfulness may wane quickly.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:58 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made my purchase. Looking forward to Plugging it in for the first time, changing the Oil and resetting the Service in 100Mi

Quick Reply: durametric tool anyone?