Sponsored by:

Finally pulled the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:31 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally pulled the trigger

...and bought a 2008 Cayenne. My 2004 Discovery, while only 104K miles young was feeling long in the tooth. It has been my winter vehicle for the past five years. I sold my 97 Targa last year, and have been casually looking for a replacement.
Taking our six year-old twins into account, I thought that I would try one vehicle for a while. 4WD is a must, between winter and our trips to OBX. Since I've had a p-car of some sort in the driveway for the past 26 years, I thought that I would give a Cayenne a shot. I had a nice '05 CTT, an '06 and '08 CS on my short list. Of course, cooling tubes and T conns made me pause on the pre-'08's. There was a reasonably-priced base sitting at the local dealer, and when they knocked a couple thousand off the price, I thought that I should at least see how sedate it was compared to the higher HP vehicles. I was happy with performance and condition. One owner, and it's showroom-new in the interior. When I was able to finagle another couple $K off the price AND get them to give me almost what I could sell the LR for, I had to take the deal.

Yeah, the twin turbo would have been cool (especially with my TWN8OH license plate), but I decided not to roll for box cars. I want to thank everyone on the forum for covering a lot of topics, which let me do a lot of research over the past couple of months.

Cheers!
Attached Images    
Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 PM
dandelos
Advanced

Congrats! You're putting me to shame -- I still haven't gotten around to posting pics of our own new addition to the family (purchased back in July).
Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats... you have just entered hell's gate
Old 10-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!

It must be the month for Gray cars....
Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 PM
bansasn
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
pchak
Pro

@dandelos-
Having been a RL member, I just know the drill. Don't say a word unless you post pix!

It seems that there's a bogeyman with every p-car I've owned:
944's-timing belts (esp my 944S)
Boxster-engine porosity
993's-SAI (993 Targa-glass roof)
996-RMS/IMS

but never had issues

I figured that I would hedge my bets and stick with the v-6...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 791 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the P!g Pen!
Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome should be A LOT more refined than the disco. Probably not any slower either.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 AM
pchak
Pro

The disco was a drunk rhino, and not anywhere as fast. Only 218HP to move about 5300 lbs, and bad gearing to boot. Once you got it up "on plane", it rode fairly well. Handling was wretched. The cayenne is unbelievably faster, and really feels like a Porsche. I'll miss the Disco, because it was a big, forgiving hauler, that would go anywhere. But it really was like a work truck.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pchak
The disco was a drunk rhino, and not anywhere as fast. Only 218HP to move about 5300 lbs, and bad gearing to boot. Once you got it up "on plane", it rode fairly well. Handling was wretched. The cayenne is unbelievably faster, and really feels like a Porsche. I'll miss the Disco, because it was a big, forgiving hauler, that would go anywhere. But it really was like a work truck.
A couple weeks ago I saw a decal on the back window of a Land Rover/Range Rover (don't remember which) that looked like a British phone booth. Is there some meaning behind that?

I've seen the toaster decals on the back of Soul / Scion Wagon and understand that reference but don't know about the phone booth.

Maybe we should get Divot Enterprises to make up a bunch of P!g decals??
Old 10-22-2013, 12:01 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats and welcome neighbor Looks like you found a beauty.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 PM
pchak
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
A couple weeks ago I saw a decal on the back window of a Land Rover/Range Rover (don't remember which) that looked like a British phone booth. Is there some meaning behind that?

I've seen the toaster decals on the back of Soul / Scion Wagon and understand that reference but don't know about the phone booth.

Maybe we should get Divot Enterprises to make up a bunch of P!g decals??
I'm was assuming it's a Dr. Who reference (but that's really a call box-still maybe).

I don't get the toaster ref (except that the Soul looks like one-otherwise, when I think of toasters I think BSG).

I think that decal would be cool. I'm sure I can't be the only one, but the car's initial name is "Peppa P!g". I had to explain the P!g Pen reference to my wife, but the twinadoes used to watch that cartoon all the time.

I didn't give it much thought until now, but I regularly participate in (and win) charity chili cook-offs. Perhaps it's serendipity.

Last edited by pchak; 10-23-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 173 Posts

Congrats. Great looking car.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:47 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Congratulations. Your decision making process which led to a nice V6 Cayenne resonates with me.

I'm on my second Cayenne and chose a 2nd Gen V6 as well. I didn't want to experience again what I did with my first one - an 04 CS, which could've soured some people on the Porsche brand. Good thing I've had over a couple of decades of great memories with previous Porsches.

For US roads, the V6 is sufficient as long as you are willing to operate the engine in the upper RPM range. Besides, it can still tow my race car. Lastly, it feels more balanced handling-wise with less weight in front.

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger