Sponsored by:

Tire Stem Valve Caps

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 AM
dandelos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire Stem Valve Caps

Lost the two rear caps and since then the left rear tire has been losing pressure too quickly (i.e. 45 to 37 drop within a week). I know the caps aren't really supposed to prevent pressure loss as much as keep the stem valve clear of mud and debris, but who knows. Might be a nail, though the tires are worn and are due to be changed anytime now anyway.

And writing this it just occurred to me that I could transfer the front caps to the rear to test the pressure loss theory out. Oh well...

In any case, does anyone have any recommendations for good and cheap tire stem valve caps that I can get? I read that metal isn't recommended, as different alloys might bond over time, so I should stick to plastic?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

You could not tighten the valve caps tight enough in order to keep 30+ psi in the tire so it's probably a nail. On TPMS systems use plastic caps only.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen ice form in valve stems, preventing them from sealing all the way. This is a possibility with your cap missing if you're in a cold climate.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the valve core is screwed in tight. With the cap gone, some foreign object might have gotten in the stem and loosened the core just a bit.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 AM
dandelos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
You could not tighten the valve caps tight enough in order to keep 30+ psi in the tire so it's probably a nail. On TPMS systems use plastic caps only.
Noted, thanks!

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I have seen ice form in valve stems, preventing them from sealing all the way. This is a possibility with your cap missing if you're in a cold climate.
Moderate SoCal weather here, and car is garaged, so I doubt ice is a factor. Thanks, though.

Originally Posted by Renn 951
Make sure the valve core is screwed in tight. With the cap gone, some foreign object might have gotten in the stem and loosened the core just a bit.
Will check, thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

If you were between the freezing temps drop and you had checked the tire relatively warm and now again with real cold temps that you account for some of it, but of course it would affect all tires equally.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:02 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by dandelos
Lost the two rear caps and since then the left rear tire has been losing pressure too quickly (i.e. 45 to 37 drop within a week). I know the caps aren't really supposed to prevent pressure loss as much as keep the stem valve clear of mud and debris, but who knows. Might be a nail, though the tires are worn and are due to be changed anytime now anyway.

And writing this it just occurred to me that I could transfer the front caps to the rear to test the pressure loss theory out. Oh well...

In any case, does anyone have any recommendations for good and cheap tire stem valve caps that I can get? I read that metal isn't recommended, as different alloys might bond over time, so I should stick to plastic?

Thanks in advance!
Caps DO prevent pressure loss. Replace with metal and see if that makes a difference.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Troll or uber-cheapskate?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM
dandelos
Advanced

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
Troll or uber-cheapskate?
Me? I can be a troll sometimes and am not ashamed to admit that I'm most certainly a cheapskate (or perhaps to be PC, a deal finder). But it was an honest-to-goodness question/OP. I've seen several caps being sold on Amazon and eBay, and while cost is always a factor for me, quality is also a significant consideration, especially when it comes to our cars. I don't want to buy any ol' set of caps just because they are only a few bucks without being convinced they're the right ones for our needs (durable, won't cause additional issues, etc). So if anyone has any specific cap recommendations I'm still all eyes+ears.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Caps protect the stem valve from dirt/debris; the "seal" they provide may help slowing loss in a complete valve failure. Replace the stem valve at a local tire store.

Last edited by DWPC; 01-10-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Stem Valve Caps