Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found *my* SUV!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts

I thought DH meant Designated Husband. My Bad.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by akillian24
DH is not a car guy, so the entire concept of buying a porsche in any form is being done solely for a happy wife, bless him.
You may not know what you are starting then

Cars were all about A -> B for me until I bought the 996 for my wife. It's been all down hill since then
Old 01-12-2014, 02:18 PM
porschefan931
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought our Cayenne as a daily driver for me, but i'm always wrestling the keys from my wife. She loves the driving position but it was the Panorama roof that sold her, that and the Alcantara head lining.

The Pano roof is pretty nice when your driving through the mountains, although i don't think there are too many of those in Texas.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:02 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
If this is your first Porsche (from this dealer), I'd go in at 4% and expect maybe 2. Play up that you are buying their spec car that has options you wouldn't be interested in if you built it yourself. If you have other dealers in your area, take the spec to them and see what they'd do.
Go in at 10% and take 7, maybe 8%. Be aggressive. Why pussyfoot around and come in like a supplicant at a meager 4%, willing to take 2% when there is more room there and we all know it.

What are they going to do, not sell you the car? Great. Someone else will. Make sure they know you understand that.

Originally Posted by gnat
Porsche has gotten either scared or greedy and has a 5k OCI even when the VW and Audi cars using the same engine have higher intervals. You are also supposed to drain the water from the fuel filter at 10k and replace it at 20k which are probably also on the aggressive side. Then there is the AdBlue, but that's simple and cheap too if you don't let the dealer rob you.
Not sure about draining the water. I've never drained water from my fuel/water separator in 15 years of diesel ownership (3 vehicles). I just change the filters every other oil change (so, yes, 20,000 miles); diesel fuel is dirty stuff.

In my Ram, I carry a spare fuel filter and have done at least one change on the side of the road after getting some bad fuel. In the Benz, it's more involved and requires access to a shop and more tools to do the change, so I don't carry a spare there.

20,000 miles for a diesel filter is a good number. You might get 30K comfortably sometimes and you might need to go sooner. It's not aggressive at all.

A 5K interval for diesel engines is aggressive, though.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:11 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Go in at 10% and take 7, maybe 8%. Be aggressive. Why pussyfoot around and come in like a supplicant at a meager 4%, willing to take 2% when there is more room there and we all know it.

What are they going to do, not sell you the car? Great. Someone else will. Make sure they know you understand that.
Let us all know how that works out for you.

Yes even at 10% they have enough margin for a profit, but the cases of them going deeper than 5% are exceptions and more often than not are for customers that have been buying multiple cars from them on a regular basis (I do know of one customer at my dealer that gets a 15%, but he buys a new top end highly spec'd car every year). Additionally, many areas don't have another dealer that you can go to as Porsche dealers aren't nearly as ubiquitous as VW dealers. Even in the areas (like mine) that have multiple dealers, they all know what the others are doing and don't undercut each other that much.

Unless you have a special relationship with your dealer i'd lay my money on you either sucking it up and being a "supplicant" or not buying a new Porsche if you go at it with that attitude.

Porsche dealers seem to not understand that their brand isn't nearly as rare and exclusive as it once was (thanks in part to the Cayenne, but even 911s are much easier to get). They continue to try to play it up and milk every penny they can from it.

So a good dealer will offer some wiggle room on a BYO or undelivered spec vehicle, but it's not much and no where near their cost. Now if you find an older model year that has been sitting on their lot for awhile, they'll negotiate more.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 PM
akillian24
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. The spec we are looking at MSRPs at $74,510. The salesperson is saying exactly what everyone has mentioned: "There are only so many made, etc, etc" and came back with $2K off.

That's after a lease setup so horrid it nearly turned DH off the brand entirely .. mainly b/c the salesperson refused to be at all transparent (MF rates or otherwise) around showing him how 48 month lease payments with $2K down were $1150 per month.

Le sigh. This is the part of car buying that makes me batty.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:02 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

My dealer, with whom I have purchased previous cars, accepted my offer to split the difference between invoice and MSRP on a 2011 Carrera and a 2014 Cayanne S. Both were my builds, and I think I could have done better, but that's ok. You should be able to finish around 5% off MSRP.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:20 PM
akillian24
Track Day

Originally Posted by lfish
Well, I have several. Or perhaps I'd like to, and the Cayenne Turbo would most likely be within grasp.

I kid, I kid.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:21 PM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

If it helps, I got about 6% off the sticker of my CD build.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:45 PM
AdMan21
Racer

In Texas I like cooled things
Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Used current model cayennes can be had in the $40-50k range.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:11 PM
akillian24
Track Day

Originally Posted by lfish
Originally Posted by endless_corners
Used current model cayennes can be had in the $40-50k range.
I've sent so many links to DH. He has this illogical paranoia that some sort of engine mistreatment has occurred and isn't comforted by extended warranties.
It's killing me.

So much, in fact, I'm tempted to give a look at the Audi SQ5. I can meet DH's requirement of "new car", get some power & handling and still make budget.
Id' have to change my desktop background, as it's already crested.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well you could do worse than an sq5. You know about the new macan right? I won't buy new anymore - just don't have time for the pain of depreciation. It's not *that* easy to abuse the engine. If you have oil change records... a certified preowned Porsche carries a like new warranty. Used is where the bang for the buck is. But I understand it's not for everyone.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by akillian24
I've sent so many links to DH. He has this illogical paranoia that some sort of engine mistreatment has occurred and isn't comforted by extended warranties.
It's killing me.

So much, in fact, I'm tempted to give a look at the Audi SQ5. I can meet DH's requirement of "new car", get some power & handling and still make budget.
Id' have to change my desktop background, as it's already crested.
I can understand some of what you are going through.
My dear wife isn't a car girl.
When she agreed to get the Cayenne and do ED, she was doing it as a favour to me.
After the ED and driving on the track (on and off road!), plus the trip round Europe, she wants to buy another P-car and do ED again.

I can understand your DH's reluctance to used, despite the financial cost.
What I can say about my experience of paying as much as we did for an SUV:
I have enjoyed every kilometre, hour and trip.
The value I am getting out of our first 116,000 km has exceeded the price paid.
I would buy our Cayenne and do ED again, and am planning on getting my DW a Macan via ED.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 PM
akillian24
Track Day

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Well you could do worse than an sq5. You know about the new macan right? I won't buy new anymore - just don't have time for the pain of depreciation. It's not *that* easy to abuse the engine. If you have oil change records... a certified preowned Porsche carries a like new warranty. Used is where the bang for the buck is. But I understand it's not for everyone.

Up to an additional 2 yrs/100K if I was reading correctly? That's fantastic! I would love to find a used Turbo.

When is the Macan released? My current lease ends in May.

Quick Reply: I found *my* SUV!