Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealing with a local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 10:56 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealing with a local dealer

I got a cayenne turbo setting at the dealer for corrosion warranty. it sat there for a few weeks saying the work is in the process. Then on the day my warranty was up they call me and tell me they rejected the repair dew to my (so call paint work) said my car been wreck and so forth all it ever had was my front bumper repainted due to theft of hood emblem. Even has a clean car fax. So it still hasn't had the work done. So i called porsche and opened up a claim it still sets there havent heard back from porsche or the dealer. Can someone shine some lite on this and if anyone else has tried to get some rusty ( bad) panels replaced. They said they never seen the problem i am having.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 AM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, good luck, Porsche has never seen failed coolant pipes neither...
Old 01-30-2014, 01:13 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Haha yeah I know that well they got me thinking there concerned about me and my car..... guess I got caught up in the moment...
Old 01-30-2014, 01:30 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll probably have to show Porsche a copy of the hood repaint receipt and insurance claim for theft to prove it wasn't collision damage.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:42 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

I happened when it was at tyson corner porsche and they fixed it in house. But they should be proof there. It should not matter to what is wrong with it. The rubber around the passenger door is buckling under the rubber almost causing a gap at the window . It not a paintable surface you know I have no idea what to do ......I guess just wait and really just here to see what other route I got if any....
Old 01-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Which body panels are rusting and where exactly on the panels?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes please tell us. I am having the same problem. Rust on the right rear passenger door.

Also my outside window pillars under the rubber.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Passenger side, bottom door sill near A-pillar. Rubber door seal may be too thick and rubbed the paint off leaving bare metal and slight surface corrosion.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:17 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
I happened when it was at tyson corner porsche and they fixed it in house.
Back when they were HBL or since they've been re-branded? If it was the HBL days it was probably them that damaged it and just blamed it on a thief. The way they used to treat customer cars was just horrendous.

Sounds like you are going to have to fight the issue, sorry man. Basically you are going to have to force them to prove that the area was damaged/repainted and then to prove that the paint used led to the issue you are complaining about. Have you owned it since new (e.g. not a case of previous owner had unreported repairs done)?

Depending on the extent of the issue and what parts are damaged it could be a pretty penny for them to fix it. So it's not surprising that they are trying get out of it.

Don't jump right to a lawyer, but I would suggest that you read up on the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. It requires them to prove that your repairs/modifications are actually at fault. If they continue to try to deny it (and there really is no grounding for the denial) you may be forced to consult a lawyer about it (which is where Mag-Moss will come in).

If it gets to the point that you feel it's time for real legal advice, make sure you get their findings and reason for denial in writing to take with you.

Just keep a cool head and act professionally when ever you deal with them.

Good luck, hopefully it sorts itself out.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Brit6 it's the rubber pillar on the pas font door and also the bottom of the same door. You can clearly see that the metal under the rubber is rusting bad no crash damage ever just front bumper super clean. I'm going to try to get some pictures to put up explaining it better. Brit6 can you put up your picture to to compare?? I think it will be a big help and what are you doing about your rust problem???
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

To reject your warranty claim, the dealer or Porsche needs to show how your repair work caused the defect to occur. Frex, if you never changed the oil and had this corrosion claim, Porsche many say the lack of oil changes invalidates your warranty but it does not based on US warranty law.

So what does the dealer or Porsche say invalidates your claim to warranty?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

That I have few service records (im a technician myself so I ordered all the thing I need for the cayenne from suncoast porsche and do myself.) The fact that I had paint work on my cayenne ( front bumper I.E post above). They just being plan rude with the whole thing. After I go by to see if it falls under warranty they say yes. then I take is back up there a few days later some time after that its been setting there for a bit they call and say they cannot do anything ( keep in mind no the dealer is 75 miles from the house.) Also the day they call and say they cant do anything is also on the finally day of it corrosion waranty.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:51 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That I have few service records (im a technician myself so I ordered all the thing I need for the cayenne from suncoast porsche and do myself.) The fact that I had paint work on my cayenne ( front bumper I.E post above). They just being plan rude with the whole thing. After I go by to see if it falls under warranty they say yes. then I take is back up there a few days later some time after that its been setting there for a bit they call and say they cannot do anything ( keep in mind no the dealer is 75 miles from the house.) Also the day they call and say they cant do anything is also on the finally day of it corrosion waranty.
Doesn't matter that warranty has since expired. The claim was initiated before the warranty ran out. You (and they) will have documentation of that.

This drives me crazy too. Audi dealer just runs a paint thickness meter over the area and says "nope, car has been repainted". Well bitches, cars can be repainted and still have corrosion resistance. Even in the warranty they say that repaint does not necessarily void the terms... have to fight like a SOB to get restitution...

Keep in mind they always work this way. the less that is spent on claims, the more profit they make. 'The squeaky wheel gets the grease' is a very well proven saying.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:23 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most if not all car manufacturers warranties for rust are "rust through". Take a picture of your rust and post it. Is it really that bad. I don't understand your claim either.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That I have few service records (im a technician myself so I ordered all the thing I need for the cayenne from suncoast porsche and do myself.) The fact that I had paint work on my cayenne ( front bumper I.E post above).
WARNING: This is not legal advise. It is a layman's explanation of your rights. You should invest in a real lawyer for such advice you can count on in court.

This is where it is important to understand Mag-Moss. The key points are:

It's not an all or nothing contract. If you violate the warranty then the warranty is only void on the impacted parts. The simple example would be that not changing your oil per MFG direction doesn't impact the coverage on your paint. In your case, failure to follow service intervals (see other points below) or having the bumper repainted does not impact the corrosion coverage on the rest of the vehicle.

The next part is that you are not required to have the MFG (e.g. dealers) perform the required maintenance and are not required to use OE/OEM replacement parts. The replacement parts just need to meet the OE standards (e.g. you don't have to use Mobile1, but the oil needs to meet the requirements Porsche set forth) and the prescribed maintenance procedures need to be followed. This, however, is where dealers (of any brand) like to try to stick you on warranty claims. The onus is on you to keep records to prove that all the required maintenance was performed at the correct times and with the correct parts/equipment.

Finally, the onus is on the MFG to prove that your work (regardless of who did it) is actually the cause or contributing factor to the problem at hand. They'll throw out explanations, but it's up to you to know enough to realize if they are feeding you a line of BS or not. It's been awhile, but there is a thread floating around here where a diesel owner installed a tuner box and his dealer tried to claim it was at fault for his comfort memory settings not working (e.g. BS without some serious diagnostic time to back it up).

Now one thing I could see as being the basis of their rejection is if you did your major and minor intervals yourself. I don't know about the older models, but I know the 958s intervals include a bunch of visual inspections that would catch things like this corrosion. If you don't have proof that these visual checks were done (I plan on keeping pictures/video), that could be grounds for denial that you would have a tough time fighting. Also, as CaptJim points out, you need to read the fine print of the corrosion coverage as it varies from MFG to MFG and rarely matches what the layman would understand "corrosion warranty" implies.

Quick Reply: dealing with a local dealer