Sponsored by:

Have had 2004 CTT 1 day & forum saved me

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 PM
RoidDroidVoid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Have had 2004 CTT 1 day & forum saved me

I just got a 2004 CTT yesterday and on my way home with it my ***** passenger side headlight went out. The previous owner mentioned having some problems with the turn signal in certain conditions but within 20 miles the headlight's out.

I did a search on this forum and took it apart this afternoon cleaned the contacts, applied some dielectric grease and zip tied the connector in place and the headlights back and after some driving it seems to be holding up fine. Of course when I had it apart I forgot to even check the turn signal and it's still malfunctioning. I'll get to it soon and I feel confident that I'll have no trouble resolving that issue as well.

I just wanted to say big thanks to this forum for being such a rich source of information.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM
virkdoc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I opened my headlight and found that the turn signal bulb was loose....just turned to lock it and all was good
Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 PM
RoidDroidVoid
Track Day

Okay thanks. I'm getting a set of Nitto Crossteks put on it today. I'll check out the signal problem today or tomorrow.

Anyone have any experience with the Nittos? Also, should I trust NTB to do an alignment on it if need be? There isnt any obvious issue with alignment. The tires are pretty evenly worn and steering is centered and normal.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 PM
RoidDroidVoid
Track Day

I got the Nittos and they are much smoother and quieter than the Continentals they replaced. I got an alignment done and apparently it was way out of spec. The steering is noticeably smoother. When I got it back, I noticed that they set the ride height to normal to do the alignment. I had it set to low and it will most likely live the majority of it's life in the low setting. Would it have made any difference to have it aligned in low vs normal height?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Porsche engineering did there work right, and I believe they did, it shouldn't matter the ride hight to the alignment
Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

You need to do the alignment in the setting you drive the most. But is best to do it in the normal setting so its the most linear threw the range of the ride settings.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:13 AM
RoidDroidVoid
Track Day

Inurgurl951's (nice handle btw. Lol) answer is the same as what my logic was telling me. It seems impossible to believe that raising and lowering the weight and balance of the vehicle would not effect the alignment.

You are probably right in that I was better off having it aligned in the middle so that it's not far out of whack in either height extreme. I guess my tires will be the ultimate indicator. Let's see what parts of the tires get chewed up first.

On another note, it's supposed to snow here tomorrow @ 2-5 inches. Do you ever lock the diff or raise the height for snow alone? Or is that best left to serious terrain?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

normal height normal mode
Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 AM
CaptJim
Racer

That diff lock feature on our cars appears to put the transmission in a very low 4x4 mode. I tried it once and probably will never use it again unless I am in deep 4x4 territory.

If Porsche Engineering did everything correct, it is very possible to design a car that dose not change its camber or caster while the cars ride height changed. It all depends where they place the Fulcrum. find our, but we shouldn't just jump to conclusions.

I have a friend in the business. When I get mine on the alignment rack, we will have time to change the heignt to see if anything changes.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 AM
RoidDroidVoid
Track Day

CaptJim, I'd be very interested in seeing those results.

Thanks to you and mudman2 for weighing in on the locking diff option. I will avoid using it unless under extreme circumstances.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoidDroidVoid
CaptJim, I'd be very interested in seeing those results.

Thanks to you and mudman2 for weighing in on the locking diff option. I will avoid using it unless under extreme circumstances.
Seriously, when the P!G first came out --- the days of alphas/betas, this forum was the only way to get anything fixed or serviced properly. The first non-sports car built by Porsche had a lot of mystery glitches. You'd go to the service dept. and they literally could not figure out what to do. I printed the forum TSB references and/or what the other owners did and the techs would go from there. RL was my first entry into forums and the friendships. In almost 10 years, it has helped/saved many time. For about 4 years now, I've had no issues or time (sadly) and have been mostly absent. But, I'm keeping my Tit.S until the wheels fall off so heeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaaaack!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

tonight I parked on the street on top of the drift so I could blow the drive, 10 inches of heavy wet

after a while plow came so I had to move. Sport Mode, PCM off, Floor it with left lock, 180 turn onto plowed part, drive into drive

big thrill
Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
tonight I parked on the street on top of the drift so I could blow the drive, 10 inches of heavy wet

after a while plow came so I had to move. Sport Mode, PCM off, Floor it with left lock, 180 turn onto plowed part, drive into drive

big thrill
Too bad you didn't do a selfie video of the snow blast when you "hit it". similar here.. Ice storm hit the south... major issue was idiots who don't know how to drive on snow, let alone ice - all weather tires, AWD, anti skid on the cayenne was great. Cars left cars right... me? right down the middle baby.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM
RoidDroidVoid
Track Day

We didn't get the predicted snow the other day but they are now predicting an ice storm tonight and some kind of blizzard this weekend. I don't think I'll screw around with the ice much but if we get a couple feet of snow, I might get my first chance to find out what this thing is capable of doing.

RoidDroidVoid
2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Originally Posted by RoidDroidVoid
I got the Nittos and they are much smoother and quieter than the Continentals they replaced. I got an alignment done and apparently it was way out of spec. The steering is noticeably smoother. When I got it back, I noticed that they set the ride height to normal to do the alignment. I had it set to low and it will most likely live the majority of it's life in the low setting. Would it have made any difference to have it aligned in low vs normal height?

I was just looking at the tires, which Nitto model did you like? Nitto does not make a 295/35-21. I do like the site. Nitto Tire

Quick Reply: Have had 2004 CTT 1 day & forum saved me