Sloshing after new fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sloshing after new fuel pump

Picked up cayenne from shop today, after a new primary fuel pump was installed. In addition to the gauge reading half full on a full tank, I can also hear the sound of fuel sloshing around. Any ideas as to what may account for this?
Old 02-16-2014, 11:17 AM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would take it back to the shop
Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

What's the fix for the half full reading on a full tank of gas? My indie said its my dashboard cluster but coincidentally it happened just right after fuel pumps were changed(by dealer) I flipped out when my indie said how much dashboard cluster costs so I left it alone for 2 years. Any info would be appreciated if this can be fixed. I do not think the guage cluster is the problem. Would also be curious with the sloshing- that didnt happen. Maybe the other fuel pump needs changing? Mike
Old 02-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...well they haven't touched the cluster, only replaced the fuel pump. Hopefully it can be resolved.

It can't be re calibrated electronically or anything?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 PM
CaptJim
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is making me think about things. Isn't the Fuel Pump in the tank like many other modern fuel pumps. I am not sure why our Cayenne's have two, but one may be a lift pump like a Diesel, the other High Pressure.

If they were screwing around in the tank, couldn't that affect the sensor that reads the level?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
bonemd
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a old forum . . . I had my secondary pump replaced (CEL) by my indi.. After had sloshing and half a gauge. I opened the access to the pump under the passenger side rear seat. to take a look. One of the lines from the pump was disconnected and sitting over the gas gauge sender. Reconnected it. Gauge works fine and no sloshing. If you try this make sure that you have as little gas as possible in the tank and open all doors for ventilation.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

^ you have pics of that area under the rt passenger seat? Is it difficult to get access to it? Thanks. Mike
Old 04-04-2014, 02:44 PM
bonemd
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not hard Just lift the seat forward. You have to cut a round piece of carpet out (if it hasn't been done already) Need a twelve point socket I don't remember the size but its the same one to remove the bolts to change the battery under the drivers seat. A 10mm socket to remove 4 nuts and there you are. To go forward you need a screw driver or tamp to rotate a metal ring that holds the fuel pressure regulator on the passenger side (or fuel filter on drivers side).

One note... be careful not to crimp the line going toward the engine on the passengers side. It is easy to do as you are removing the stuff in the tank. I think that is the line to the injectors. If it is crimped the pressure sensor will say that pressure is fine and the engine is starving.

Quick Reply: Sloshing after new fuel pump