First oil change Cayanne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:14 AM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change Cayanne Diesel

The first oil change in my 2014 Cayenne Diesel at 4,000 miles took a while....maybe 2.0 hours. I drained the oil from below, removing the front and rear trays from below. Much easier on the CD than in my former 928GTS...lot better ground clearance.

Tough to find the drain plug, as it is black, just like the oil pan. Found a picture on 6SpeedOnline.

Went to the dealer to get a filter, o-ring, crush ring and 9 quarts of Castrol 5W/30. Total in parts was $117.50, after my PCA discount.

I drained the oil and pulled a sample to send to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

I added 7.5 quarts of new Castrol Edge 5W/30 which meets the Porsche C30 specs. I have just ordered a case of Mobil 1 ESP 5w/30 and a Mann oil filter from Amazon for the next time for $117.

This is a pretty easy DIY project. Next time, I will drive onto four 2x12's to get another 1.5" of ground clearance.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:37 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah you have to be careful which drain plug you pull. Luckily as long as you know that it's a 6mm allen that you need, the oil is the only plug that the tool will fit.

So far I've gotten my filters from ECS as they have a decent price as long as you are getting other stuff too to reduce the shipping hit. I've been getting my oil from a VW dealer which came out to $80 for 8 liters.

Regardless, far better than what the dealers want to charge
Old 04-21-2014, 09:04 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got OEM filters in a bulk order from an east coast Porsche dealer. 8 filters (40k miles worth) for $13 each delivered. Have Pennzoil C30 delivered by the case on an Amazon subscription schedule; $7.75/qt delivered. I use a Fummoto QuikValve ($34 delivered), so no crush washer is needed (saves $2 per oil change). QuickValve also saves time by eliminating any need to remove the forward panel. Result $75 DIY oil change in less than an hour

//greg//
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 AM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

So I am guessing the oil level measurement and miles to next oil change are a dealer reset item?

I try to measure the oil level after changing and the oil and filter and I get a message on the display that this function cannot be done at this time. The miles to oil change cannot be reset either.

Am I missing something?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:19 AM
grohgreg
Pro

You are correct regarding the oil change reminder, that's unfortunately a dealer item - unless you invest in an owner-type diagnostic device like the Durametric. Without a reset, you'll get the change oil now alert every time you start the car, and have to keep track of the miles between changes yourself.

Regarding the level however, refer to your owner manual. It's clearly explained that oil must be in a certain temperature range for the sensor to report an accurate level. If you put 7.5 quarts in, you'll probably be 1 green mark down on the electronic gauge. I found that the oil left clinging to the inside of a 8 bottles totals about 0.3 quart. So if you pour in all 8 containers, you should end up with the spec 7.7 quart fill (which includes filter).

FWIW, I didn't like my first oil change either. So I went out an bought an extractor. Clearly not all extractors are created equal, because the one I bought would leave 2 dirty quarts in the pan. I'm now back under the car for oil changes through a QuikValve kit.

//greg//
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg, I drove the CD this morning for 30 minutes and got the oil temp up to operating temp and still the same result. I'll drive to the dealer this afternoon and have them check it out and have them reset the oil change interval warning.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:31 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Something's wrong then, it should only have taken a few minutes. But fair warning, the dealer might try to charge you for a reset. They did me. Thirty five bucks, but I shamed them into performing "a courtesy reset". I wouldn't count on getting that every 5000 miles though. Wouldn't be long before you spent enough on travel, time, and resets - to pay for a Durametric

//greg//
Old 04-21-2014, 01:14 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

After you open the hood it won't tell you the oil level until you drive a specific number of miles (30 I believe). It's really a stupid "feature", especially when they won't give us a real dipstick...

I believe I read somewhere that if you leave the key in the ignition (maybe in the On position?) while the hood is open that it won't lock you out, but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:20 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
After you open the hood it won't tell you the oil level until you drive a specific number of miles (30 I believe). It's really a stupid "feature", especially when they won't give us a real dipstick...
yes, really stupid.

to the OP drive it may be 30miles or so.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had not driven 30 miles before I got to the dealer. They reset the oil change interval back to 5,000 miles. The tech then used a dipstick to measure the oil level and found it at the mid-level.

Finally the instrument display showed mid-level also.

What a pain.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:32 PM
billtvt
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where did you find the filters/which dealer?

Hi Greg- which dealer did you buy from? Good price considering shipping included.

Thanks

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I got OEM filters in a bulk order from an east coast Porsche dealer. 8 filters (40k miles worth) for $13 each delivered. Have Pennzoil C30 delivered by the case on an Amazon subscription schedule; $7.75/qt delivered. I use a Fummoto QuikValve ($34 delivered), so no crush washer is needed (saves $2 per oil change). QuickValve also saves time by eliminating any need to remove the forward panel. Result $75 DIY oil change in less than an hour

//greg//
Old 04-25-2014, 03:03 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Gaudin Porsche Parts

//greg//
Old 04-25-2014, 03:35 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

I've gotten mine from ECS so far. Suncoast is also in line at the price.

All of them charge a hefty base shipping charge though so you either need to order a bunch all at once or get it as part of another order.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Diesels are extremely easy on oil and

It is hard to justify extra oil changes. They generate graphite in the oil which is a lube enhancer, and don't generate nasty acids the way gas engines do.

Maybe some of you are old enough to remember Arco Graphite oil? They made that product by running the oil through an operating diesel engine. It was a very good conventional oil but was blacker than pitch because of the diesel produced graphite.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:47 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Graphite? That's a bit of a stretch. A by-product of diesel fuel compression ignition is soot. The industry calls it "diesel particulates". Soot is what turns diesel engine oil black. About the only thing diesel soot and graphite have in common is they're carbon-based. Here's a list of what comprises diesel soot.

//greg//

Quick Reply: First oil change Cayanne Diesel