Sponsored by:

1,000 Mile Journey in a Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts
Default 1,000 Mile Journey in a Cayenne Diesel

We just returned from a 1,000 mile journey round trip from Fairfield County, Connecticut to Tremblant, Canada. We also stopped in Montreal for a couple of days on the way north. Just a few comments for those who may be interested. It was our first really long drive in the Porsche.
Driving Impression- The diesel is absolutely effortless. No strain on the steepest of hills, indeed, you just want to push it harder up the hill. We were loaded with a full complement of two adults and two big teenagers, plus a load of luggage. No strain on the engine or suspension on the car. Its not a luxurious ride, but very forgiving with a solid German feel. Felt wonderful on the long sweepers, and very precise everywhere else. The nav system is great. Love all the features and worked seamlessly from Ct to Canada.

Luggage Capacity- Lets call it adequate. We packed a lot of stuff, but the condo we rented in Tremblant had laundry machines, which kept a lid on some clothes. Still, we had tons of clothes, shoes, 4 laptops, 3 iPads, 3 iPods, 4 iPhones, a Go Pro, several cameras, groceries, bath towels and dad's favorite 15 year old beverage. We used soft bags, and I was just able to see a bit through the rear window. Pack light and pack smart.

Range- absolutely astonishing!! We averaged about 29mpg through out. We filled up 35 miles south of the Canadian border, drove the car around Canada for a week, and didn't need to fill up until we were well south of Albany NY on the return trip. Almost 600 miles, and we still had an indicated 150 miles, at a quarter tank. I kept the speed between 75-80 most of the way.

Superb machine, made the entire trip a true joy. Hope you all had good summer travels too.

PJ
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats. Ours has done two 1700 and 2600 round trips and other than the nav system i completely agree. Just a beast of a vehicle in all respects

I live a bit more on the edge though and run mine down to empty before I fill up. Pulled 733.1 out of a tank on one of the trips and had to put 26.2 back into it

Seen a few 700+ tanks when cruising. Very nice
Old 08-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We finished a 875 mile drive today from Boston to North Carolina in our CD. Averaged over 33mpg (almost all highway) with a fully loaded car. We love the ride quality of this car with air suspension and 20" tires. We also have a new Audi A7 and we all prefer to take trips in the Cayenne.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Hmmm, quite a bit more efficient than my 08 GTS that got 18mpg with no trailer on a 1500 mile trip then 12.9mpg on a 1500 mile trip towing a 5000lb trailer!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:58 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I usually keep a car for 7 or 8 years. I like this CD so much that I'll try to keep it for as long as parts are reasonably priced (for a Porsche, that is). Said that before, best long distance car I ever had.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:51 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Hmmm, quite a bit more efficient than my 08 GTS that got 18mpg with no trailer on a 1500 mile trip then 12.9mpg on a 1500 mile trip towing a 5000lb trailer!
I love everything about the GTS. Enjoy it, despite the fuel bill.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:56 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
We finished a 875 mile drive today from Boston to North Carolina in our CD. Averaged over 33mpg (almost all highway) with a fully loaded car. We love the ride quality of this car with air suspension and 20" tires. We also have a new Audi A7 and we all prefer to take trips in the Cayenne.
That is one looong ride. We've done Charlotte, NC from Fairfield county, long enough for me, but we'll see how the Diesel shortens that ride. There are a few options in my Cayenne I would sacrifice for the air suspension, smart option!

By the Way- Just had a full clear bra installed on the Cayenne before our trip- it is very liberating not to worry about gravel hitting the front end. Had an independent shop do it for $800 less than the Porsche dealer. They did a great job. Wish I had done it earlier!
Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Congrats. Ours has done two 1700 and 2600 round trips and other than the nav system i completely agree. Just a beast of a vehicle in all respects

I live a bit more on the edge though and run mine down to empty before I fill up. Pulled 733.1 out of a tank on one of the trips and had to put 26.2 back into it

Seen a few 700+ tanks when cruising. Very nice
The Cayenne kind of reminds me of a 747SP (if you know what Boeing did to the normal 747). Long range, fast beast- love it!

I would have run it down more, but Mrs. PJ would never let me forget it for the rest of my natural life if we ran out of fuel. The computer easily indicated 750 miles of range after a fill up. Practical, anxiety free range is well over 625 miles.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:02 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah that record tank was rather pucker inducing at the end (misjudged the distance and PA hills and there was nothing between realizing I had a problem and the station I was targeting). Once the computer thinks you have less than 10 miles the estimated range goes to ---. That didn't help the nerves

This is definitely not a vehicle to run until it shuts off. The HPFP has to be primed and bled which requires a PIWIS (e.g. dealer only). Getting air in the high pressure side of the fuel system is a very bad thing.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:31 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not good to run any vehicle out of gas. My dad once told me it's just as easy to keep the top half full as the bottom half. I usually stop enough on road trips for eating, restroom, etc. to keep the tank "topped up." Find it a good time to clean the bugs of the windshield and empty the trash out of the interior.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Just got back from a trip TX to CO and back. Second time, the Pepper was superb!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

While my Cayenne (2006S) doesnt get the mileage a diesel does it's not awful. Recently, I drove over to Orono, Maine from Burlington, VT on side roads (Route 2 most of the way) with lots of slow down zones and some cruising through the reaches of Maine at 75mph and got 22mpg average over 700 miles RT. I drive to the Western Suburbs of Montreal often (twice a week 115 miles each way) along with a healthy stop at the border and dealing with Montreal traffic and get the same 22mpg. Around town driving gets knocked out at 16mpg. Not too bad considering the heft of the car and I don't drive in the most economical manner.

My only gripe about it over longer distances is that I get "jimmy legs" from the seating position. The seat itself is plenty supportive it's just its height that gets me as I cant lay out my legs (support up to the knees) like I do in my 993 or Audi. My 993 is obnoxiously loud though and does wear on you over long drives. I gotta tell you though the Cayenne handles incredibly well in spite of its size, goes like stink too.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Needsdecaf- Nice numbers. the 62mph average means you were driving pretty fast for a long time. Like that 100F temp, whew.

Freddy- That's repectable mileage. The diesels don't perform like the gas V-8s. I almost bought a CS, but in the end selected a diesel- my thinking was that if gas would rise to $5, 6 or 7/gal over the years, I would hate my Cayenne. Its not a far fetched scenario, and given that the truck would have a long life, my feeling was the diesel was more a more sensible alternative. In 2006, yep, V-8 all the way.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Made the return trip today from North Carolina to Boston. 813 miles. 13.5 hours including stops. 34.7 ACTUAL mpg (indicated was 35.2). I was alone for this trip. Piece of cake. Needless to say, I love my Cayenne.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:43 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Made the return trip today from North Carolina to Boston. 813 miles. 13.5 hours including stops. 34.7 ACTUAL mpg (indicated was 35.2). I was alone for this trip. Piece of cake. Needless to say, I love my Cayenne.
So one full tank, amazing. Probably one stop for fuel, and the rest for bio breaks and food/coffee.

Quick Reply: 1,000 Mile Journey in a Cayenne Diesel