Sponsored by:

Last year this time I'd never owned a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 AM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Last year this time I'd never owned a Porsche

My first was a 2014 C2S Cabrio in DBM that I took European Delivery last October. See my write up here...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7858...ts-o-pics.html

But over the last couple of months I'd been thinking about a kid/dog/stuff transporting vehicle. My 2008 Audi S6 is a hoot to drive and I love it but it's a 4 door sedan, with a honking V10 that will guzzle premium at a 10 mpg clip in the city, so not really suited for daddy/honeydew duties, plus I quit my banking job last year and don't need an execu-sedan to haul VIP clients around anymore. So I jumped into the mid-size SUV market to see what's what.

Like many people here, and test driving all the usual prospects, I pretty much came to the conclusion that it was gonna either be a Cayenne or an X5 and I wanted to own a diesel for the first time. No, not to pump up my "green cred" though I do also own a Fiat 500E just cos I was curious, lol. Anyhoo, for me I thought the Bimmer had a better and bigger interior (pax space and luggage) and much better value -- if you optioned it up approximately the same the Bimmer was easily $10k less than the Cayenne. The Cayenne drove better, I thought it had a prettier exterior style and the car actually comes from Germany.

I was just shopping all over the 'net and kicking tires at local dealers, just to see if something... anything! grabbed my attention. Having custom ordered my 991 a year ago and getting the exact car I wanted... unfortunately spoiled me insofar as getting what I want versus settling for what's out there. I wanted a diesel, I hate black interiors, and just think that black, white and some silver exteriors are just plain blah! on any car. Too ordinary looking. Furthermore, on a Porsche, I learned on my 991 build that I didn't care for the single tone interior even if it wasn't black. Dunno why... just didn't care for it.

You get picky like that and.... you're pretty much looking at a handful of cars nationwide, whether it's the X5 or the Cayenne. Or you order it the way you want, give 'em a deposit and wait a couple of months... with a substantial base price hike on the 2015 CDs!!!

I wasn't ready to go the ordering route yet, was looking and looking and looking and... looking some more, and then found the prettiest CD exterior color/interior color combo I'd ever seen! Carmine red with Luxor beige and black interior. It was optioned up quite a bit more than I would've liked (Premium Plus, Pano Roof), but it had a lot of the stuff I did want (roof rails, trailer hitch, Bose).

Found it at Strong Porsche in Salt Lake City, 700 miles away, give or take. I thought, meh... what's a little road trip... hmm... MSRP was a lot more than I was considering so even if I got a good deal it was gonna blow my budget... but that color combo! Exactly like Magnum's Ferrari 308GTS back in the 70's yanno?! It was speaking to me.

A few email exchanges to negotiate the sale price, Val & Jeff @ Strong Porsche in SLC are solid stand up guys, hop on a 1 1/2 hour flight and voila!

Holy crap! The stretch between St. George, UT and Mesquite, NV truly is God's country. Absolutely amazing. I was worried that flash floods from last week that damaged the I-15 north of Las Vegas was going to be a big problem, but the repairs on that stretch were pretty much done. Went through a few thunderstorms, spectacular lightning show on the high desert!

Overnight in LV and your typical heavy Sunday PM traffic on the I-15 to LA, but we averaged 28 mpg the whole way!

Safe and sound at home.

Who agrees with me on the two-tone?

Anyhoo... I've owned at least 2 or 3 cars at the same time my entire adult life but I've never owned 2 of the same brand simultaneously. That streak is now happily broken.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking good, congrats.

All that is missing is a turbo label on the back of one of those....
Old 09-23-2014, 01:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Belmont heights? I'm in shore....congrats on the new truck. Nice color combo
Old 09-23-2014, 01:48 AM
lbcgolf
Racer

3rd & Roswell my brother.

Here's the runt of the fleet in front of Super Mex
Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Like the colours.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:13 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Nice.

If you see
<<<<<
Tooling around the area that's me. Or a white cayenne diesel with it loaded on trailer.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:23 AM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice story, and sweet purchase. It's nice to get what you want isn't it? I have been spoiled now, and I don't know if I could buy my next Porsche without ordering... then again, I'd rather let another fool take the depreciation hit If you look long and hard enough, you'll find the right one used typically. Seems like you hit it.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not usually a fan of beige interiors but that combo looks fantastic. Congrats on the purchase and the road trip. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

BTW, that tire/speed decal they put between the steering wheel and the ignition slot is a real bear to remove, don't know what glue they use to put that thing on with but it doesn't want to come off! Be prepared if you decide to remove it!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:05 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

like the color
Old 09-23-2014, 01:42 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Do you have to remind yourself you are not dreaming when you look at your driveway? That is the perfect fleet. Congrats, you are going to love that diesel.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:47 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking combo
Old 09-23-2014, 02:46 PM
quattro986
Advanced

Beautiful car/pics. Great color combo! Any extra hurdles with smog/reg bringing an out of state car back to California?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:05 PM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice color combo. Always nice to have 2 Porsche's in the fleet. Congrats
Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Nice.

If you see
<<<<<
Tooling around the area that's me. Or a white cayenne diesel with it loaded on trailer.
Umm... You live on the Shore, have a GT3, a Cayenne, a trailer and... presumably something else?!?!

Where the heck do you park all your toys?

I'm looking for a new house. Belmont Park with a biggish lot if I can find it, Los Altos or give up the search near the beach and go to Park Estates and find something with a 10,000+ sqft lot.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Nice color!

Quick Reply: Last year this time I'd never owned a Porsche